AuthorTopic: [WIP] Bedroom  (Read 4484 times)

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

[WIP] Bedroom

on: January 07, 2013, 04:52:31 am
Using Grimsane's warm 32 colour palette. Feedback about the perspective and lighting would be appreciated, the door in particular looks 'off' to me and I'm not quite sure why.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Bedroom

Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 06:13:30 am
This is pleasantly simple :) As far as lightning and perspective go, in this case the two are intertwined. Realistic lightning isn't as useful as using the lighting to help out with the perspective and define shapes. The main problem with the door in my opinion is the top mold isn't the same size as the sides. Also putting the door in a pixel will help a little bit I think.

Other than that, adding shadows can help pull some pieces away from the ground and give the room depth.

You also have some contrast issues with a few things(the game cartridges on the floor, for example). The position of the bed bugs me a bit, it may be better if it's cropped as though the closest wall is obscuring part of it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:15:10 am by Dusty »

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:14:18 am
Thanks for the feedback!

Is that what you were getting at in terms of cropping the bed?

The shadows definitely added some depth, but looking at it now, the shadows being cast by furniture seem to be inconsistent with shading on the surfaces of the furniture.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:10:58 am
where's the window ? we should have some hint about its presence, even if it's not currently a lightsource.
As far as the door is concerned, I'd propose some shadow effect suggesting that it's "in" the doorframe.

If that's meant to be for a point-n-click game scene, the overall size is fine, but many places feel very empty.
If this is just a composition, I'd advise to kill that empty place by moving the bed and clothes drawing closer to the other furnitures.

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 10:07:48 am

I tried suggesting some Venetian blinds, though I really don't like how they look.

As for the purpose of the piece, I'm toying with the idea of making a game where you play as a 25 year old, depressed, overweight, unemployed, uneducated loser for a year, and try to turn his life around. The state of the bedroom would reflect the protagonist's mental state; the more depressed he is, the filthier the room gets. There needs to be a fair amount of empty space in the room for empty pizza boxes, soda cans, dirty laundry, and bottles of urine to amass.

Edit:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:06:12 pm by DtFM »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:50:42 pm

I tried suggesting some Venetian blinds
Good move. You may want to have their hue mixing more with the material they light (i.e. yellow light on grey floor makes a different result from same light on dark-red fabric).

As for the purpose of the piece, I'm toying with the idea of making a game where you play as a 25 year old, depressed, overweight, unemployed, uneducated loser for a year, and try to turn his life around.
Interesting idea. It suggests you'll have to keep the room wide so that you can display sufficient amount of information (desk, bookshelf and such). Yet, the room may be oversized for the character you named (esp. if he lives alone). I'd be tempted to shrink the height of that image to move away from "comfy loft" look.

Oh, btw, I can't help thinking of that game being played indirectly (i.e. forcing some magazine to fall down in the street to catch some other NPC's attention) as if the depressed was a pet to care rather than an avatar. But I guess your mind is set on such gameplay directions already :P

Offline DtFM

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:33 pm

You were definitely right about shrinking the height.

I'm really having trouble with the computer case. I can't seem to find a way to make it readable and not look like shit.

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 11:52:57 pm
There is an issue with your actual version, is that it looks like you're lighting a little box full of toys.
Why the walls project a shadow ? If there is a roof, this can't happens in reality. Also, your desk and
your TV are too far from the wall if you draw the backface. Anyway, you did the classic error : draw
pretty pixel art objects without thinking about lighting, feeling, composition…

Is this room hot ? cold ? Does it belongs to a child or an adult ? Why is it so big ? Why is it so empty ?
Is it winter ? Summer ? Dawn or dusk ? Afternoon ? Is there some light from the roof ? Is it first stair
or upstair ? What's the view outside ? (maybe you can see a tree shadow coming from the window's light),
etc…

Food for thought :

WIP :
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 11:56:53 pm by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Siapran

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:08:00 pm
have you tried lighting a bit the inside of the TV shelf?