AuthorTopic: Idea: spreadingsomepixelartmagicdetail challenge  (Read 3105 times)

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Idea: spreadingsomepixelartmagicdetail challenge

on: July 04, 2006, 09:52:04 am
I'm thinking about whether to post this or not, but as always I'm in a rush so I just post it and see what the replies will be like.

If you've been reading the topic about the 'future of pixel art', then you will notice the different arguments for and against the fact that pixel art will die out in videogames or in general. Now Adam's last post was really inspiring for this movement.
3D moves better, but it doesn't look better. It offers more flexibility and adapts to envirnoments more easily, but ultimately any single image being output by a 3D engine could probably be pixelled better by the hand of a talented artist. Pixelling isn't about mindless color and size restrictions, it's about squeezing the absolute most detail, style and meaning out of each pixel. And methodical, manual pixel manipulation always has the potential to look better than automated pixel output.

- Adam

This challenge is about really pushing the finest detail into a pixel art piece. I think it would be the best if we took a (part of a?) screenshot from a 3D game and choose a palette that differs from the colors in that screenshot and morph it into a detailed pixel art piece. Afterwards, if you had cut the piece out, you would put it back in so we can compare.

How does this idea sound? Too hard? Takes too much time?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 09:55:35 am by Lick »
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Idea: spreadingsomepixelartmagicdetail challenge

Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 10:30:31 am
to me, it sounds too technical...and well, too much like it is just to prove something...

I was going to further elaborate but I think there's no real need.

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 10:46:57 am
How about converting a popular 3d game into any pixelated 2d layout (rpg, top down strategy, sidescroller etc)..
for example:
oblivion -----> ultima6/7 layout/design
doom III  -----> sidescroller

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 11:23:58 am
Heh... I STILL really wanna do a Halo 2D... the idea's been in my head since before Halo 2 came out...

Anyway, yeah, I don't think working off screenshots is a good idea. Something based on a screenshot usually just ends up trying to mimic the screenshot as good as possible, and that's not very fun or.. interesting or anything.

Basically, what Conceit just said.
What kinda name is that anyway??

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 06:03:46 pm
i think something like this would be cool, id definitely be a challenge! we would definitely have to do it without color restriction, we would need every advatange we could have.