AuthorTopic: Big boobed characters in video games  (Read 125673 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Big boobed characters in video games

Reply #130 on: January 22, 2013, 03:40:22 pm
The most downloaded mods for Skyrim are "clean faces" and "big booty" mods, who clean up female faces and adjust the measurements of the female models only. That's what the average video game player wants.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #131 on: January 22, 2013, 04:23:11 pm
Helm> The argument in these kind of discussions often is that a wider selection is good. I don't think it's realistic, nor reasonable to expect that every individual expresses an equal amount of diversity through some form of rationing. How perfectly dull. Diversity is something you might see in a larger aggregation, with individual actors providing the things they are experts at. It was more a joke about the supposed tyranny of big breasts than anything else though.

As for the panties, the feedback I get on that is overwhelmingly either confused laughs or encouragement, from men and women alike (even those with feminist leanings). I have unwittingly made it a trademark and people even like to jokingly express disappointment whenever I do a complete dress. If I'm somehow committing an act of utter barbarity, to be frowned upon by the enlightened, blue unisex overall folks in the next century, I'm completely blind to it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #132 on: January 22, 2013, 05:15:21 pm
I don't know about that strawman blue unisex overall folks you're talking about, I am also in the 'confused' category and I am not sure you've cleared out your motivations any with your answer. It's fine if you don't care to, though.

I am not sure how comfortable I am with the idea of 'individual actors providing the things they're experts at' in this context, because many actors seem to be expert at providing art (which otherwise varies in quality and scope) or dependably sexist and misogynistic form. These individual actors do not function in a vacuum, they are interconnected in what they're inspired from and to what they relate to. That web is a culture and it's that culture that I - and others - wish to see change. Where does this change start? Does it start with leaving discrete actors to do whatever they want and pretend they're not products of a society with specific structure that serves specific sends?

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #133 on: January 22, 2013, 07:09:15 pm
I think you hit the nail on the head. But, wishes don't actually work. If you want to change the culture, you have to actively contribute to diversification and integrate your ideas into the cultural web.

Motivation? I thought it was self evident. A fetish is a fetish. Mine's been with me from the very start, which might seem a little strange. It's not something which was planted in a pot at puberty because I read a sexy magazine, just as it isn't for gays. In fact, when I first came upon those magazines I was sort of disgusted by the... direct meatiness and lack of leaving things to imagination. I won't deny that the surrounding culture might have nudged me around a little (the Alien 1 ending :o it's very strange to me when people complain about Ripley's "flat" ass by the way, it's what makes the panty work so well ). Anyways, a gay artist might draw gay stuff, just as I do what I do.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:19:33 pm by Arne »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #134 on: January 22, 2013, 07:13:16 pm
I am doing my part to change the culture, it might be small but I am doing it. Are you?

As to fetishes, that interesting and thanks for the honesty. I also have my own fetishes (and I also cannot track where they started, I do not think most people can?) but I do not put them in my art often, then again I am not as prolific as you. Is your fetish especially the tiny panties or is it to put tiny panties on videogame-related characters in particular?

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #135 on: January 22, 2013, 08:44:35 pm
No, the panty thing carried over into unrelated interests which developed later. Someone actually mailed me and asked me if I thought of myself as a pervert. It's semantics. Aren't most people? Maybe I'm kind of tame, so I can make it public. Maybe a real pervert have to hide stuff for his entire life?

As for being efficient: I used to be really confrontational whenever a creationist showed up. They were wrong, dammit, and they needed to be told. I was saving the world with every sentence and every talk.origins link. Then I spent 5hrs on a single image which made any of my previous efforts insignificant and it felt meaningless to engage with words again.

Gender inequality is one of the items on a very long list of world problems which I'm currently not much attempting to solve with words on the internet, other than advocating the most effective solution I know of (plus, I help people with art, programming, industry questions and whatnot). That's my part. I do believe it to give the most bang for the buck.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:52:33 pm by Arne »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #136 on: January 22, 2013, 09:05:29 pm
Pragmatically most people exhibit abberant sexual behaviours here and there depending on one's definition of what is normal. But on the ideological level very few people self-identify as proud perverts. Normative structures are enforced by those in power to channel and direct people's sexuality, repress it to the point where they will supplant their libido by purchasing this or that product instead of persuing their objects of lust. It's a very basic thing. A proud pervert is an enemy to the capital insofar that their prime source of enjoyment is self-sufficient and unregulated.

I do agree confrontations with atheists is not the most efficient use of your time given your capacities as an artist. I did not mean that this thread or any other similar is my prime contribution to solving the problem of chauvinism, in the case that was what was conveyed. But it does help. In the very least, even staying silent helps more than saying 'can't do anything until the female nerd brigade shows up!'.

I am glad to hear you're being proactive in other channels. I am not sure about a few things I've read in your posts in this thread so far because they seemed strangely to make light of the situation, hence my prodding. I might be reading you wrong, but it's not such a big deal in the end.

edit: sorry missed one line that actually could further conversation:
Maybe a real pervert have to hide stuff for his entire life?

Many do. But in the case they're brave - and I consider myself brave on matters of sexuality - I think it's a matter of context. Where my characters in a story to have sex, I would see if there's an angle where my own sexual inclinations can be presented and commented upon, but I wouldn't sit on my desk and draw metroid sprite redesigns having sex in the particular way I am interested in, I am sure you follow. And even then, I would explore my particular fascinations in perhaps one tenth of the sexual material I would create on the whole because I am interested in exploring thoughts and concepts I do not myself have a special liking to much more. But perhaps all this is related to that for me drawing is a pain and I do not sit down and draw easily if it's not for work. You might enjoy drawing much more than me and it seems you produce a lot more, in which case I can see how throwing stuff in to keep you entertained might be a bigger part of your creative loop.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:11:24 pm by Helm »

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Reply #137 on: January 22, 2013, 09:08:49 pm
To do: ??? Cow made my lovely avatar.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #138 on: January 22, 2013, 10:26:58 pm
the Alien 1 ending :o

Must be a pretty powerful image, I always got flash-backs of this scene when looking at your art!  I had no idea they were related.   :lol:

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #139 on: January 22, 2013, 10:41:38 pm
By the way, here is an image that I feel is very well done. The way she is drawn tells a story, rather than just being drawn in a way that pleases the artist/is easiest to draw/gets the most hypothetical appendages throbbing.

(from this article: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/22/psylocke-art-greg-land-jerome-opena/
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com