AuthorTopic: Big boobed characters in video games  (Read 125611 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Big boobed characters in video games

Reply #290 on: April 20, 2013, 01:54:29 pm
Races exist in a way, as in there are groups of people who were genetically isolated for long enough periods of time for the observable differences to arise. And race continues to exist just as in dogs. There is a reason blacks always win the sprints in the olympics. And there has never been a black world chess champion.

You should do some research into this and you will find out that it is very overstated.

Also, dogs are bred for certain traits, humans are not, humans are naturally selected, which is a big difference. Race is a concept which makes sense in humans as far as cultural differences go as well as forensic science. But there are no human races which are the same as dog races, not even close.

And I have to agree with Seiseki that your statement was pretty racist.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #291 on: April 20, 2013, 03:00:02 pm
I have done research into it. I have read many books on race and I know the arguments against my position.

Dogs are naturally selected of course, but they are still all the same species with big differences in size, shape, intelligence, athletic ability, etc after having come from a common stock.

Whether it is natural selection or artificial selection doesn't necessarily matter unless you are to believe that those differences can not come about naturally from genetically isolated populations given the right stimuli. All evidence points to the fact that they have for certain traits in humans.

If there is ever a white fastest man in the world or a black world chess champion in my lifetime, I will give all my worldly possessions to charity.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 03:01:45 pm by Parkerbaby »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #292 on: April 20, 2013, 03:47:21 pm
Dogs breeds are 100% artificially selected, not for fitness (as in traits that make it more likely for them to reproduce), but for whims of the breeders to make them look fancy, or in more reasonable cases to breed for a specific task (from being eaten to herding and so on).

Yes, there is variation within different groups of humans, and same goes for different groups of blacks (or whites). Most of the sprinters and long distance runners ancestry can be traced back to a certain region of Africa. Not all blacks are great runners, not all whites are great weightlifters (or let alone chess players.) I am sure there are PLENTY of black chessplayers that can kick the ass of many a white chess player, ie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Ashley

What you are doing tho is being entirely too broad brushed. And what you are also implying is something like: "Those blacks can run real good, but they are not the brightest." which is shockingly racist actually.

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #293 on: April 20, 2013, 07:34:01 pm
I am being broad brushed because I am talking about on average and generalities. Yes, of course there are black players who are very good and white sprinters who are very good, but if the average of a population if considerably lower, the best just will not stack up to the best of the higher average  population.

For instance the link you posted is the first black GM in history. Could be assumed to be one of the very best in history. His rating is 2443 compared Carlsen's 2872. But, this greatest chess player comment is really arbitrary. Of course, not everyone wants to play chess at all, and it is not all about intelligence. I am just a chess fan so I picked it.

What I am implying is there are genetic differences in the once genetically isolated populations which were naturally selected for in very different environments. And the averages of the populations differ.

I feel if something is true it cannot be racist, or if it can the definition of racist must be reconsidered. I do not have these views because I am hateful or racist. I just think this is the way the world is.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #294 on: April 20, 2013, 08:03:08 pm
I would agree that there are groups of people who are probably better at something because of genetic predisposition that others, sprinters included, but most of the winning Olympic  sprinters can trace their heritage back to a specific area within Africa, not just generally Africa.

And you can make an argument that in a specific terrain selection pressure on sprinting was very high, hence this outcome. You can not really make this argument for playing chess, at all. And your statement really does imply that blacks are not as smart as whites. Which is racist. If you want to answer that with something like: There have been less black scientists than white scientists, you would be right with that statement, but that also has nothing to do with intelligence, but with socio-economic, agricultural, historical as well as other factors which placed people from Africa and their descendants into a much worse starting position.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #295 on: April 22, 2013, 06:49:30 am
It's kind of shocking to me that Parkerbaby would look first to race as the defining factor of chess standings instead of cultural upbringing, history and class. As you said, it's not racist if it's true. But is it true just because it sounds plausible to you with your limited data and understanding of the subject? What research have you done in how different cultures shape or create an interest in chess across the world?

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #296 on: April 22, 2013, 05:08:55 pm
I said I arbitrarily picked chess to make it less offensive. If I had said IQ, it would have been more offensive.
I have done a lot of research on IQ and how it differs with race. I estimate over 70 hours of it.

And it is shocking if I had used race as the defining factor of chess standings and that is precisely why I didn't. What I said was there has never been a black world champion which is true. I will also suggest there will never be one, which cannot be determined.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #297 on: April 22, 2013, 05:21:30 pm
Yeah, it still is racist, very. And saying there will never be a black world champion in chess is similar to saying "There will never be a black president of the U.S.", oops. Just because something has not happened yet, does not mean it could not happen at some point.

There is no conclusive data on IQ and race, both intelligence and race are very loosely defined concepts within scientific context. And IQ tests are also not a clear measure of how intelligent someone is.

What this looks like to me is that you have some preconceptions and that you looked at some research which supports your preconception and voila. And it does not matter how many hours you research something on which there is no conclusive data whatsoever.

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #298 on: April 22, 2013, 05:31:07 pm
What a coincidence because that's exactly how I feel about you. You have preconceptions and any evidence you can cling to, you do. The president of the USA is elected. Blacks can vote. The world chess champion is not elected.

I'd argue that there is conclusive data. IQ tests are by far the most reliable measure we have, but you can look at anything: crime, income, literacy, brain size. Anything.

Even if I were to agree with all the tenets of your argument, that there is no reliable way to measure intelligence at all that still doesn't mean there is equality in it.
Your default position is equality and mine is inequality.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:35:07 pm by Parkerbaby »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #299 on: April 22, 2013, 05:40:56 pm
I am just gonna leave this conversation with the impression that you are a racist who has not looked at enough data against his argument, and call it a day. Sorry if I wasted some of your time, I know I have wasted mine.