AuthorTopic: My Palette Collection  (Read 11804 times)

Offline Streaksy

• View Profile

Re: My Palette Collection

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 08:21:53 pm
I played it on the PC, and more recently on a Genesis emulator.  Saving state lets you really push your luck.  I think I did the first island with 4 men and had about 3000 or something stupid saved for the last island.  It wasn't anime, and I've not seen that before, but I've seen a version with custom character creation.  Amiga or something?  Dunno.

I suppose the original Mega-Lo-Mania had a kind of cartoonish style - especially the little sprites.  I like it like that, though.  The more something is defined, the more it accords to the artist's vision and adopted trends that I don't care about.  If an artist can't be inspired by the original instead of thinking "this would be even better in anime/whatever" then he/she's the wrong person for the job, as far as I'm concerned.  Nearly every time a game is remade and the style is updated along with the tech, my heart sinks.  I don't blame them because people would complain and I'm probably a minority, and I suppose the more defined a sprite is, the more character it has to have.  I think that's why I'm so reluctant to let go of retro styles, and why arbitrary design limits like pixelisation are so appealing to me.  Modern game design elements really hit me as arbitrary instead of apt.  I HATE arbitrary detail for the sake of it.  I hate the Final Fantasy games after 7 because its like they see a space and have to fill it with meaningless detail out of pointless impulse.  Even the soundtrack is just noise to me.  It's like devs can't tell the difference between intricacy and artistry.  Your sprites are damn good though.  They're actually apt.  That's rare.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:34:32 pm by Streaksy »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:11 pm
I don't think you can have that many (in the Amiga version. You get +100 per 3 islands/level, 8 epochs plus the last one, so 800 max? I think I completed the first 2 cell island with one or probably two guys on the Amiga. It was possible to do on some of the later levels too if you got lucky with mutual annihilation amongst the NPCs. I didn't on one of the nuke levels and had to spend 70 guys, otherwise I would've had 500 left, I remember.

The idea with my redesigns was to pay attention to the fact that many different aliens met up to fight for the world. In the game, all you get is human gods to chose between, but the intro quite clearly depicts aliens showing interest too.

The pic in question is here: http://androidarts.com/computer_games.htm - It's a bit old. I'd approach it differently now.

Offline Streaksy

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 08:56:21 pm
I know the pic, with all the Gods gathered 'round the "new planet".  They're guiding the primitive, indigenous people, I thought.  Like guiding them through thousands of years of tech and conquest to see which God ends up with full control of the planet through the supremacy of the worshipful people they control/influence.  That's the impression I got.  But there's no reason the four "Gods" can't have their own species on the planet anyway, like they seeded the planet seperately and the game starts when they're ready to start conquering.  Visually it's interesting and that's the point.  :P

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 02:10:10 pm
I will share my palette!
My palette is 3 color: black, cyan, yellow (using exact rgb values for them)
Cyan is for sky, yellow is for sun. Black may be for other objects/player in game.
Ditherings: Cyan and yellow can be dithered to make light green, a color for grass. Cyan and black makes color for rain or water. Yellow and black makes dirt or gold.
Image sample of palette:

Offline Streaksy

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 02:27:44 am
I will share my palette!
My palette is 3 color: black, cyan, yellow (using exact rgb values for them)
Cyan is for sky, yellow is for sun. Black may be for other objects/player in game.
Ditherings: Cyan and yellow can be dithered to make light green, a color for grass. Cyan and black makes color for rain or water. Yellow and black makes dirt or gold.
Image sample of palette:

Interesting combos..

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #15 on: October 04, 2015, 07:19:41 pm
Obsoleet palettes are interesting, especially that there are three 32-color palettes! Did you made them? Did you got ideas from someone?

Offline Streaksy

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 03:29:06 am
I just balanced various considerations.  A big consideration was nostalgic vivid colours.  The other was just practical variety.  I gave myself a few options to play with to see what game-feels I could produce with them.

(My game engine can switch palettes instantly so it's interesting to see my games in various retro styles)