AuthorTopic: [WIP] HUD Elements.  (Read 8985 times)

Offline Fixer

• View Profile

[WIP] HUD Elements.

on: January 28, 2013, 11:15:38 pm
These are sprites for a top down island survival game. The theme is based of of stories like Robinson Crusoe, and the movie Cast away. Other inspirations include the games: Lost in Blue, Stranded, and Survival Kids.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:48:04 pm by Fixer »

Offline Solluxx

• 1 pixel out of place :D
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] HUD Elements.

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:17:14 am
First of all nice job! I do have some critiques I noticed right away though. The heart is a little lumpy. Google some 3D heart references and you'll see that they form more of a cone shape than you have. Have the shading be more gradual. Opposite with the raindrop, the small highlight on the bottom of the drop should be instant not faded into. I honestly think I like the "attempts" the best, they lack detail but make up for it in style. This is all my humble opinion, I'm sure some other pixeling guru will be able to help you further.
In my opinion ;D

Offline Fixer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:37:30 pm
Thanks I've made some modifications based on your suggestions.

Edit:

I've taken some time to actually understand how a water drop should look. I simply took some water and poured it into a tin. I took several pictures with different light sources and discovered some problems with my attempts. I've explained them here:

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/PASSOUT2008/IMG_0010-Copy_zpsd14c2b24.jpg

I do feel this rendition is far more accurate than any other.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:57:19 am by Fixer »

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 07:26:26 am
Everything looks interesting, but it's all very sharp and "edgy" if you will haha. Since there are for HUDs and I would assume they're replacing status bars for health, thirst and hunger? From experience, sometimes having a bar/meter/etc is a lot easier to read than a sphere or object. For my game I'm going to allow the character to show their hunger, rather than have a meter/bar/object. Same with thirst. They will use a phase each 25% of the max hunger/thirst then eventually a small icon (32x32) would appear above their had letting the player know they are hungry or thirsty.

As for the third sprite, I don't really know what it's suppose to mean, but it looks really cool c:

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 10:37:15 am
That's... a piece of meat, right?  :D

Offline Fixer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 05:40:39 pm
That's... a piece of meat, right?  :D

Yes, t-bone steak.

Everything looks interesting, but it's all very sharp and "edgy" if you will haha. Since there are for HUDs and I would assume they're replacing status bars for health, thirst and hunger? From experience, sometimes having a bar/meter/etc is a lot easier to read than a sphere or object. For my game I'm going to allow the character to show their hunger, rather than have a meter/bar/object. Same with thirst. They will use a phase each 25% of the max hunger/thirst then eventually a small icon (32x32) would appear above their had letting the player know they are hungry or thirsty.

As for the third sprite, I don't really know what it's suppose to mean, but it looks really cool c:

Ah okay this is interesting to add maybe little symbols next to the player if it needs food or water like a Sims game. I will have to add some symbols when I start working on the player sprite.

I began working on some tiles for a sandy beach.

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 09:28:54 pm
Sand is nice and could be desaturated a bit, and the water looks purple???

Offline Fixer

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 04:20:03 pm

Done and done.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 10:58:28 pm
I like to mix in a some wet dark sand yellow into the shallow beach water tones. It suggests transparency (land mass disappearing into the water). Super cyan looks more like neon liquid.

Offline Fixer

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 12:53:54 pm
Another update.