AuthorTopic: Chainsaw vs Wildlife  (Read 3863 times)

Offline MrCartoon

• Free bacon?
    • View Profile

Chainsaw vs Wildlife

on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:23 pm

Hi,
I've just started getting into pixel art and ultimately would love to create a side scrolling game like the ios title Tiny ARPG, with the user controlling a character wielding a chainsaw attacking local wildlife - deer, rabbits, wolves, etc - and I'd love any feedback I can get from my simple start to things to have everything that much better.   ::)

Offline DOT33102

• Dots are pixels , pixels are art :D voila !
    • View Profile

Re: Chainsaw vs Wildlife

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:34:41 pm
Heya man good job  ;D iam kind of new here too but not to pixel art :D ok well this is gonna take a little bit more work but it will get a very nice result ok first off i LOVE outlines so you should really outline your work depending on the color your gonna outline so each part in that drawing should have a different outline and then when your done with that you should like put more contrast to your work and more details maybe to the shirt etc.. :D hope I'v helped i could try editting your image if you want me to show you what i mean

(please use the edit button - Facet)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:41:34 pm by Facet »

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:04:02 am
Er, outlines aren't absolutely necessary... 8l It depends greatly on what you are making.

The deer could use a bigger body proportionally - deer legs are actually really thin and spindly. Additionally, showing the two legs on the back will help make it look three-dimensional.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline DOT33102

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 04:36:34 pm
Er, outlines aren't absolutely necessary... 8l It depends greatly on what you are making.

Well he does need something to separate the beard from the hair he kind of looks like a monkey with a chainsaw befoure adding the contrast and the outline

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 04:39:52 pm
You might need to edit your response there buddy.

The problem with the beard is more that it doesn't have enough contrast + it doesn't grow into the face like a real beard does. Hm, not sure how else to help with that though...
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline MrCartoon

• Free bacon?
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 09:54:54 pm
Thank you for the help.

The sprites definitely required more contrast. Although as Ymedron mentioned, I am not totally sure outlines are required, but I'll toy with it more this weekend. The deer I've included additional, thinner legs and changed some things around. Included is also a first attempt of a run cycle that needs a lot of clean up (especially since it looks like hes running backwards ???)

Offline DOT33102

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 10:03:46 pm
yah hed :D well all you need to do is get the torso a little bit more forward , I know what your trying to attempt a cartoonish run :D pretty nice Id say , but ya that will look as if hes running backwards , usually this animation is done Irl if your falling so your trying to gain more balance just put that torso abit more forward