AuthorTopic: New here and in Pixel art aswell.  (Read 13382 times)

Offline odedrt9

• View Profile

Re: New here and in Pixel art aswell.

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 06:27:28 am

Okay, so I added darker shadows/ lighter hues. I don't think the vector look fits, but it's up to you.

Ok Ill add some lighter and draker shadows.
But Im not sure that the dithering in the "other side" leaves is neccessery because there are parts that kinda look weird..
And what did you mean by "I don't think the vector look fits"? What vector?

Edit:

I updated the main post with the newest versions and banana less version xD
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:32:29 pm by odedrt9 »

Offline Blackhawk22

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 08:41:07 pm
@odedrt9 You're right the dithering didn't fit, it was just a fast edit though. Your palm tree did not have much detail like the vector palm tree. That's all I was saying, just an opinion.

Offline odedrt9

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 08:49:41 pm
@odedrt9 You're right the dithering didn't fit, it was just a fast edit though. Your palm tree did not have much detail like the vector palm tree. That's all I was saying, just an opinion.

Your right that its kinda empty so I did another try:

Its not finished yet Ill work on it more tommorow.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 12:09:22 pm
ok!

I'm gonna go back a bit. First of all, having a reference can be helpful and all, however going straight off it it's not always a good thing, especially when it's cartoony like this piece.

The problem here is the translation to pixelart, It gets very weird.

Now if you want to do it straight off anyway there are a cupple of things you need to think about.

The outlines around the tree make less use in this format. The only purpose it serves right now is to make it look sharp and edgy, not in a good way and far from the original reference. It's ofc achieveable, but it would take plenty a colours for AA, which is just not needed. Also when you are using outlines like this, you don't want to put them "inside" the sprite. Like, between the bright piece of leaves and the dark parts, there is already a contrast which is not needed to show further, same goes for the trunk.

And it looking empty is not a problem

I made a very sloppy edit to show you this:

I also made a version so you might compare this to something, I'm sure there will be plenty of Palmtrees around the forums aswell.

Jad made this edit of one of jedzeds art:

Keep it up and good luck!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:11:54 pm by coffee »

Offline odedrt9

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 12:40:39 pm
ok!

I'm gonna go back a bit. First of all, having a reference can be helpful and all, however going straight off it it's not always a good thing, especially when it's cartoony like this piece.

The problem here is the translation to pixelart, It gets very weird.

Now if you want to do it straight off anyway there are a cupple of things you need to think about.

The outlines around the tree make less use in this format. The only purpose it serves right now is to make it look sharp and edgy, not in a good way and far from the original reference. It's ofc achieveable, but it would take plenty a colours for AA, which is just not needed. Also when you are using outlines like this, you don't want to put them "inside" the sprite. Like, between the bright piece of leaves and the dark parts, there is already a contrast which is not needed to show further, same goes for the trunk.

And it looking empty is not a problem

I made a very sloppy edit to show you this:

I also made a version so you might compare this to something, I'm sure there will be plenty of Palmtrees around the forums aswell.

Jad made this edit of one of jedzeds art:

Keep it up and good luck!

First of all thanks for the critique.
Now, I understand the "inside" outlines and to be honset I always did it that way and nobody told me that its wrong/not usefull. Ill try to make another version with the suggestions you gave me and Ill post it here.

Edit:
Here I did something like you said(at least I think that its what you meant)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:27:55 pm by odedrt9 »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 08:18:12 pm
Dont get me wrong, outlines is good, when you know when to apply it.

This looks a lot better! However, I would still get rid of the stripes on the leaves.

:y:

Offline odedrt9

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 19, 2013, 06:19:30 am
Dont get me wrong, outlines is good, when you know when to apply it.

This looks a lot better! However, I would still get rid of the stripes on the leaves.

:y:

Well thanks xD
But what should I put if not the stripes? Banana leaves have stripes..
See:

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #17 on: January 19, 2013, 06:43:33 am
I think you should rather put an overall light-shape, and at the edges of that -imply- some lines. Surface texture comes out the best at the edges of shadows and highlights, after all.
Uniform lines flatten the leaves and make them look fabric-like.

I attempted a fix of some kind on the front leaf, by adding a higher contrast shine. It might be too shiny.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline odedrt9

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 05:11:04 am
I think you should rather put an overall light-shape, and at the edges of that -imply- some lines. Surface texture comes out the best at the edges of shadows and highlights, after all.
Uniform lines flatten the leaves and make them look fabric-like.

I attempted a fix of some kind on the front leaf, by adding a higher contrast shine. It might be too shiny.

Sorry for the late reply...
Thx Ill try to make another version like you said.