AuthorTopic: My Palette Collection  (Read 11806 times)

Offline Streaksy

• View Profile

My Palette Collection

on: January 16, 2013, 03:51:49 am
Hi.  I'm Streaks and I make games.  I'm a bit of a nostalgia junky aswell.  One of my projects is a spoof retro game system called Obsoleet.  It emulates pixelly-palettey screenmodes efficiently and you can switch palettes instantly on-the-fly.  Usually, holding the middle-mouse-button opens a palette menu, the contents of which is automatically populated by palette files in the palette folder.

Point is... maybe someone here might have a use for them.

The Obsoleet collumn are my spoof retro machines that I play around with.  Admiral 16 is a Commodore 64 spoof, with a similarly desaturated 16-colour palette.  Some other colour-sets bare explanation, so ask if you're interested.  "Library", for example is my collection of named colours I started like 4 years ago for a UI project and became one of my beloved children because I have no life.

Now... the last collumn is called TheWayOfThePixel.net.  Little story about how I found this site.  When I started on this Obsoleet game engine project (2010 or 2011, I forget), I did a little googling for people's custom palettes, and the only thing I found of interested was a post on this site from someone called Arne who proposed a few nice 8-colour palettes.  I included them because I like them, for private experimenting.  Later I added a few more palettes that people had suggested on this site - some interesting sets from pixel-art challenge threads.  All named after the proposer.  Ages ago I made this account so I could send a PM to Arne and (I think) Locoluis, but I spent like months trying to get a verification email.  like 6 month later I manged, sent messages, and still no reply.  I just logged in again today, and my sent folder is empty.  Either it failed or the sent folder self-empties after a while, or whatever.

Anyway, very impressive stuff on this site.  Hope this can be of some use to someone, or at least slightly ammusing.  :P  PS don't rip off my obsoleet stuff.  I sweated over them.  :P

Offline Streaksy

• View Profile

Re: My Palette Collection

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 03:58:42 am
Here is a stupid demo of Obsoleet.  It's insane, loud, and has some swearing.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOPP3U7Ravg  It's the only demo of it on Youtube, but shows random palette switching, after-effects and pane rotation/position changes.

The main point of this post is to share my palettes, not show off little insane self-indulgances.  ;/

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 12:54:42 pm
Looks like an earlier/other version of my 16pal with the pink and purple.

I've made a page for it here.

Would be interesting to see a collection of Bitmap Brothers' palettes, and their warm-cool-thing. Maybe also Paradroid for the Amiga, and The Killing Game show.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 01:33:22 pm
Purple is awesome.   :yell:

And streaksy the CPC palette has a couple errors.  Some have a value of 1 where it should be 0.  And the blue on the far right has a value of 0, 101, 202 when it should be 0, 127, 255.   Even given my immense amount of experience with the CPC palette (almost 30 years now) I'm still amazed I spotted the 'off-ness' of that blue on an image that has almost 2000 colors...
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Streaksy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 02:56:20 pm
Arne:

Ah, I'm guessing you didn't get the message then.  Cool, I'll bung that in if you don't mind, then.  Glad you're still active here because I'd have to take it out if I didn't get your permission and I rather like it.  I like the 8-colour set so I'll have one called Arne 16.

Carnivac:

You mean the Pirange sets?  :D  They're called that because the first one went through pink and orange.  I never had a CPC and was unfamiliar with the palette until I made this project and wanted some popular retro palettes.  Thanks for the info.  I'll fix it in after this post.  I think you have superpowers to spot that.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 03:24:58 pm
Carnivac:

You mean the Pirange sets?  :D

Well they're nice but my comment was actually aimed at Arne and their comment about purple in that linked article and the lousy reason (in my opinion) for not having purple in the final palette (not I care much for the rest of it...)   
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 09:03:25 pm
Great round-up, thanks :)

BBC Micro represent! I haven't seen much love for that here and it's a shame. Demo looks like a pretty accurate insight into my early exposure to game consoles :P, seriously though: the effects are pretty interesting and I was summarily amused watching after the other project you posted.

Amazing eye for the palette there Carnivac.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:34:36 pm by Facet »

Offline Streaksy

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 12:52:31 am
Hehe, thanks. >D   I've probably remade tons of BBC Micro games for my own ammusement over the years.  Especially Reptons.  By the way, I pitched some of those to Superior once too and they weren't having it.  I hope it's not liablous to suggest that a few ideas in mine MIGHT HAVE appeared in theirs.  ;/  I'm done with Superior.  Their last newsletter was basically "fill out these forms on these 8 affiliate links and get an iPod" or something.  Meh.

I just wish people with absolutely NO intention of releasing games would stop jealously hoarding the IPs so the people who actually love the games can have their niche market.

But yeah, I was raised on a BBC Micro.  :D

Offline Streaksy

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 01:26:25 am
Arne !!!

Just glanced through your site.  Not only are you a ridiculously good artist, I've actually seen some of your stuff before.  :O

I messed around remaking Mego-Lo-Mania about 2 years ago, and did a little googling to see if anyone else had.  I came accross your sprite concept art for it.  Was it on DeviantArt?  Can't remember.  Mad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_yG0eSSjZA  I didn't have sprites yet because I'm not really a graphics designer, but there it is.  ;/

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 07:52:37 pm
I guess some people just have a poor taste in colors, liking purple and stuff. It's a slippery slope down to halfbrite yellow, I tell you!

I've gotten quite a few mails about my palettes but I don't know who from, or who I replied to.

Mega lo Mania was great fun. I think I made it to the last map with 400-500 guys once (/10). It was cool how they carried over. It was one of the first games that I played which had cute little guys fighting with that fluidity and scale. Settlers cute chibi guys fighting too. But, neither game did a good job with combat mechanics. It was just a bunch of animations and guys dying. I always wanted the combat to make a little more sense. Nowadays RTS games are quite different of course.

Did you check out the Japanese version? It had some animé flair to the characters.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/mega-lo-mania/cover-art/gameCoverId,98912/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/mega-lo-mania/screenshots/gameShotId,159992/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/mega-lo-mania/screenshots/gameShotId,159991/
Our Madcap was better though. I was always Madcap.

Graphically, the biggest job would be to draw all the little guys animated from all the angles, all time periods, and factions.