AuthorTopic: Scavengers in Sillhoutte - WIP  (Read 7542 times)

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Scavengers in Sillhoutte - WIP

on: January 26, 2013, 10:19:08 pm
I'd like to add more interesting detail to this without moving away from the silhouette style, but I'm not completely sure how to while still keeping the scene empty and derelict seeming.
In addition, I think the silhouette style looks nice but feels lazy to me, and I'm having trouble introducing more complicated techniques without throwing it off.

If its not entirely clear, it's meant to be two scavengers in a Mexican standoff over a bag.

General C&C welcome, be as brutal as necessary.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:35:30 pm by Fizzick »

Offline Applzor

• View Profile

Re: Scavengers in Sillhoutte - WIP

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 12:56:23 am
I think some scenery in the background is what would make this piece really come alive. limbo for references has the nice silhouetted backdrops https://www.vegard.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Limbo-2011-08-13-00-03-48-25.jpg

this looks like a mountainous area barren place, so have the backdrop resemble that

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:59:01 am

More things to come to fill that gap in the middle, perhaps with a more varied and less green palette. More C&C?

EDIT:
Some palette variants.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:08:14 am by Fizzick »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 03:50:49 am
I like the bottom left one, but that's mainly because there is some variation in hue

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 04:10:40 am
I really like the light from the car, it adds a lot. You have some banding at the top of the piece of wood on the right it looks like.

Offline Applzor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:04:44 am
agreed, the shift in hue and saturation draws the attention to the front because it is the richest in colour.

the details on the buildings make a huge difference. what I thought was a shaft of light is now two buildings.

great touch with the lights, it wouldn't be a perfect white when it hits the people, nor would it be a perfect white coming out, trying shifting it towards a cool or warm colour (depending on the age of the car)
*I had a go tweaking the lights around and I couldn't find any colours that worked well, still a thought though*

added in a few things, window details, gaps between buildings, tubing to the neon lights (maybe have one of the glow?)

Offline JoaoSeabra

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 01:57:21 pm
the lights look great!i think all you need to do now is add some more...maybe light up one or part of one sign?make it look like it's half broke or something...

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 02:22:46 pm
Hm, I like the bottom right because it's very "nightlike". Maybe even clichely so, but the low visibility of nighttime could work well for your featureless environment.

The objects on the right could use more lighting from the car light, right now it doesn't seem to hit them at all really. :o!
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 03:49:52 pm
I think playing up the light source could really help improve the drama in the scene. It really draws the eyes' attention.

edit of Applzors edit:

Sorry for the sloppy application of the idea. Maybe this kills the mood of the scene entirely? :-[
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Fizzick

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 03:41:14 am
Thanks so much for the feedback, I wasn't expecting so many helpful ideas!
I tried implementing the headlight shading you detailed, not sure how it looks:

Also, is there a way to get rid of some aliasing on this window:

Without adding yet another shade of dark purple or using obvious dither AA?

Once again, thanks for all the constructive criticism. :y: