AuthorTopic: Idea: Paid 1 on 1 [Skype?] Pixel Art Tutoring/Lessons?  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Sunjammer

• View Profile

Idea: Paid 1 on 1 [Skype?] Pixel Art Tutoring/Lessons?

on: November 10, 2014, 01:30:43 am
Note: I'm not really making a job offer here, just putting the idea out there to see if there's interest.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever proposed the idea of doing hands-on screen sharing pixel art instruction or critique. Like you'd pay one of the great artists around here a fixed rate for an hour of tutoring on Skype or Google Hangouts where you can ask them questions and they can do edits and show you stuff, whatever.

I know there's a fantastic altruistic desire to pass on the craft to newcomers and the Pixel Art forum has helped a lot of artists develop through feedback and edits. I love that spirit of passing on knowledge for the love of the art, but at the same time that knowledge is valuable and the 'masters' have limited time, so they deserve to be rewarded for their efforts.

I'm interested in developing my skill as effectively as possible so some real guidance would be amazing and I'd be willing to pay for it. There's no pixel art colleges so...

If you're interested in this concept, either as an instructor or as a student, post your thoughts!

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Re: Idea: Paid 1 on 1 [Skype?] Pixel Art Tutoring/Lessons?

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 11:19:39 am
I've gotten similar help from a digital artist a couple years ago, she only charged $20 an hour which was amazingly cheap and we talked once a week. It was an incredibly helpful process for me, so yeah I recommend.

Such things could be done through a mentoring website like skillshare but I think generally the best approach without anything formal being in place is just to email the artist one on one and negotiate something.

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Idea: Paid 1 on 1 [Skype?] Pixel Art Tutoring/Lessons?

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:50 pm
Hmm.

Paid critique could work well, if coupled with edits and a satisfactory wealth of paragraphs, littered with examples. If you are the teacher, you could include screen recorded videos explaining the process. This and post-critique edits and guidance could fashion a nice, compact sized package.

I don't think one hour screen share sessions could aid most people, seeing as pixel art is somewhat time consuming for the inexperienced, and especially if the teacher is aiding the student as he draws. Perhaps it could work if both are physically present, but that will not usually be the case.

But I could easily do it if I wanted.