AuthorTopic: Pocket Fighter stlye  (Read 18397 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Pocket Fighter stlye

Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 04:44:27 am
is there an echo in here? =)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 04:54:10 am
is there an echo in here? =)
is that question aimed at me? looking at your posts, you mentioned contrast, but nothing of saturation.
 ???

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 05:46:51 am
For now I really don't think I need more saturation. If someone wants to make an edit to show me what you mean and I like what I see then fine, but I don't think saturation is really that important. I like my color choices and I'm really surprised to see Alex Hanson-White criticizing my saturation choices.
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1396.0
CLick there and see what I mean.

I don't mean to seem like an ass, but "more saturation, and more contrast" are the only issues I seem to get. I know I asked for C & C but I kinda meant on the figure, and anatomy, rather than my color choices. MAybe I should've specified. Once again just voicing my opinion and don't mean to sound like an ass.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #33 on: July 05, 2006, 05:56:24 am
well, I have to agree, the colours youve used are pretty out of style. alex's picture you linked to was his own style, he wasnt trying to match another style so you dont really have much of a point :-\
if you just compare the colours to the ken in your avatar, the red and skin tones are quite different. and I think the reason you couldnt get the mustache looking right is because you werent using black, and you werent using black because it looked too harsh against the other colours right?
also marios hat doesnt look much like his hat.. it looks more like a knockoff cap :P

I think your anatomy is alright, except for hat anatomy :P but your main issue is definetly the colours

best of luck, I look forward to seeing the finished result
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 06:04:20 am
Quite honestly I dont see a reason to complain if our crits are completly valid and relevant to the style you aim to duplicate.

get accostumed to pallete crits, it is an important part of what makes pixelart what it is, so people will have opinions on it.

if you arent exactly getting the amount or variety of crits you expected it might be because Pixelation is more focused on creating your own methods of expression rather than duplicating someone else's.

I belive there are better places much more specialized in duplicating someone else's style. http://z4.invisionfree.com/PrimeCentralStation/index.php?showtopic=824&st=75

I can understand you are trying to make Mario look like a fighting character but I think you are going a bit too far, this is almost looking like a ryu dresesd up as mario. I would sprite him in exactly the original proportions

But if you insist in making him seem like he was designed by capcom give him atleast his original nose and his potbelly.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 06:13:56 am by Conceit »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #35 on: July 05, 2006, 10:47:48 am
Tried fixing up your face to make it look more "Mario"

- Added hair and re-vamped the hat.
- Fixed the moustach and added a mario sized nose.
- Added a ear, and tried making the gloves more 'glovey'
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:42:15 am by Souly »

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #36 on: July 05, 2006, 10:56:43 am
Tried fixing up your face to make it look more "Mario"

It does: much better. But The gloves aren't... glovey enough, seeing as mario has rather large-ish gloves.

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 07, 2006, 01:31:55 am
My update. I now agree with what you all said with contrast and with the fact that my old Pf looked like "Ryu dressed in Mario's clothes". So here's my attempt to make him look more like that plumber we all know and love.   
---->  TRIED TO ADD COLOR CONTRAST -----> 

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: July 07, 2006, 08:43:53 pm
Added a Luigi to accompany the Bowser sprite just for kicks: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/SnakemanEXE/Luigisprite.png
Fun stuff.

Anywhoo, over to the critique:

There's a mixed feeling of shadows here. The muscles on his arms could be shown by a full shadow rather than a single line. The shadow on his eyes seem to merge with his hair, so there should be at least a separating line there. His pants need to have more contrast in the shadows. The saturated colours look nice, but his shoes look like they're glowing now and the light on the front of his cap does not match the part sticking out in front of his eyes.

Great sprite so far though. Looking forward to seeing it finished.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:30:55 pm by snake »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #39 on: July 07, 2006, 10:16:14 pm
My update. I now agree with what you all said with contrast and with the fact that my old Pf looked like "Ryu dressed in Mario's clothes". So here's my attempt to make him look more like that plumber we all know and love.   
---->  TRIED TO ADD COLOR CONTRAST -----> 

You added saturation, not contrast. I actually like the left one better, but to add contrast, make the shadows darker and the hilights lighter.