AuthorTopic: Working on some sprites for a game and would like some feedback [WIP]  (Read 2496 times)

Offline Spoida

• View Profile
So here is the front and back of a monster i'm working on

And here is an attempt at a main character

I am new to making sprites and theses are my first real attempts. Any feedback or advice would be really helpful, thanks!

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels
The monster is pretty scary and goofy at the same time  :P

He has a goofy face, which is OK if the game is humorous (with that butt, I bet it is :lol:), but they kind of detract from the scare factor (but then again, maybe not!)

There are some lines on the head and the shoulders that are too jaggy, you should take care that they are only 1px in width.

I just noticed its nipples. They come off sort of unnoticed, because they follow the same line as the pecs. That's OK if you don't want them to stand out, but if else, you should place them higher.

The lines leading up to the navel (and the ones on the back) should be a lighter color, and the navel should maybe be bigger (you can do a horizontal line for the navel as well)

Finally, the legs are... innovative :lol:. They don't really look OK for this guy, I think. I find it hard to "suspend my disbelief" (can you even walk with those things?). My problem is not with their size, but with their shape. That's a concept issue, though.

When the monster faces up, the palms of his hands should be shaded, shouldn't they?

As for Lemming-face :P:

Those highlights look off, and also unnecessary-- I would just scrap them. Maybe I'd leave the ones on the shoulders, but that's it (clothes don't really gloss like that).

In his walking animation, you got the "right hand left leg" thing right, but the arms don't look like they're coming towards the viewer.
When the arm comes up close, it doesn't really inflect towards the body.
The arm that comes close should be bigger, and keep pointing outwards.
The arm that moves backwards should look smaller, and maybe be darker; a trick to make it look less like the other one.

Offline Spoida

• View Profile
Thank you so much for the feedback!  ;D

This information is very helpful, I will be making some changes based on what you have said. Thanks again!