AuthorTopic: Big boobed characters in video games  (Read 125607 times)

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Re: Big boobed characters in video games

Reply #90 on: January 20, 2013, 04:48:47 pm
I assume this was a rhetorical question?
Nope. Since you picked those out specifically, do you think they are particularly sexist?

Compared to his other works, lol.
To do: ??? Cow made my lovely avatar.

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #91 on: January 20, 2013, 05:04:53 pm
Nope. Since you picked those out specifically, do you think they are particularly sexist?

Compared to his other works, lol.

I picked those out because they had less explicit breasts and phalluses drawn all over them compared to the rest :lol:

I don't think that having a few sprites of women like that is at all sexist (again, women with abnormally inflated breasts do exists within the masses of normal human beings), but the fact that essentially every single woman on his blog is drawn like that is a lot more questionable.  In addition, most of the males are drawn with the previously discussed "power fantasy" of big muscles and such.

That being said, that blog link was actually a pretty good example to throw into here, now that I've thought about it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:06:37 pm by Ashbad »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #92 on: January 20, 2013, 05:17:45 pm
I think it's good to get some concrete examples here.
How would you give criticism from a feminist standpoint?

Does it matter for what purpose the character is drawn?
I mean he's obviously drawing for himself and his peers, at least subconsciously?
But with those huge.. well.. I doubt it's actually subconsciously..

So is this kind of art a problem or is the problem that it is too common?
It is a bit ridiculous but it is also a style, even if it's a sexist style.

Where can the line be drawn between sexism and taste?
If a game sexualizes men and female in the same way, doesn't it come down to taste?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:26:38 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Reply #93 on: January 20, 2013, 05:53:09 pm
Lots of Robertson's stuff there seems to be fan art, just for fun. The girl in tank top and hotpants is for a commercial game.

It's all in a distinctive style, and the big boobs are a constant motif. Plus the superhero dudes and ultraviolence. I infer: he draws what he likes, and doesn't give a damn who he alienates. It's for him and other men with tastes developed from a healthy diet of videogames and anime (like me).

But I don't think he's gonna put dickmonsters in Mercenary Kings. Might be interesting to ask Tribute (the developer) who their game is for. I think they have commercial goals that will force Paul to restrain himself somewhat. Perhaps with the right tactical approach, some social justice-minded people could convince Tribute to make him tone it down some more, and test how truly 'independent' they are. Who's up for kicking a hornets' nest?

Where can the line be drawn between sexism and taste?

Why does a line need to be drawn? Can't tastes be sexist?

If a game sexualizes men and female in the same way

Gotta stop you right here. How is that even possible, given that men and women are sexualised differently, even when you do the same things to them (e.g. dress both a man and a woman in a speedo)?

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #94 on: January 20, 2013, 06:11:32 pm
Sexualising men and women in the same way, as in, both evoke the same sense of lust or whatever it is supposed to evoke, rather than men being the heroes and women being the fuckdolls. (excuse my language but getting kinda frustated in having to say this over and over again)
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #95 on: January 20, 2013, 06:30:00 pm
Sexualising men and women in the same way, as in, both evoke the same sense of lust or whatever it is supposed to evoke, rather than men being the heroes and women being the fuckdolls. (excuse my language but getting kinda frustated in having to say this over and over again)

But what does that actually mean in practice?
Everyone has different tastes.

And I've also asked this several times, would this be equal for both sexes?

Why does a line need to be drawn? Can't tastes be sexist?

Of course taste can be sexist, like a style can be sexist..
But if you don't like sexualized characters, neither women nor men, then you don't like that style no matter what.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:31:56 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #96 on: January 20, 2013, 06:36:14 pm
Well, if it's in a game or a comic book, then you can consult someone else. If it's for yourself, I suppose you can disregard anyone's opinions. But it'd still be more courteous to try and think about it for a bit.
Basically when something is specifically made for public consumption, you need to think harder than when you do something for yourself.

Once in the past I was frustated with Oblivion mods because almost all of the improved texture mods required a nsfw female texture mod that basically stripped away their underwear and made a highly detailed vagina. I posted on the forum expressing this fact, but the thread was quickly closed and I was told that I am not allowed to criticize modders.

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Reply #97 on: January 20, 2013, 07:02:29 pm
The lust evoked would be different depending on the sexuality of the beholder, no? I think more visual examples would help, for me at least. Here's something with western comic dudes.

They look ridiculous. But are they really an example of the hypothetical case in question; does this generally appeal to heterosexual women comic readers? I don't know. I don't think that was the intent behind this... fan art, let's call it. It was drawn to point out, to men, something along the lines of the ridiculousness and gratuitousness of sexy posing, costumes etc. for women comic characters. Seeing these remixes (not these I linked in particular, but others in the same vein) and reading the accompanying commentary has made me more aware of sexualisation in media. But it hasn't made it look just as ridiculous or unappealing.

What was my point again?

Would a comic book with both the parody effeminate sexy dudes and ordinary sexualised women heroes be sexist? Is that even a relevant example? Buggered if I know.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #98 on: January 20, 2013, 07:20:46 pm
The point of that was originally to showcase how ridiculous and stupid the poses looked. They originated from criticism on female posing that actually has no sense and isn't really sexy, either. (Which comes from comic book artists only learning from other comic books, which leads to this hideous cycle)

I don't think people who are attracted to women have such singular tastes either - if this equal sexualization took place, purely in the interest of satisfying the entire audience, then they would have to have all the different body types present. People can like muscular, chubby or thin women, just like they can like muscular, chubby or thin men.

Slightly off the sexualization mark, but I was thinking about pokemon. Basically, it allows for one male, and one female. This is equal I think , both females and males have equal exposure.

note: also notice that Im a single person and not representing the interests of the entire female or feminist community - so please take that into consideration. Just in case.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #99 on: January 20, 2013, 07:39:09 pm
I think it would be a good thing if women started drawing stuff like this..
Women have sexuality too, why shouldn't they be able to express it the same way men do?