AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014  (Read 168872 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014

Reply #420 on: July 23, 2014, 03:21:12 pm
Choose the project you can actually finish.
You'll feel best about completing something, rather than slowly chipping away at something that doesn't have a clear completion ETA.
Large scale projects are risky. Sometimes they never get finished.

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• Hobbist Animator + Apprentice Falconer
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #421 on: July 23, 2014, 03:27:45 pm
Yeah, I know that feeling. I've started dozens of stories and only one got finished (I recently found it in my room... it was horrid and I never want to see that again). I'd like to someday publish this one though. I'm kind of messing with my dog drawing now, though, because I do want to finish it, and I probably can this week.
Its just a pity that driving school takes up my entire afternoon and I haven't gotten to work on much of anything for the past three weeks. Thank goodness its over on Friday... Then summer band starts on Wednesday and goes for the entire month of August. This summer break has gone by too fast.

Unsure if I'm allowed to post wips here but
Any critique so far? I wanted to go for a GSD with a healthy stance rather than the more curved stance that they have now due to overbreeding.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:29:16 pm by LarkoftheRiver »

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #422 on: July 23, 2014, 03:44:02 pm
I've started dozens of stories and only one got finished (I recently found it in my room... it was horrid and I never want to see that again).
Learn to love your finished projects! Even the shitty ones, they define yourself and even if it's by mistake, you learn alot with them. Especially the finished ones, they are something rare you should be proud of!

Anyway, I'd say go with what gives you the best sense of accomplishment/progress.
None of those seems to be urgent, right? I mean you can always draw/write later when you're back, you don't have a deadline?

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #423 on: July 23, 2014, 03:49:32 pm
i learned that i was a wolfaboo in the seventh grade and want to slap myself does that count
I'm shocked that it got finished, of course it was a series and I only finished the first book but.. I finished it! My friend who was the co-writer wants me to burn it, but I've been too lazy to do so. Besides, might need it later? Maybe? Anyway I'm not getting rid of it so fast.

No, for now. I'm just doing everything for fun now. Maybe after I get it published.. I'm still trying to decide how to go about that. I was thinking about using Amazon's self publishing for the kindle and charging like.. $1.99 or something for the book.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #424 on: August 01, 2014, 07:18:24 am
Hey guys remember the "goblins of the games industry" thread? Found this article interesting about one guy quitting his job and opening his own game studio and calculating the cost:
http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/31/5949433/the-cost-of-a-game-studio

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #425 on: August 09, 2014, 09:45:55 pm
We've been worked very hard in summer band so far, but I can't help but enjoy it. Luckily, we're at least a month ahead of last year, and we might even start learning the contest drill before the school year starts. Its only been two weeks and we've already learned techniques that it took the entire month to cover. The director from last year quit and the new one knows how to teach marching. Its been very fun but I've had no time for art or my new story! Oh well, I enjoy band. I'm hoping for a great contest show. Last year's was a nightmare because we were behind in learning it and it wasn't very good to begin with. But the music this year is so cool and I'm hoping the marching is too!

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #426 on: August 27, 2014, 09:42:16 pm
Anybody SMS knowledgable?
Looking at a lot of SMS games they seem to use far fewer colours per tile then they often should/need to.
Some such seem to limit many tiles to four colours. Is it common to store tiles as 2-bit to make more efficient use of expensive ROM?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #427 on: August 30, 2014, 12:08:51 am
Stumbled on this through imgur: http://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/2ey1pw/last_night_i_wrote_a_processing_script_that/

They ran some code that calculates the usage percentage for each color in the palettes usage in Pokemon sprites, like so:

Not really all that useful as far as information goes, but I thought it was interesting.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:10:57 am by Dusty »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #428 on: August 30, 2014, 01:23:48 pm
Kinda interesting to compare the color usage between evolutions.
It's also interesting to note that the "face colors" tend to go to the right, because of the small quantities of unique colors.
A guessing game would be fun, but I think it would become near-impossible with the full 2014 roster :lol:
(A game where you squash pokemon into colored blobs also sounds like fun :hehe:)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:28:34 pm by YellowLime »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #429 on: August 30, 2014, 02:34:20 pm
Yeah I saw that too, Dusty.  (I lurk all day!)

Is there a way for anyone else to use the script?