AuthorTopic: Santa Sprite  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Santa Sprite

on: December 30, 2012, 10:40:40 pm
I've decided that until I start work again in 2013, I'd try and do small sprites and random stuff. I'm still in a Christmas mood, so I made this Little Santa  :)

Anything look odd? If not, I might start working on tiles and turn this slowly into a mockup.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Re: Santa Sprite

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:20:18 am
It's pretty cool!
What first stands out to me though is that the feet are very small, maybe excessively so. Also, they're positioned in such a way that he looks a bit hunched over.

I'm guessing you want to stick with that sprite size, and the rest of the body is good enough that it'd be a shame to morph it to make room for bigger feet. Maybe it'll look alright if you just make them wider, adding some extra weight to the sprite in the process.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 05:35:28 am
I'm gonna disagree with Charlieton about the feet being too small, I think they look fine for the style. He is right about it looking hunched though, maybe move the head back a few pixels and the feet more inward? It could also be that the shoulders are too far forward relative to his feet, especially his left.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 09:44:39 am
->

I've moved the head and shoulder. I tried to bring the feet in, but couldn't get it to look right. So I tried the opposite, you can be the judge of whether  it looks right or not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 09:46:35 am by Jim16 »

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 02:25:38 pm

Quick edit on his arm. I think at this angle only the forearm would be visible. Not sure how you'd handle the cuff though, on my edit it seems to be a bit too thin. I also moved the hand up a pixel to be level with the other, considering his feet are level. I do think the wider stance works, it balances him out a bit more.

What kind of environment were you thinking for the mockup? I'd love to see him jumping on giant presents. :D
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 04:15:44 pm
I messed around with the face somewhat. The main focus was to try and get rid of some banding around the nose/between the eyes (it's still not completely free from it). Then I just kept going with the face, 'cuz it's a fun sprite.

Take from it what you want. :-[

Yes, the wider stance works well. It gives balance, as Regulus wrote.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:18:54 pm by Charlieton »
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 11:59:51 pm
Thanks for the edits guys. I'll take a closer look in the morning, and also post what I've worked on since my last post. It actually does involve
I'd love to see him jumping on giant presents
. Although I'm just winging it  :crazy:

Charlieton, thanks that's a good edit, I wouldn't have caught the banding.

Regulus Awesome, I think the arms still not right though. I'll play around with it a bit more. Something bound to work.

Edit: oh, And happy new year guys and gals.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 05:06:57 pm
Minor progress, I'm not sure I like where this is going. I might start over.