AuthorTopic: Wings of Saint Nazaire (Large Images!)  (Read 55190 times)

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Re: Wings of Saint Nazaire (Large Images!)

Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 07:52:35 am
Alright - Build updated. You can now blow up and shoot some random evil black spheres.
Q switches fire modes.
http://www.hedfiles.net/WOSN_Alpha/WOSN_Alpha.html

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 12:59:17 pm
Okay, update - fixed some stuff, added some reticule functionality, and better explosions and lighting...
I also sharpened up the background, as well!

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 08:03:19 am
Updated the build - added sound effects, and new music!
Music by:
https://soundcloud.com/jestmusic/starscape
Enjoy!

Offline Steneslore

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 08:53:33 am
Wow these are fantastic, I especially like the insectile appearance of the alien ships.

Offline Jigxor

• View Profile
    • Jigxor.com

Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 05:13:38 am
Wow. This is absolutely insane. I was a big fan of those lower resolution sprites you did, but playing this alpha is mindblowing! It's so beautiful! I can't wait to see this project progress more. Do you have a devblog/etc. for the game itself?

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 02:28:39 pm
very good experience and nice fx and explosions :D

Offline Theoden

• View Profile
    • My Gallery

Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 11:15:05 am
This is the most amazing thing I have seen in months.
Unbelievable stuff. Feels just like the good old games from 90s.
The only thing I wasn't blown away was the in game music. I think it was too calm and weak compared to the epicness of what was going on on the screen. But don't get me wrong it's still good.
If you want I can offer you my help about the soundtrack. I can work voluntary for this awesome project.
Here are some works I have done for a yet to be realeased android game called "Alien Defense": https://soundcloud.com/cuneyt_yetisenler

I wish you the best of luck with your project.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 12:09:32 pm
Howard, how has the response been to the pre-rendered nature of the spaceships a la Wing Commander instead of full 3d like X-wing? Do people seem to understand what you're referencing and are excited for it? I never liked how ships snapped into their prerendered viewpoints in WC and considered XWing/Tie Fighter to be a huge step up and I thought there wouldn't be nostalgia for the middle step of evolution in there, but I'll be glad to hear I'm wrong.

Your work is tremendous otherwise, and I do enjoy watching the spaceship explosions and debris! I just still think full 3d would look better and you even have the assets to do this!

Offline Howard Day

• Hey, I'm a doofus.
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 08:55:18 am
Steneslore: Thanks! I'm glad you like the aliens. The basic though process behind them was... what if the alien queen head from aliens was a space ship? :D
Jigxor: Thanks, sir! So the devblog is www.wingsofstnazaire.com! We're going to try and update more frequently.
kriss: Glad you like them! They've been improved significantly in the latest build, I think!
Theoden: Wow, We're really glad you like it! On the music side, Daniel is working to create a layered music system, where we can keep track of the epicness and match the music to scale. We want to have those quiet, simple moments as well, and a dynamic music system seems well suited to our needs! If you like, I can put you in contact with Dan, and you could collaborate on the music?
Helm: Well, the general response has been extremely positive. I think it sticks out in peoples minds as being significantly different in style than just about every other game out there. That's pretty positive, from our perspective. The fact that the art surrounding that bit of ancient tech is amped up to 11 doesn't seem to hurt, either.
I'm glad you like the models - and you're right, we could totally put them in game as full 3d models. It wouldn't even be particularly difficult. As a nostalgia fiend, though... I'm gonna resist that urge.

So, there's been a bunch of updates - Jan and I have been hard at work making functional systems. the radar and targeting are now mostly functional - the targeting still needs to have some work done, and the radar doesn't quite flash as we want, but other than that, the game is looking great! There are a  couple of new additions to the gameplay. Hit "space" to spawn a random enemy fighter infront of your fighter. these fighters have a rough AI, that will try, generally, to find you.
you can select the closest ship by hitting "r" the radar moves too quickly through the details of your target, but you can see at least that part working. :D
There are new explosions, new flareFX, and new shieldFX. Also added are player-ship collisions. These are still being tweaked.
Enjoy!

Offline Theoden

• View Profile
    • My Gallery

Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 10:36:39 pm
Theoden: Wow, We're really glad you like it! On the music side, Daniel is working to create a layered music system, where we can keep track of the epicness and match the music to scale. We want to have those quiet, simple moments as well, and a dynamic music system seems well suited to our needs! If you like, I can put you in contact with Dan, and you could collaborate on the music?

Sure, that would be great. I can create some sample tracks and send them to Dan and see what he thinks.
Can you PM his contact info? Thanks!