AuthorTopic: Red Moon Rising  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Red Moon Rising

on: January 01, 2013, 07:50:14 pm
I started this as a fun object at the beginning of October and it was intended for helloween 2012. Because of some real-life and work incidents I hadn't any time to work further on it and as I had time again I moved on with my art and remarked by far too much places where it would have needed more work and thoughts right from the beginning. Actually this piece is unfinished, nowhere completely polished and at some places still heavily WIP. So judge the big parts.

However, the motivation got lost long time ago and I am not in the mood to spend more time with this to finish it just for the sake of finishing. Although I won't edit in the things you point out, your critique helps me to be aware of some issues I weren't aware of before in my further work.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:07:24 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Red Moon Rising

Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 09:36:20 pm
Yello,

the main issues I see are to do with anatomy and pose. Did you try the pose out for yourself before you began drawing?

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 09:45:34 pm
Great work, in general. :)

I second ErekT's anatomy/pose critique. Also while not necessarily wrong, her hips are awfully narrow compared to her shoulders.

The fur on the werewolf might look better if you used more simplified clumps instead of rendering each individual strand.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 09:50:46 pm
I see her sword literally dripping blood, but no wound on the werewolf.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:30:25 am
I see her sword literally dripping blood, but no wound on the werewolf.
I don't see blood, only reflections of red from the moon or her hair.

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 09:16:34 pm
I'm a bit confused by the pinkish nipple on the werewolf, but it might be the lighting. Or?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 10:44:37 pm
I'm reading all these one-line critiques and it feels kind of weird. Not that people are wrong, sure all these things are there. The anatomy critique baffles me, though. It's a different bodytype, I think. But I'm not going to post a contradictory crit post, it doesn't matter. The artist will make up their own mind.

What I wanted to say, first of all, is a big congratulations. It takes a lot of guts to try such a big piece and much skill to make it to where you did. This has more technique to it than most demoscene pictures and there's stuff I absolutely love about it. Good work. Impressive and inspiring, Cyangmou.

Were people too numb by the display to acknowledge what an undertaking such a picture is?

Here's critique:

I am impressed with the blur you achieved on the moon. I am not impressed with the half-assed waves in the sky around it. The picture would become immediately better with taking these off. In fact,

Sloppy as hell but immediately less kitschy.

My next suggestion would be hard projected shadows from the two bodies on the floor. Great work on the dress details, but if you do that and you don't add the same details everywhere you get less Roccoco and more Romance Novel Cover as a mood.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 11:16:37 pm
The waves and the moon do not match together, possibly due to the blur..
But removing them removes a lot of atmosphere from the piece, it also looks really empty and harsh with the black sky.

And a thing that instantly jumps out at me is the cleavage and the unnecessarily harsh line between corset and skin.
Perhaps it's also due to how the skin is highlighted and the cloth is not, makes it look pasted in.

This is a really fantastic piece though! :)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 11:55:39 pm
I wouldn't write off ErekT's critique as "just a different body type" although he did make some unnecessary changes to physique. He addressed the ribcage-to-waist ratio, which I also thought was too extreme, but he took it to far in the other direction IMO. Also, ErekT's legs look like there're spread at an angle that would provide better support. Lastly, upon further inspection, I think the torso of the original was too long and ErekT addressed by raising the underside of the thigh.

I like Cyangmou's original sky much more than Helm's edit. It looks like the moon is emitting some kind of "lunar energy" off of which the werewolf might feed.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 01:02:38 am
The anatomy critique baffles me, though. It's a different bodytype, I think.

My edit is by no means a poster example for naturalistic female builds :P But the body build wasn't what I intended to critique anyway. I hoped to point out some wonkiness in anatomy, like the right arm and inconsistent dimensions, as well as a problematic pose. The way she sits right now, ass suspended in mid-air, left foot flat on the ground, and only the toes(forefoot?) of the right foot touching ground, looks super-strained to me.

Were people too numb by the display to acknowledge what an undertaking such a picture is?

I always got a pretty strong vibe around here that we should keep things critique-focused, leave praise for the pixeljoint gallery and so on. But if I got that wrong I'll be happy to give more praise in my posts. This is an impressive piece for sure, and there's a lot of stuff I dig about it too. The colors, shading technique and general composition are all very very good.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:37:59 am by ErekT »