AuthorTopic: Animation challenge  (Read 22935 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Animation challenge

on: June 27, 2006, 08:05:42 pm
Here's my attempt at setting up a somewhat regular animation challenge.  If this takes off, I'll continue to set up challenges... unless anyone else wants to step in and help set them up.  If you have any suggestions about this challenge or for future ones, let me know.

I'm planning on keeping many challenges just asking for animated silhouettes.  There's two reasons for this: to encourage people who otherwise would think that they didn't have enough time or the ability to fully render an animation to participate, and to focus the attention of the animators towards showing character through the animation instead of the character design.  Full renders are always encouraged, of course, just please post the silhouette as well.

Okay, for this challenge, it'll simply be a walk cycle.  48 x 48 pixels maximum, 8 frames maximum.  Here's the rub:  it has to be the walk cycle of a duplicitous, untrustworthy character.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Animation challenge

Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 08:10:42 pm
Nice, another challenge!

*looks up duplicitous*

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 08:45:48 pm
I like =D I have never made an acceptable animation. Hopefully I have time to join this one =)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 09:13:53 pm
This is great! I've been looking for a reason to do more animation, and this looks like it may be it. I'll get to it once I'm not at work, and have an animation program on hand. If there's one thing we don't have enough of 'round here, it's challenges like this.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 10:12:38 pm
Haha, yes! Tomorow morning i'm sure i'll give it a go... not likely i'll post it up then though  :P

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 10:15:33 pm
nice challenge..

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #6 on: June 27, 2006, 10:44:18 pm
Excellent challenge! This is a bit of a quicky, I'll see if I can do a better one later.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 05:06:38 am

- Adam

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 05:27:15 am
AdamTierney, that is the most spasmed walk I have ever seen.  But I love it so much. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 08:42:50 pm

- Adam
YES YES YES!!!

pure brilliance, i love it.
alexander

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 11:24:24 pm
When I saw this challenge it instantly reminded me of this little animation I did a while back.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 11:42:25 pm
more sneaky lookin one:

Offline SolidIdea

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 12:41:13 am

Pleeaaaaaase help me improve it! I was trying to do an almost slimey walk, but i terribly suck at animating =(

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #13 on: June 29, 2006, 03:50:48 am
Not so bad for a first walkcycle.  (No wait, yes it is)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 04:40:09 am
pretty good for me seeing as how i only have game maker, and animation is my weakest skill(if you can call it that)
if somebody could make it loop for me that would be dandy.

this is how i walk trying to sneak to the kitchen at 3 am :)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 05:22:56 am
Pleeaaaaaase help me improve it!
for starters, try checking the arm to leg movement. As an arm on one side of the body goes forwards, the leg on the same side should go backwards.
at the moment, you have the arm and leg go in the same direction at the same time.

Faktablad, I like the head bounce, it makes the animation seem lively. The legs look like they aren't supporting him, like they are too far forwards from under his body.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 06:43:04 am
From what I've learned:

1) Give them weight. This is done by having a rise and fall of the torso/head, and by having reason for it (fall when the leg is dropping, rise when the leg straightens under them).
2) Quick on the pass, slow on the linger. Use very few frames for fast movement, like a leg going forward, and more frames for a slower one, like a leg tilting as it lands or is about to be picked up.
3) Even scroll rate. Most of us don't walk in spurts, so feet should (when on the ground) travel at a relatively stable rate.
4) Tails and extremeties drag. Movement can always be broken down into the primary limb (leg, thigh, arm) and the extremities (lower leg, hands, feet, hair). These extremities always lag slightly in their movement. So if a man with long hair is moving left, then siddenly turns right his hair will turn right the *following* frame. If a man is waving his arms limply, the hands will turn 1 frame after the arms have.
5) Force via pointing. The positioning of details can have a great impact on your movement. For example, if your hand is limp and dragged slightly as an arm moves, the force is in the arm. If the fist is hard and pointing in the same direction of the movement, it's a fist leading a punch.
6) Roll up and down. Unless you're doing odd footwork (like tippy toes or something goofy) the foot should land on the ball of its heel and before it is pulled back up, it should roll onto its toes.
7) Center your weight. If the legs shift foreward, the body has to compensate by shifting backwards. Vice versa.
8 ) Whenever possible, don't reverse frames. Hands, feet, legs and arms don't move the same way outward as they do back inward. Unless you're working on something really simple, like a 3-frame reversed walk, the hands and details should reinforce the direction of movement by their slight lag. Without this, the animation will feel false.
9) Equal frame counts. You must have equal frame counts per step, with very similar positions per frame. Deviation from this will imply a limp. Because of this it's most natural of course to have walk cycles with even numbers of frames.
10) 1 or more frames with no feet on the ground makes a run or a skip. No frames entirely in the air make a walk.
11) Don't line up those limbs. Perspective is generally forced on a walk cycle so that the arms and legs hit different points when moving forward and backward. If you have your arms hit the exact same spot when they go back or forward, it'll look like 1 action happening twice.
12) If it's a sidescroller game, the feet can be lined up vertically. Any perspective and the back foot should be slightly higher up.
13) It's ok to shrink. Even though the actual perspective would keep the limbs closest to the camera and furthest the same size, shaving a few pixels off the back limbs can do wonders to differentiate the two.
14) Don't strobe. Whenevr possible, try to overlap pieces during small movement. If there's no overlap in an animation, it will look like a strobe light and won't read properly.
15) If you 3/4 the character (ie, you can see more than half his belly and his face) then you should shift the near limbs back to adjust for this. The close limbs will swing more left than the back ones, but the back ones will swing further right. However if you have a near-perfect sideview, the near limbs should swing further in both directions.
16) The leg straightens during the course of, and toward the end of the swing forward. Don't make it entirely straight too early, but also don't wait too late (such as when the leg's all the way forward).
17) Express impact where there should be some. Little things like a foot slightly wider on the impact frame, or a little bend to the knee when the foot touches down really sell the gravity of the foot hitting floor and supporting the shifting body weight.

That's about all I can think of now, although I'm sure there's more.

- Adam
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 06:52:34 am by AdamTierney »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 04:16:16 pm
Nice, Adam, very interesting and inspiring stuff there.

Here's my duplicitous... thingy.

Ryumaru, i only see one frame.
Faktablad and Alex Hanson, i think you should clean those up, refine them, that would be cooler.
Props to Pawige and Adam's version's, very nice (although i don't get quite a feeling of duplicitousness from Adam's, but it sure is awesome).
Ro83rt, that's interesting, but it has nothing to do with the theme :).
Solididea, the basic idea is good, i think it just needs some inbetween frames to make it smoother, and you're set!
Oh, and props to Darien for the idea. Let's see your stuff now :)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 04:54:26 pm
Faktablad and Alex Hanson, i think you should clean those up, refine them, that would be cooler.
thing is.. what do you mean by clean and refine. if it is to make them look like some character, that is not the point of the challenge. The challange is to create an animation which expresses something without haveing a character there to influence the expression.
So that is what I did. I created an animation of a walking cycle with no character features which would influence the feel of the walk. It shouldn't matter how clean it is because it is the motions we should be looking at, not the character.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 05:32:26 pm
Well, that's one possible interpretation. However, i don't associate "silhouette" with "stickman". What I meant was exactly what you understood.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 05:36:11 pm
my animation only goes once, i dont have the proper tools to loop it.

Offline Turbo

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 05:50:13 pm
my animation only goes once, i dont have the proper tools to loop it.

Opening it in me Graphics Gale sez "Empy Color Table" and closes down, so i can't do nothin bout it over here.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 06:15:33 pm

there you go ryumaru. i don't know what program you use, but i'd recommend to switch to another if you can't loop animations with it. the animation itself is a bit, you know, peculiar :). i think it would be best if you just redid the whole thing from scratch. look at a reference, like yourself, then make some key frames (with the peaks of the motion of the cycle, more or less), then the tweens. and i'd watch out that the guy doesn't go off-balance

@ turbo and alex: i'm with alex on this one. short and sweet :)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 06:32:36 pm
heh, thats basically the 2nd animation ive done in my entire life. pixel wise.
i did use myself as a reference but i was more or less just playing around.
thanks for the crits, my lack of animation skill is so embarrasing! :-[

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 08:58:31 pm

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 11:00:25 pm

:-\

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 30, 2006, 05:30:55 am

Still needs a lot of work I think  :-\

As for the stickman vs. silhouette... I say silhouette instead of stickman because stickmen don't have things like feet and hands, and they are possible devices for showing character in an animation and should not be ignored... that being said, stickmen do provide the most important parts of motion for an animation such as this, so they are pretty ideal for this.  I would rather see stickmen than silhouettes where the artist looks at the animation, says "hmm, needs to be sneakier" and gives the guy a long pointy nose and a wiry beard, because that defeats the purpose of what I intended to do with this challenge, which was concentrate attention on the animation rather than character.  So when I said sihoulette, I meant a generic silhouette, as if you needed a sort of template for any sneaky characters (don't let that stop you from taking that "template" and showing us a fully rendered character you made with it, though!)  Sorry if I was unclear.

Great entries everyone.  I'm really glad people to see people so many people trying it, especially those new to animating.  I'd give critique but I can't really say anything better than what Adam did, and I'm not that great myself. Maybe I'll through everyones later, though...

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #27 on: June 30, 2006, 06:17:52 am
So my character carrying the sack would be a bad example, since the bag gives it the characterization of sneakiness, rather than the actual motion. :-[

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 02, 2006, 11:01:58 am

I dont have an animator.  So I have no idea how this will turn out.  If someone could animate this for me that would be great.

PS.  My animations are lacking at best. 

You should cut out the last frame.
EDIT:

Thanks lick.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 12:51:58 am by Sohashu »
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #29 on: July 02, 2006, 11:59:39 am
Sohashu: here it is, animated.

my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #30 on: July 02, 2006, 01:44:08 pm
Heh, was doing exactly a 48X48 walk/run-cycle when I found this. Not posting it here as it's got nothing to do with this.

Thought I'd tag along for the heck of it. I've been doing standard walkcycles now in 3d for 4 weeks, so I'll do something more dynamic.

Struttin' on the way to tha disco. DUN dun dun DUN dun dun....

Whipped out in five minutes, busy with other things right now. It is actually 14 frames but the only difference are the tilt direction on the head at the start. Could have just left it out, but it adds a little extra to it. *shrug*

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: July 03, 2006, 12:49:16 am
Thats better than I thought it would look.  Im actually quite happy with it. 

@snake I like the shoulder roll :D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 07:55:44 am by Sohashu »

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: July 03, 2006, 09:25:06 am
When is the next challenge?

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 03, 2006, 10:59:53 pm
I'll try to set on up by tomorrow, I guess.  There's still some people I was hoping to see from, like Trem.  And Camus, I'd think this would be right up his alley...

Remember, if you have any suggestions for the next challenge, just send me a PM or something... I'm still undecided on what to do.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #34 on: July 03, 2006, 11:46:09 pm

come on Darien.....dont you know me? I'm always the one to make the last minute entry or none at all........even in the WayFw contests when a job  depended on it.

I just have to see the whole spectrum of the entries to see how I will stand amongst them before I post the entry

I dont get why you all asociate duplicitous with sneaky, I've always suspected about the showoffs, hence the laid back exagerated walk :p

You know, like he's trying TOO hard to look a certain way while he walks, WHAT ARE YOU HIDING SHOWOFF?

funny how I had almost the same idea as snake, I wonder what his would've looked like with more time......and Adam just went bonkers on this one, duplicitous is supposed to, you know, make you doubt, have two ways of posibly seeing it...but I think no one in their right mind would get within 10 meters of the psycho Adam dreamed up :p
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 12:05:13 am by Conceit »

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 12:39:31 am
I like the idea of silhouettes because we can whip through them very fast. It also tests animation skill more than pixelling ability (coloring, rendering, etc). How about a morph between two objects, and you name the two objects for us? Or it could be vague like a morph from something sweet to something nasty.

- Adam

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 12:46:39 am
conceit, its suppose to be 8 frames MAX, not 11.
regardless, it looks nice and jiggly. very organic.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 12:50:01 am
oops...didnt read that part...got carried away, as usual  ::)

something can be arranged, though.

I disagree with adam...I think the best part of this challenge was the idea of potrayting an emotion, or a concept trough animation.

I'd suggest something like.....make a XXX pixels big and XXX frames long animation about say........buoyancy

EDIT: KON, you do know this is camus, right? ;) thanks for the compliment....I'm a little disappointed because I wanted this to look a bit more agressive though
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 10:54:12 am by Conceit »

Offline Lick

• View Profile
    • yup

Reply #38 on: July 04, 2006, 09:32:51 am
The thing about the silhouette is it's accessible for people who normally don't give a try at animation because they are scared of the many frames they have to clean up and pixel (but I figured that that's not necessary since the animation will forgive small pixelling mistakes). Only the shapes, movement and character of the animation count. And that's interesting.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: July 04, 2006, 07:06:44 pm

It's too defined and only four frames but I decided to post it anyways, mainly because it's the first time I do a silhouette animation. (sadly) Took me around 30 minutes and it needs some cleaning up.

sonic_reaper

Reply #40 on: July 04, 2006, 11:06:17 pm
I went crazy with this challenge.

Animation Shop decided to be homosexual today and won't allow proper transparencies.  Meh.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: July 05, 2006, 01:59:17 am
I went crazy with this challenge.

I love it.  I am so gonna save that and use it as my desktop BG. 

sonic_reaper

Reply #42 on: July 05, 2006, 02:35:40 am
OMG I just realized that my animation makes no sense.  His head goes THROUGH his leg :lol:

So adjusted it and highlighted the leg in the foreground to give it some coherence.

Okay now his arm goes through his leg :lol:  Oh well whatever.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #43 on: July 12, 2006, 06:10:04 pm
Well, this excellent challenge seems to be dying/dead. If you're not planning on continuing this, Darien, I'd love to take it over. ;D

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #44 on: July 12, 2006, 06:46:59 pm
yeah, whats the next theme going to be?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #45 on: July 12, 2006, 06:48:23 pm
how about we take turns like that? it would be great to pass on the torch, plus it would always have some pep in it because everyone would be waiting for their turn to finally show how awesome a challnege they can make.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: July 13, 2006, 01:56:57 am
Sure.  That would be cool.  Lets do that. 

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #47 on: July 13, 2006, 04:27:15 am
I'd guess the best way to keep it alive would be to have it run on a defined schedule, like an new challenge every Sunday and Wednesday or something like that. We could have a sign-up sheet and just let whoever's up next to make the update, or have everyone PM their ideas to one person in charge who'd then post one in regular intervals. I think the latter would work a bit better, to avoid problems with people forgetting or whatever.

Offline Lick

• View Profile
    • yup

Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 08:11:07 am
It seems to me that the this topic will get spammed and the challenges will leak through each other. It's better if we'd do something like Animation Challenge Of The Week, and post new topics each week.

Animation Challenge Week #1
Animation Challenge Week #2
(or leave 'Week' out)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: July 14, 2006, 03:10:35 am
Yes Pawige I would love it if you could do the next one, and I think passing it on and on is a great idea.  Sorry I've neglected this (new job is eating my soul).

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #50 on: July 24, 2006, 03:25:41 am
Sorry to raise a recently deceased topic, but:

Okay start? I currently suck at animation of any kind... onto the next Animation Challenge!
EDIT: Of course he's untrustworthy... <_<' I must have missed that part.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:27:55 pm by mccow28 »