AuthorTopic: [c+c] 96x96 tree  (Read 3781 times)

Offline lemon

• View Profile

[c+c] 96x96 tree

on: January 22, 2013, 07:18:52 pm
comment & critique

hello,

this is a tree for a game i'm making, i looked at a lot of tutorials and examples but this is entirely from scratch. i just started getting into pixel art after new year, so any advice will be greatly appreciated!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:21:15 pm by lemon »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: [c+c] 96x96 tree

Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 09:19:49 pm
Hey hey hey, you can't go stealing my name like that!  :lol:
You're the second person I know of that started pixeling this year. I myself started getting serious this year too  ;)

Anyways, the critique:

Your tree is pretty good!

A pattern I see is that every light-colored mound has a dark line inside. I guess this was done to imitate the dark middle part of individual leaves?
In the dark part of the tree, though, the opposite is true: the lines inside the blobs are of a lighter color than the blobs themselves. Maybe they should be darker as well? To be consistent with the other ones? Don't trust me on this, it might end up worse  :crazy:

The three or four pixels floating around are to give the feeling of branches that aren't completely covered by the leaves, but I think you should make these "holes" a bit bigger. And, maybe use a darker wood color, because those two wood pixels on the left probably wouldn't have a direct source of light.

The outline on the upper part of the tree is of a darker green, but the one on the darker part is the same green, that is, non-existant. Try outlining it with a darker green to see if it looks better.

The upper-right part of the tree is a small transition between the light and dark parts, but because it has less colors than either of the two, it looks as if unfinished, sort of. Maybe use the dark green to shade a bit, but not as excessively as the dark part.

All in all, it's pretty good. (Had trouble looking for flaws :P) It sure doesn't look like the work of a beginner  ;)

Offline lemon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 09:45:39 pm
bump

i've checked everyday but still no replies :(

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 10:41:15 pm
bump

i've checked everyday but still no replies :(

:-\

YellowLime just gave some good coverage in the post above yours.  Perhaps you skipped over it?