AuthorTopic: Big boobed characters in video games  (Read 125646 times)

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Re: Big boobed characters in video games

Reply #180 on: March 08, 2013, 05:26:25 pm
I'm starting to see it everywhere, when attention is given to underprivileged groups, all of a sudden the privileged group feel threatened and powerless..
The scales haven't shifted, it's just becoming slightly more balanced, but for some people that seems like the end of the world..

Revelant: http://weeklysift.com/2012/09/10/the-distress-of-the-privileged/

I thought this had been posted before, but I skimmed the thread and didn't see it. The article is more focused on gay marriage specifically, but it goes a long way toward explaining "counter revolutions" in general.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #181 on: March 08, 2013, 05:43:04 pm
I'm starting to see it everywhere, when attention is given to underprivileged groups, all of a sudden the privileged group feel threatened and powerless..
The scales haven't shifted, it's just becoming slightly more balanced, but for some people that seems like the end of the world..

Revelant: http://weeklysift.com/2012/09/10/the-distress-of-the-privileged/

I thought this had been posted before, but I skimmed the thread and didn't see it. The article is more focused on gay marriage specifically, but it goes a long way toward explaining "counter revolutions" in general.

Great read, anyone who's read this thread might also see why I can relate ;D

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #182 on: March 09, 2013, 03:52:26 am
But is there other ways of directing games towards men? Violent games for example. Speaking broadly, I think men are much more fascinated and amused by violence than women.
The question is if it's only a cultural thing, and if so, should the cultural difference of men and women be taken into account when directing games towards both genders?
Because that seems misogynist in it's own way..

Didn't want to watch that misogynist video, seen enough of those. (Happy that the woman vs trope thing has started.)
The feministfrequency actually has more videos that are pretty helpful with realizing how these things actually are... I think the reason why men are interested in violence is partly because men are portrayed as being interested and resorting to violence. It's "normal" for a boy to be interested in guns and wargames.
Im not sure whether we -need- to direct anything toward either gender. Why can't a sim be for both boys and girls? What about a wargame like Battlefield or whatever is inappropriate for a female gamer? In the past advertisement has made an entire anatomical detail "unsightly" that before was considered ok. That's armpit hair.

You might like this bit of news, apparently sweden is trying out a gender neutral pronoun for children =)
http://www.disinfo.com/2012/04/sweden-to-use-new-gender-neutral-pronoun-hen/

That whole discussion also reminded me of hearing something a Kogi said in a speech once, he was telling us about how when children become used to playing war the culture has changed and the soul has changed, they're not the same anymore. No kogi child is like that.

Hit me real hard too because I thought it was natural, I thought if they didnt make toy guns then the kids would tie stick together to make their own...but then I realized...no, no Schwarzenegger, no gun worship =/.

Honestly, I still dislike the label feminism. I understand that it's actually about equality but why isnt it called gender/sex equality then? I have personally had contact with women who really become abusive to men thinking they're being feminist, clearly these women arent very smart and arent delving deep into the roots of the movement, but that is what is bound to happen with language, I think it's the same as with sex specific children pronouns.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 03:58:42 am by Conceit »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #183 on: March 09, 2013, 05:47:07 am
If we're getting into topics like:
Why can't a sim be for both boys and girls? What about a wargame like Battlefield or whatever is inappropriate for a female gamer?

then I feel obligated to link this Norwegian video documentary series, particularly part 1 and perhaps part 6.

Summary: What sociologists say about gender roles, sexuality, and behaviour appears to come from ideological belief rather than evidence, and there is convincing evidence that there are some broad differences in preferences that arise before birth. In part 1 the fact that gender segregation in jobs increases the 'free-er'/ more equal a country is, is discussed. Consistent preferences for either systematizing (males) or socializing (females) seem to exist from infancy.

I linked that mainly to say, it would mean that to develop a sim that appeals to both sexes (in a 'broad market appeal' sense: the average man, the average woman), you'd need to have strong elements of both systematizing and socializing in the game, with an even balance.
I'm coming up blank as to any games that have achieved a solid balance of those, actually.

EDIT: retracted (see video Helm links below)

...arguing with a person that bashing on a post that educates people boobplates are not scientifically or historically sound is stupid, ...
I'm confused. It looks like something got pasted in where it didn't belong, or left out. In any case I didn't understand that sentence, and I'm pretty sure 'boobplates' isn't even a word.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:47:02 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #184 on: March 09, 2013, 11:07:38 am
It is very possible said genetic differences between genders have been overstated by the scientific community because of their want to further a cultural agenda, be it consciously or subconsciously so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leQiMBPUz0g

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #185 on: March 09, 2013, 11:46:18 am
It is very possible said genetic differences between genders have been overstated by the scientific community because of their want to further a cultural agenda, be it consciously or subconsciously so.
Definitely -- I would go further and say it's practically guaranteed that is the case. I don't want to convey the idea that genetics is all there is, but rather that it's significant enough that it's just as harmful to say 'no genetics is involved in gender' as it is to say 'genetics is all there is to gender'. The former proposition seems to be popular among feminists, but is obviously an exaggeration -- and one that causes unnecessary confusion.

EDIT: after watching the below video, I'm convinced that there is no proof for gendered behaviour/neurology. My belief that gender identity has a genetic component is unchanged.

Looks like it's probably an excellent video, from what I can find out about Cordelia Fine. I'll watch it when I have an hour spare :)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 01:51:19 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #186 on: March 09, 2013, 12:29:53 pm
...arguing with a person that bashing on a post that educates people boobplates are not scientifically or historically sound is stupid, ...
I'm confused. It looks like something got pasted in where it didn't belong, or left out. In any case I didn't understand that sentence, and I'm pretty sure 'boobplates' isn't even a word.
There was a post on tumblr that explained how boob-shapes in the chestplate actually direct sword blows to your heart, as well as falling over while wearing one will direct the force on the bone at the middle of your ribcage -> severe damage -> risk of death. Thus it is scientifically unsound to wear one as protection.

I think feminism is called feminism is because females are so inequal to men that you have to focus on females to get anything done. Even now people are crying "We are already equal!", so an equalist movement might well die out just from lack of attention.
Alternatively, females are kinda bitter about having to accomodate men all the time?
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #187 on: March 09, 2013, 10:08:42 pm
There was a post on tumblr that explained how boob-shapes in the chestplate actually direct sword blows to your heart, as well as falling over while wearing one will direct the force on the bone at the middle of your ribcage -> severe damage -> risk of death. Thus it is scientifically unsound to wear one as protection.
Oh, so a missing 'that' after 'people', and attachment of the subordinate clause 'is stupid' in an ambiguous place. Gotcha.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #188 on: March 10, 2013, 12:35:55 am
Hehe, sorry. I'm actually too derpy to even understand how to improve the sentence..! LANGUAGE BARRIER, THOU HAST FORSAKEN ME.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #189 on: March 10, 2013, 01:43:54 am

Quote from: Ymedron
LANGUAGE BARRIER, THOU HAST FORSAKEN ME.
I thought the whole problem was that it refused to forsake you ;)

To be more instructive, the basic problem is really that you constructed a huge lumbering beast of a sentence to start with.
I'd fix it by breaking it up a bit more.

Original:
Lastly, I spent some time arguing with a person that bashing on a post that educates people boobplates are not scientifically or historically sound is stupid, and that we need to educate content providers so we don't perpetuate sexism. He said that mistreatment of women is all down to upbringing and has nothing to do with media.

Altered:
Lastly: A person was bashing on a post that educates people that boobplates are not scientifically or historically sound. I spent some time arguing with them that bashing it is stupid and we need to educate content providers so we don't perpetuate sexism. He said that mistreatment of women is all down to upbringing and has nothing to do with media.

Quote from: Helm
Okay, I take back my previous post -- including the claim that this video looks excellent. It is brilliant and worth watching for pretty much anybody. Thanks Helm!

Now I'll have to find a different way to deal with the fact I find 'male' behaviour so idiotic and grating. O L  :)