AuthorTopic: [Unpaid for now] Surface - An Exploration Platformer  (Read 7701 times)

Offline Mamoruanime

• View Profile

[Unpaid for now] Surface - An Exploration Platformer

on: January 17, 2013, 10:03:54 pm
What is Surface?
Surface is an exploration platformer with a taste of Blaster Master, Super Metroid, and Megaman with emphasis on players developing their abilities enough to play through the game very quickly if they know where they're going and what they're doing. It's a throwback to gaming in the late 80's and early 90's with some more modern flare.

Who is Involved?
Currently, I have myself (programming, pixel art), Jordan Chewning (pixel art cleanup), and Steven "surasshu" Velema (Music and SFX)

What am I looking for?
I'm looking for someone to take artistic control over the project. Not just an artist, but rather a partner in developing this game and helping create an atmosphere. I have ideas on how I want certain things to look, however I don't have the ability to put those ideas into pixels or paper, nor do I have the ability to determine if what I have in mind is going to look good or not in practice. I need someone who can not only create fluid animations, but also detailed, unique tiles and backgrounds to help make this game less monotonous and more memorable.

What does Unpaid for Now Mean?
It means I intend to sell this game using a pay-what-you-want business model. There's no set amount that the game could earn. I would like to have this project finance other projects, as well as pay the people involved in this. There are already a couple heavy hitters on the team, between Steven's extensive audio work (Force Majeure, Bollen, Cryamore, etc, etc, etc) and Jordan's amazing work on games like Zombie Grinder, and also Cryamore, and I'd like to have this come together to become a masterpiece.

Wait! You and Jordan do Pixel Art! Why do you need another artist?!
A couple of reasons- First off, I'm terrible with animations, and even worse with color selection. Secondly, I'd like to focus on the coding side of things. Thirdly, Jordan has other projects that he is working on, as well as other obligations to his own projects that keep him from doing a lot of artwork for Surface. It's just not practical to try to create all of the assets with our constraints, which leads me to the next point-

What is the Timeframe for Release?
The game is in the early stages of coding right now. It's been around since 2009, however it's had a few incarnations that just weren't cutting it. Now things have gotten serious for the development. Here is the release schedule:

March/April: Game is playable from the stand point that everything needed to complete the game with minimal graphical assets is in. The player can control the hero, the hero reacts to collisions correctly, and can use all of the upgrades planned. Minimal assets required, however some are needed to create the Kickstarter and Fundrazr to finance the project (that's where the unpaid for now part comes in). Room design begins taking shape between now and the next milestone date.

June: The game is completed in that it has a beginning and an end, and ready for play testing and press. Certain elements of the game may be unpolished, and graphics/audio/layout are subject to change at this point until December.

December: The game has been polished, cleaned up, adequately playtested, and ready for release. The game at this point is locked and unchanged until release.

January 2014: MAGfest. The game is presented at a booth at MAGfest along with a few challenges to get players warmed up to the game. The game is then released the 2nd day of MAGfest to the public under the pay-what-you-want business model.

That all being said, I'm kind of going for a Castlevania SotN-esque look for the game, however I'm not entirely sold on that because my own abilities limit me. The original design had the hero as a 16x16 sprite ala Cave Story, but the game has evolved since then, and I'd like a more serious tone and feel. There is a LOT of work involved, but it will be rewarded in that there is also a lot of potential PR from this project.

The current incarnation of the game has only one screenshot located on my Twitter page using a tileset I had made. It at least gives a feel for the sort of look I have in mind, however I love the idea of experimenting with the design.

Anyone interested in this project please post examples of your work, as well as a rough idea of how quickly you can work on things. I also want people who are willing to not only stick to what I have planned, but also conceptualize new ideas and put them into motion through tilesets and graphics for me to potentially add as well, because more than likely- I will add them. I'm also avoiding going into too much detail outside of what is provided--- More information will be provided to people the team feel would be a great fit.

Thank you!

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile

Re: [Unpaid for now] Surface - An Exploration Platformer

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:09:04 pm
Hello, Im Meanapple,
I would like to do some arts for you
Im in a team already but theres not much happening lately
here is an example stage I made in 30 min.

thx for reading

Offline Mamoruanime

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 09:24:31 pm
Looks pretty good, however it's not quite what I'm going for. For the most part, I'm trying to give the appearance of sticking to some of the SNES/2d PSX limitations, and kind of pushing that to the limit- Lots of contrast, and depth to the artwork. Here's something I came up with when I was starting this project up again-

Sort of a Super Metroid feel, and a lot of contrast between the foreground and background. Granted I'm not entirely satisfied with the standard I've come up with--- but it gives an idea of the sort of look I'm going for :)

EDIT: Yowza, Junkboy's retweet of this is getting it a ton of views.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:21:38 am by Mamoruanime »

Offline Meanapple

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 08:08:59 pm
honestly, if that pic you showed me is drawn by you I dont understand why you want a new artist, it looks great already  :-\

Offline Mamoruanime

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 08:42:23 pm
honestly, if that pic you showed me is drawn by you I dont understand why you want a new artist, it looks great already  :-\

I actually cover that in my first post---

Wait! You and Jordan do Pixel Art! Why do you need another artist?!
A couple of reasons- First off, I'm terrible with animations, and even worse with color selection. Secondly, I'd like to focus on the coding side of things. Thirdly, Jordan has other projects that he is working on, as well as other obligations to his own projects that keep him from doing a lot of artwork for Surface. It's just not practical to try to create all of the assets with our constraints, which leads me to the next point-

It's a time constraint thing, along with me having issues coming up with my own style. I can work off of a style just fine, however when it comes to creating a new one it's far more time consuming than it could be to someone more equipped to work on art, especially when I have a lot of programming to complete on a tight deadline.

Offline Mamoruanime

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 07:36:01 pm
Probably the biggest thing at this particular moment I'm looking for is an entity sprite designer- someone to create player, enemy, and boss assets. I can probably do the tile work without losing too much time on the development.

Offline Mamoruanime

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 04:49:18 am
Unfortunately my deadline has jumped up considerably- I've been invited to present it at ConBravo in July, and while the interest seems to be high and there are a lot of great sprite submissions so far, I think I'm going to have to wing it, and change my progress rate a bit. I can probably throw together a decent demo by July myself, and I think after that I'll bring someone on for cleanup art and finalizing things a bit. I'd like to still keep this open though in case anyone has things they'd like to show.

Thank you!