AuthorTopic: Self portrait [WIP]  (Read 7611 times)

Offline DOT33102

• Dots are pixels , pixels are art :D voila !
    • View Profile

Self portrait [WIP]

on: January 30, 2013, 07:47:27 pm
Heya :D i was dabbling around while making my avatar then i decided to make it look exactly like me OO anyways gotta warn you all it aint done yet :D but yah here it is

any help would be appreciated or even edit :D

Cant realy seem to draw the t -shirt  :P its supposed to be a green polo shirt with brown parts from top id realy appreciate it if any one can draw the tshirt? iv completed the neck part here it is :D :

fixed the shape abit too look exactly like me :D here it is :
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:44:26 pm by DOT33102 »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Re: Self portrait [WIP]

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 09:12:47 pm
Hi there

It would be of great help if we could have some kind of reference picture to follow!

Will be easier to judge and help you progress

//coffee

Offline DOT33102

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 09:57:05 pm
Hello :D ok well i didnt have a referance picture to look to i was just looking at the mirror and copying wat i see lol anyways right now my hair is way diffrent it has grown out i was trying to draw how i used to look like in about 2 months ago anyways i just took a picture of myself :D and on secound thought maybe nvm on the tshirt if you could be able on replacing that with a skinny tshirt that wud be nice iam hoping i could make the whole body and face and probably add a skate board in my hand also  i woudlnt mind if you can make the hair how i look like in the current photo  :P anyways :D here it is :D :

Offline DOT33102

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 03:07:22 am
Ok well tried to follow my idea and make it a full image with clothes.. and a skate board in hand i seem to be stuck at clothes as iam not good at shading them here is my attempt  :-[ its my first time to actualy draw a real person so ez on mah   :(

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:46:19 pm
So far looking good, both the self-portrait and the photo (cute!) BUT I think that you have given yourself too much of a rounded jawline (it looks more triangular in the photo) and your left eye (on the right in the self-portrait) doesn't have a good shape, try to follow the other eye. In your right eye (on the left in the self-portrait) I can tell the eyelid+eyelashes apart from the iris+pupil, in the other one they're all fused into a glob of black.

Offline DOT33102

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 09:51:26 pm
Lol <3 thanks ill try to follow your advise ill start working on it right now really appreciate the attention  ;D

Offline DOT33102

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 10:02:16 pm
deleted all the edits here's the final one so far any thoughts? :D also I' am not pretty good with either clothes shading nor hands rofl  :( any help is greatly appreciated :D

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:47:20 pm by DOT33102 »

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 02:47:50 am
Okay, here's the edit I told you I made yesterday :3

The big corner in your hair, somehow, I managed to NOT correct it even though it was that particular detail what prompted me to do the edit. At least it's marked with a red circle in the original (to the left) Most of the corrections are technical and hard to notice, but still:

-The way your hair falls on / interfaces with your forehead is too regular. There are several rows of different colors, but exactly the same size, if I'm not mistaken, that's banding.

- your face had an outline of a color that's too light, I can understand that it's an attempt at lighting, but unless you have a really strong light source, it shouldn't be like that (maybe someone more knowledgeable can explain you clearly *why*, I can only tell you *what*)

- Your forearm had some chunky shapes that I refined a bit, and also some banding.

-The wrinkles on your forehead are cool, but I added some intermediate colors at their ends and start to make them less abrupt. (antialias)

-I softened and refined the shape of the ¿sinew? in your neck. You know, that wire that connects muscles. Or maybe it's a muscle. I don't know, I'm no anatomist.

-Apparently I put a white pixel by mistake in one of your brows. My bad!  :-[

General advice:

1 - Use a indexed color format (256 colors tops) that'll give you better control over the palette you're using, and will teach you to think in discrete colors, which in turn will teach you to MAKE the colors you want (kinda like mixing colors with traditional paint, but totally different at the same time)

2 - I don't know what program you made this with, but it must be made in shotofop or something similar because it's in some color format other than indexed/256. I personally recommend GrafX2, it's free, it's widely used in the forum AFAIK, and now it even boasts animation support. It's quicker and less cumbersome that other graphic editors (of the "big", general purpose, virtual paints or photo editing kinds), weighs a lot less, and has a lot of functionalities *especially tailored* towards pixel art.

No, they don't pay me any amount of money, but FIRST I knew about GrafX2, some eight years ago (back in the day when it was MS-DOS only!) and THEN, after using it, learned what this "pixel art" weird artistic discipline was.

3 - You need to reduce color count: you use several different colors that read same-y to the naked eye.

4 - The t-shirt is a total chaos I daren't touch :D sorry.

Besides all that, you seem to have a fair grasp on representing the human form, AND realistic shapes, and you look pretty permeable to useful outside information, so just keep at it, try to understand the already discovered techniques and learn from other artists. If you are intent on improving, I'm sure we'll see more and better pieces from you and you will develop your own style (or even styles in plural!)

Getting any knowledge about art in general is also very helpful, even if sometimes more indirectly. I do find that hard to do myself, but I still know it's a good idea: Any knowledge you manage to gather on anatomy, composition, color theory, or whatever, WILL eventually pay out. You might come up with good stuff by yourself anyways, but *knowing more* always helps, never hinders.

Offline DOT33102

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 05:59:27 pm
Thanks Alot :D really appreciate all the help you have given me so far :D

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 06:26:27 pm
The wrinkles in the forehead and the dark beneath the eyes make you look old.
Also the color could be juiced up a bit, you look kinda ill :D