AuthorTopic: Thanewdude's sprites and more!  (Read 10335 times)

Offline Thanewdude07

• Yu Yu Hakusho fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt-Thanewdude07 sprite art

Thanewdude's sprites and more!

on: January 17, 2013, 10:52:06 pm
Well last time i was here i posted up a few things and then vanished  for a few months  :yell:

Yeah live was a bit colorful. But I am back and posting a few of my recent works

First up is my  character "Honey Valentine"

She is a princess and she has the power to grant anything a state of consciousness with the power that comes from her crown that is connected to her soul. She is very open for attack when using this power and that's where her guardians come into play!

She is only serious most of the time and seldom does she have time for games. I will type more and continue developing this character and her back story with further updates! I hope you all enjoy this change of pace. Give me some feedback and let me know what you think!

Also Her slippers also have their own personalities thanks to her powers  I will speak more about them next time as well!

and this is Hiei from yu yu hakusho!

I could have added more details but i wanted to keep it true to the anime so that's why i didn't add too much stuff to him.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 01:52:30 am by Thanewdude07 »

Offline Thanewdude07

• Yu Yu Hakusho fan
    • View Profile

Re: Thanewdude's sprites and more!

Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:03:35 am
OK here is a few more of my works. I am looking get my level up to where i can start getting hired for some better pixel art jobs..So i need to work some more original stuff and try learning how to do other things besides fighting game art :crazy:

yu yu hakusho stage

U.D.C Jaden

Fighting game i was paid to work on for a while.

The animator drew the animation and me and a friend worked in to this...mostly finished.

Ixya

Sprite her from a picture one of the artist drew!

Looking add more sooner! :lol:

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:29:19 pm
Honey Valentine -  I think there are some problems with the proportions. The head appears too small compared to legs (or generally, size of extremities compared to head and torso are off). I like the usage of colors and the design overall (fluffy slippers).

Ixya - Again, I love the colors here, and the anatomy is much better compared to Valentine. Her posture lacks balance, though. I think you need to shift the center of weight a bit forward, and her hands definitely need to be corrected (do you have the reference image available online?).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:36:10 pm by Lachie Dazdarian »

Offline Thanewdude07

• Yu Yu Hakusho fan
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:09:24 pm
 ;D Thanks for the feed back

Honey- Well yeah I had problems with those areas you pointed out I did this one mostly on my own. I am still trying to tighten up my original works up a bit. So your saying I should make her head bigger?

Ixya_ I would love to post up the picture I used but I don't have permission from the company to do so :( But its pretty much the same as the sprite she is like in the middle of taking a step.

I would fix these up but I worked on them not to long ago and i don't feel like messing with them right now :yell:

I will post some new stuff that I am currently working on in order to update those with feedback.

Offline Thanewdude07

• Yu Yu Hakusho fan
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 11:58:12 pm
Ahh i see what your saying now about the head :o

Thanks for clearing that up!

I need some help on learning how to sprite grass and tress.. I want to expand my skill range a bit :y:

I gave it a shot last night and i did a bunch of reading... of  this tutorial

http://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/sywtbapa_almighty_grass_tile.php

and I gave it a shot!

:'(

nothing awesome yet but i was hoping someone could help me out and point me in the right direction! ;D

Keiko from yu yu hakusho

High School Yusuke!

SSJ Teen Gohan

More to come ;)

Also Love the smileys man...who ever did them is awesome :y:

Offline Thanewdude07

• Yu Yu Hakusho fan
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 08:06:16 pm
Bump :o

Hey everyone! got sick and did some sprites! :P

Asuns Yuuki From Sword art online  :crazy:

and Here is my progress on a isometric buliding I am trying understand how to do to them...

From what I understand In a isometric style sprite 3 angles are shown at all times. I might be wrong so correct me. Anyways i need help understanding this better.. here is my work so far...

Here is another requested sprite i did for someone  :lol:

I might wanna add some more stuff to this one and maybe a animation..

Let me know what you think :y:

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:40:04 pm
Here is another requested sprite i did for someone  :lol:

I might wanna add some more stuff to this one and maybe a animation..

Let me know what you think :y:

I thought the proportions and pose looked quite wonky.
So I tried to make a quick edit, but then I just kept adding to it and it turned into this:

The pose is less dramatic, but I was just trying to stabilize it.
The legs are still kinda wonky and there's lots of stuff I left in a rough state..

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:53:37 pm by Seiseki »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 08:39:12 pm
Thanewdude, the sprites that you trace from animes look very crisp and colorful! :y:

However, I suggest that you concentrate on creating original works, as they are the ones that will truly enhance your growth as an artist  ;)

Offline Thanewdude07

• Yu Yu Hakusho fan
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 08:43:39 pm
Thanks for you help! :D

I like how you did the face pretty nice. :-*

Yeah I did the proportions a bit funky like that on purpose was going for a pocket fighter-ish stype of deal....If i go big i will try to use the face you did..I like both faces but yours has a very pretty cute look to it >.<

But I just got started working on a animation from that pose i did into something else...so I will post that up shortly and If i make enough progress I will also try to post up the building as well  ;D

Personal note"

still sick coughing up my lungs  :blind:

@YellowLime

You are very right! I am gonna be doing a lot more original works to improve bunches  :crazy:

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 03:15:25 pm
Hi there.

I know it's fun and all to do pixelart and your enthusiasm is honorable. However I think you need to slow down a bit. There are still a lot of things you can improve on your previous art and the risk is kind of big that you will keep making the same "misstakes" over and over if you just head on to new pieces before anyone (or you) had a chance to critic thoroughly.

Your style is kind of old school anime and it's cool in its way. But as everyone else have said, the proportions are, I don't know, everywhere and nowhere. And when it comes to fightergame sprites, of course things are often exaggerated, meaning muscles, women chests ect. But the proportions of a human is still there, behind all that.

So my advice to you, before you spurt out any more art, is to go have a look at some threads on the forum about it. There is a LOT of things to learn from here just by browsing around for a bit. Learning from other peoples misstakes and what they did to fix it is one of the ingredients to become better.

Official Anatomy Thread is one of them [Best warn for the nudity]:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=6528.msg138018#msg138018

So, pause a bit, go look about, and make something with all the information you've come over and try to stick with  piece a littler longer so the rest of us can keep up and give you the necessary comments and critics to improve your skills.

I would stay you should prioritize anatomy and outlining to begin with. Your sense of colour seems quite good!

//coffee

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 03:32:00 pm by coffee »