AuthorTopic: graphic for my site  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

graphic for my site

on: June 28, 2006, 06:13:14 am
when first starting this, i didnt want to post it here because i didnt want to change too many things about it( from given critiques).
but seeing as this will be the first thing somebody will see before entering my site, i have to take away any sentimental value i have with it and let it be ripped to pieces by the great critics here at pixelopolis!

this is a character of mine that you may have seen before, his name is gabriel and he has 2 forms( to keep this story short)angelic and demonic.
the arm shown is supposed to be disproportional from his other one.( i think ill claim super strength as to why hes able to stay so balanced)

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Re: graphic for my site

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 06:19:35 am
lookin great so far. looking forward to more updates :)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 06:24:13 am
well looking at this thread i can see why this hasnt gotten a lot of commentary on it, aside from it not being finished, it makes it hard for people to say short praise for an item that is only half finished, and to that effect, you cant comment on half the stuff one would comment on (such as use of lighting, color, technique, etc) when there isnt much to see.

the design is interesting enough, though i think that the facial features of this guy seem a little bland (kindof the round face, pointy , nondescript eyes, fangs, almost cartoonish horns popping out of the head). he doesnt look very... well, fearsome, but rather some dude out of an image comic book. 

These kinds of peices are so hard, because the anatomy and the actual figure drawing behind something like this, basically makes or breaks the image. and it does no good to proceed with the details without getting that most fundamental stage perfect.... and we arent quite there yet with this piece. The more i draw the more i learn i personally know nothing (or not nearly as much as i need to ) about the very specifics of anatomy, so i understand how hard this can be.

proportionally, the arm/shoulder/back are very large when compared to the size of the neck and head itself it seems. i like how the cape is draping over his figure, though at this point it really lacks any comprehension of dynamism, which is ever so important to get the cloth to appear not to hover over top the image. the anatomy of the neck does not feel accurate at all, you seem to be portraying the trapezoidal muscle groups to merge directly into the base of the skull, when they really would otherwise seem to attach half way down the neck (otherwise we wouldnt have a back of our neck). well second look at it, they clearly arent trapezoid muscles, but the way they merge together make it seem like the are being formed much in the same way... they just look too thick and divided.

actually.. dont you have a more recent version than this? i had some comments on the back muscles having a similar sort of overexaggerated, over simplified feel to them (very comic-esque in style i suppose) but then as i llooked at the image for reference its all blank there.

anyhow if youre holding out on us pixelopolis folks, i think they need to see a complete effort of what you can do before they can really put the time into critiquing and giving their best advice. kindof follow me there? it seems youve got a tendency to kindof half way finish things and then as you make a but of progress on something you just kindof stop at that and stay stuck. you need to really just stay motivated to finish these peices so you can get past the phase of showing it around to the point of pushing it near completion .

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 07:02:24 am
the most recent one

thankyou for taking the time for the critique stoven =)
here is the sketch that might show something helpful(dunno, its 3 am here and im trying to think)

heh, i guess the neck muscles(youre right they arent the trapezius, but i think theres 2 others) are like that because i study my anatomy from burne hogarth and we all know how he like super defines everything.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 30, 2006, 08:55:28 pm
ditched and restarted...

as of yet nothing is final.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 10:22:19 pm
Finish it, now.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?