AuthorTopic: What are the most optimal tilesheet workflows?  (Read 7061 times)

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Re: What are the most optimal tilesheet workflows?

Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 05:04:59 am
The draw first, then turn into a tileset is what I did for this tileset and used for some tiles in other tilesets too:

I think it is a superior workflow for anything more organic, it's much faster and it looks much more organic. Downside is that inexperienced map makers might have trouble making maps with them. For other tile-sets, like this one, I would still use a more old fashioned method:

For tools I only use GIMP with a grid and Tiled to test the practicability of the tileset.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:32:49 am by Mr. Beast »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 10:05:40 am
@mrbeast: that cave is impressive, but I doubt it would be any practical to use as a tilesheet. If I had to build maps out of that, I'd definitely ask for a convenient "copy/paste" of large, any-sized blocks from a reference mockup rather than be presented a tile sheet, to be honest.

What grid size have you used for that one ?

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 12:37:23 pm
I once tried the map editor for the MS-DOS version of Command and Conquer (or was it Red Alert ?), and it was a real eye-opener because it proposed pre-made "tile brushes" consisting of several tiles : Some shapes were rectangular (2x2, 3x2 etc), some where L-shaped, the biggest ones where easily 6 tile long. It was very clear that in order to "break the grid", the artist had planned some shapes in advance, and the editor kept track of them.

edit: At last I found a screenshot : Notice the weirdly-shaped piece in the bottom-rightbox, it's made of 11 individual tiles. Placing such figure once is much easier than if the 11 tiles were scattered in the tileset !
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:51:21 pm by yrizoud »