AuthorTopic: Pocket Fighter stlye  (Read 18391 times)

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Pocket Fighter stlye

on: June 28, 2006, 02:36:28 am
A while back I tried to use pocket fighter style with my SNK fighter for Scuba's King of Spriter's 2006.
Here he is:

I liked pixeling him so I decided to give him a makeover:
   <--- Old / New ----> 

Any C&C to help me improve?

*Edited*

@Ptoing - I think I fixed a bit. Maybe you would like to give me some more advice on how to reduce my selout?

NEWEST EDIT AT TOWARDS THE BOTTOM
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 02:04:19 am by Ro83rt »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Pocket Fighter stlye

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:04:58 am
lose the selout, that will make it 200% better instantly.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 04:45:28 am
 I disagree with that. Losing the selout will make the sprite look less pocket fighter. Sel-out is important for capcom and pocket fighter style sprites. I really like the character sprite he made. He could be good for KOS.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 07:22:11 am
Eh. I'm not too good with words, but I made an edit.

I don't think it's the selout itself that hurt the sprite; but you didn't seem to do it right. that and I noticed you used alot of colors, and in some points, only used them in one or so areas; I tried to take some of those and use them in others to get more worth for them. I also completely re-did the feet; pocket fighter feet are basically blocks with toes. I'm not the greatest with this style, or really the most knowledgeable, and this edit was mostly touchups of your selout and other various edits to help give you some direction.

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 07:27:57 am
The original seems a bit more true to the Capcom / Pocket Fighter style than your edit, Setz.

Ro83rt, maybe you could try giving the orange a bit more saturation.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:14:03 am
I know capcom stuff has selout, but it's nowhere near as harsh as this, they use it sensibly. Go look at some pocket fighter sprites.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:51:58 pm
The original seems a bit more true to the Capcom / Pocket Fighter style than your edit, Setz.

yeah. I suppose I went a little overthetop. It was mainly the feet that bothered me.

Offline Ro83rt

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 10:59:05 pm
Thanks for all of the help.  ;D It seems that Pocket fighters are the only thng I can consistantly do well. That's nice to know. Can anyone give me a few tips on how to animate this badboy? 

As you can see from my previous attempt from a while back, I'm not that good.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:02:07 pm by Ro83rt »

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 04:02:45 am
hhmmm. ive been looking at this thread several times now and hoping each time to find some time to critique, but i havent had the time to put into it, but now i think i do, plus i see its motion and i figured that youre now going to need some better critique to improve to the *dun dun dun* "next level!"...

looking at the static sprite first, the design is fundamentally alright, i kindof like the idea that hes sort of alienesque. Im comparing the first version you did vs the makeover, i have to say i like the proportion of the very first rendition better. i think the torso looks a little thick and perhaps the limbs slightly too long or wide to correlate with the sizes of  the pocket fighter style. I think the pants on the newest rendition is probably the strongest part about it, it has a very clean feel at 1x zoom, though even still it has some 'loose pixels' that could use some smoothing out.

His feet... well, its hard to describe it, but as they stand now they kindof look like they just got ran over by a humvee man. take a look at the formity of the feet of the pocket fighter avatar of yours (even though i think their feet are longer and loook very slightly ran over as well to some degree, perhaps too 'long'). Even though your old version had no toes i liked the overall foot shape a lot better. The anatomy of the arms looks a bit generic at this point, id like to see a little definition in the knuckles or the shoulder bulge in the arm (which as it stands now looks like the shoulders come all the way down to where the mid to lower bicep should be ending).

i think the main thing id say could be improved is the level/depth of shading involved with the sprite. I would expect this version to be the beginning of the 'laying down basic light sources' step in the process of making an image (assuming it were done step by step in such a manner). Other than that, no real detail has been established, and i realize that this is somewhat remniscient of how pocket fighter sprites come across, but even then their art has a strong sense of line variation, stye, and ample contrast throughout the image. I think by comparison, this blue dude looks a bit 'light', there are a good number of midtones, but no real highlights or shadow values which would otherwise give him a nice sense of form and depth.

and actually, since the animation doesnt really have much to do with the new rendition of the sprite i think ill hold off on commenting on that for now.

my best advice would

Offline Ro83rt

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 04:58:58 am
Wow....did St0ven just reply to one of my threads?  :o

You're the reason I even decided to try Pocket Fighters. I visit your website all of the time and I try to study your tutorials and techniques all of the time. I guess I'm not that good at applying the techniques but I'm trying. Anyway, thanks St0ven and everyone else for pitching in and helping me on this little project of mine. I really appriciate it, espeially with me bieng such a newb and all. I will defiently take all of your ideas into heavy consideration St0ven. For now I'm gonna hit the hay though. Keep it up St0ven!

P.S. St0ven, I don't really think you finished your reply. It kinda just cuts off at "MY best aadvice"...
And please finish your "Undead" layout!!! I really want to see the finished product.