AuthorTopic: Second Cluster Study - Knights of the Round  (Read 36299 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Second Cluster Study - Knights of the Round

Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 01:01:01 am
Had no time today for that. I just do some photoshop fudge. I can go throught it when I post the stuff I guess.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 06:01:31 am
I did another one.  This time I tried using the pallete from the other cluster study sprite, but added a few more too.  I think its 12 colors total

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 11:50:45 am
Had myself a second go. The fleshy colors looked pretty drab so I tried to make em more interesting. Less colors means more interesting colors usually I feel, so ended up bumping down the palette to 10+trans from the earlier 14+trans. Added more contrast to the legs too.

So many great edits posted, lots of stuff to learn :) I'm tempted to make a completely fresh one now.

-> ->

EDIT: Er, he needs a nose I guess.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:43:32 pm by ErekT »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 03:53:05 pm
CHECK ORIGINAL POST FOR SCANLINE LINK!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:48:36 pm by ptoing »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 06:44:04 pm
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:13 pm
wow guys check out what I found

full size painting

Doesnt the guy to the right of the painting look a lot like our Arthur?

Turns out it comes from a bunch of illustrations by N.C Wyeth for a book called "Boy's King Arthur"

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Boys_King_Arthur_-_N._C._Wyeth_-_p162.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Boys_King_Arthur_-_N._C._Wyeth_-_p130.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/Boys_King_Arthur_-_N._C._Wyeth_-_p4.jpg

These all have a weirdly sidescroller perspective and a pretty similar atmosphere to the game. I think these are pretty good basis to give a painterly Arthur sprite a try for anyone who wants to :p

Here's the full collection of illustrations from the book.
http://animationresources.org/?p=6438
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&profile=default&search=boy%27s+king+arthur+wyeth&fulltext=Search

EDIT: Here's some more NC Wyeth stuff
https://pinterest.com/arthuritis/artist-n-c-wyeth/
https://secure.flickr.com/groups/wyethfamilyartist/pool/with/1929922013/
Man this thread launched me into researching arthurian art and history...fun fun fun
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 06:51:31 am by Conceit »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 12:07:43 am
Alright, let's talk, now that Sven has kindly provided a scanline version of all the edits.

My own edit: It's very interesting what scanlining does to highlights in this edit. My AAed shapes turn much softer, the end result is washed. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it immediately becomes apparent that harder edges for clusters is the way to go. I am surprised at how the scanlines gave my character a mouth, but it's not reliable because the sprite would move up and down and the scanlines would shift. The huse shifts are relatively successful, if anything the wash of the filtering helpts them blend. The least successful part of the edit is the red flap over his groin. The green blobs I introduced do nothing for it and nearly in every edit that area looks much better. I am happy with how the filtering treats the darker areas and especially the re-introduced outlines here and there. The second worst cluster in my edit is the highlight in the shoulderpad, which got segmented terribly and is clearly too strong, or just needed a different shape.

Long's edit: This is a conservative edit that achieves at what it sets out to do. it introduces better light/dark balance and removes some senseless linework in the original (as in the red flap area). Long has better sense than I (and most others in their edits!) to keep those two pixels of index finger in the supporting arm holding the sword, as they add a lot, even if they make the grip look less sure. However the primary arm grip is not a cluster situation that is solved in this edit. Many others try, few get it right. The lined up highlights on the face do not work to the benefit of the sprite.

Dennis' edit: The shoulder pad sadly looks like it's in front of the face, though I like the decorative idea. The chain-mail works remarkably well. The primary hand holding the sword is mushy as hell, though. Unfortunately, the groin edit, though good as a drape study, makes him look as if he has no pelvis and a tiny waist. More work could be done on the boots, more contrast.

Cure's edit: Super-solid, dark and very easy to read. One of my favourites. Better sword guard, too. Face could have used more work, I feel. Very few people gave him an actual face, which was interesting. I like how together this edit looks, like the artist has a clear way to get from a to b. The bicep is a bit bloaty, though. I like the frayed edges of the flap. I disagree with the outline on the sword, I think.

St0ven's edit: Another favourite. Best red flap, very nice idea with the fabric ripple, adds a lot of dynamic flow. The clusters here are delicious. The highlight on his left thigh might be too square there, though. His right arm holding the sword could be darkened to improve depth. This edit is the newest looking one of the bunch, great confidence in *shapes*, not *details*. Wonderful boots, too. The face lacks character, perhaps?

Erekt's edit is top-darker, which is a bit strange. The tapering of the round ends of the gloves and the red flap does not help the sprite's flow. The looser tunic over the belt is a nice touch, with a pretty highlight after filtering. Angular arm holding the sword also seems to curve outwards as the red flap edge. Is this a pattern in your art, Erekt? Pants and legs could have used more love, to make the sprite cohere. Erekt could study Cure's edit.

Dennis' second edit: The yellower highlight was a double-edged sword. Contrast reads better, but the finish now is kind of golden, confuses the materials. Primary arm less mushy for sure.

Reo's edit is very dark and comic book-like. It would work in a different game. I look at this and think on how the scanlines at an interesting texture that helps sprites like this, low-dynamic range and dark. Someone could do something with this effect. Wonderful draping and form on his left thigh here. Black sure is powerful.

Ptoing's edit: Check out how the light on the top of the legs in this edit is kind of bloomy. Interesting effect, but in no service to the sharpness of the sprite. Too soft, in general, but very clear to read still. Primary hand seems to have two index fingers. A single pixel edit could balance that. I like the face of this sprite. Baseball bat could use less texture detail and more volume work.

Tim's edit is pretty, but it belongs to a different game. Very interesting however, is what the filtering did to this sprite. I am not sure what happened to segment it so harshly. Thoughts? I otherwise enjoy the light passing through the red flap fabric. I am not sure if that's a practical axe!

Rest tomorrow.

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:05 am

Tim's edit is pretty, but it belongs to a different game. Very interesting however, is what the filtering did to this sprite. I am not sure what happened to segment it so harshly. Thoughts? I otherwise enjoy the light passing through the red flap fabric. I am not sure if that's a practical axe!

I agree with you on almost all points you made.
About the filtering, it's due to two things in my opinion :

• My sprite is a lot more contrasted than other, and the lit parts are very thin. I assume the lines cut the sprite much stronger because of this.

• I also added some horizontal texture on the leather, the pants, and the axe is also horizontally blund. Unfortunately I didn't expect this at all and it looks pretty bad actually in my opinion. I might try to redo it later.

About the practicality of the axe, I agree. I made it for the pleasure of creating an irregular object rather than a perfectly straight sword.

Otherwise, I F***ING love Stoven's sprite.
It almost looks like a reduced CG character, very impressive lighting and shapes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:30:43 am by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: January 05, 2013, 01:23:12 am
Helm, one these games scanlines are reliable. It is not interlace or anything. The scanlines stay as they are. So the mouth thing would work fine.

Also I agree on your crits on my sprite. It looks considerably softer with the scanlines and blur in places. And the 2 index fingers thing also gets pronounced because of the scanlines. Interesting to see the changes to the look in general to all of these.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #39 on: January 05, 2013, 01:32:12 am
geeze it has been ages since I've posted here.

curious to see what the scanlines'd-ness does to it.