AuthorTopic: Pocket Fighter stlye  (Read 18404 times)

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Re: Pocket Fighter stlye

Reply #10 on: June 30, 2006, 12:16:27 am
Here's a total re-do of COBALT the Pocket fighter. Thanks for everyone's input and I hope that it shows in this new work. Major porps to St0ven!

Things I changed  or tried to improve

-redid base outline
-added headband
-different shading technique
-more detail
-tried to add depth
-changed the feet
-changed gi
-attempted to sel-out better
-Tried to utilize colors better
-14 color count
-lighter skin
-fixed teeth

<----OLD / NEW ------>

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 04:49:32 pm by Ro83rt »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 04:33:33 pm
I think this latest update you've taken it in the completely wrong direction in terms of the shading, now it looks flat and choppy, and you waste shades of blue that should be used to shade the entire skin instead of doing it mostly the lightest color.  The only problem that you had before was that you don’t know how to selout, but now it lacks depth too.

In this beautiful rendering by Michelangelo, which I've desecrated for you, you can see proper 'selout' technique applied to the contours of the figure

Typically, concave contours are darker, heavier, and convex contours are lighter and thinner, as indicated by my white and black marks.  Studying the masters is typically the best way to learn how to use techniques to your advantage (besides actual practice, of course)

A fine note on selout : dark pixels should almost never just be on the outside edge of a row, since this makes it look harsh and jagged instead of smooth.  This is where many of your smoothness issues originate.

http://www.bunnybass.com/e-zine/phototips/00.examplepics/drawings/drawingpics/after_michelangelo.jpg <----another good example of good outlineing practices, not by michelangelo but by someone trying to be him
« Last Edit: June 30, 2006, 04:45:03 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 09:05:59 pm
i always feel like such a cock after editing peoples work...anyways, sorry if you take offence of me editing your piece, i just thought it was real cute and i wanted to change the colors.

alexander

Offline Ro83rt

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 01, 2006, 02:02:07 am
* Goes to copy your idea *

No offence taken at all Alex. I'm actually flattered.  ;) Do you have any critiques though?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 04:49:15 pm by Ro83rt »

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 01, 2006, 02:37:42 am
well, its not so much of an idea, moreso a common thing amongst pixels, that being pallette swapping and whatnot, but umm i dont have much to say though, just go easy on the contrast and saturation. thats all.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 02:44:42 am by Alex »
alexander

Offline Sol

• Adsolutely
    • View Profile
    • BURN DIE GO!

Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 01:41:25 pm
Your characters too tall. PF sprites are stumpy, and have larger hands, and feet. Less body, and more head, feet, and hands.

EDIT: Heres what I mean.

Most of them while standing straight up are the height of your squating. Now though I can see its the head being too large, and his body being a tad wide that is doing it.

Also, his hands need work on each side. Thats not how a fist looks from that angle. Ball your fist up in the mirror, and you can see what I mean. I can show you what I mean if you'd like.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 01:51:40 pm by Sol »
単語何でも。それ?★★★★★★★★★★★[/color]
××××××
CLICK HERE

Offline Ro83rt

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 03:52:16 am
Sol : Thanks for your help. About the height however I don't reallly see what you mean.

VS. 

In both of these fighters they're both squating and yet they're about the same size give or take a few pixels due to his boppin' around. Maybe I could tone him down a little bit, but for now I don't really think his proportions are that far off.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 04:48:59 pm by Ro83rt »

Offline Sol

• Adsolutely
    • View Profile
    • BURN DIE GO!

Reply #17 on: July 03, 2006, 10:44:20 am
I think the problem I see is his leg/midsection placement. Your PF sprites legs are longer than Ken PF, while his midsection is longer. So it gives the allusion that one is taller than the other.
単語何でも。それ?★★★★★★★★★★★[/color]
××××××
CLICK HERE

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 11:01:31 am
I don't think its a problem.  IRL people are different sizes, why should all the characters be the same height.  Variance keeps things interesting.  Great job so far :D

Offline Ro83rt

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 06:06:20 pm
Well, since I feel confident in my sprite I tried to animate it.

I think it goes without saying that I need some serious help. Animation and me just don't mix.

I got to work on a new fighter. right now he's just a rough line sketch but you should still be able to make out who he is.

First place goes to the one who figures out who he is first.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 04:48:27 pm by Ro83rt »