AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014  (Read 170673 times)

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014

Reply #380 on: May 13, 2014, 09:16:32 am
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #381 on: May 13, 2014, 08:11:18 pm
In case you missed it, KERO BLASTER! got released today!

Guess I need to get money, huh.
Any word on handheld release, like 3DS or something?

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #382 on: May 18, 2014, 01:57:02 pm
I just realized that GraphicsGale is still being updated regularly.
Last time I downloaded it was in 2011.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #383 on: May 18, 2014, 05:30:32 pm
In case you missed it, KERO BLASTER! got released today!

Really nice fun little game, enjoyed it a lot.  Not really what I was expecting though (it's very linear, not much in the way of exploration or secrets), and quite short, but definitely worth getting. 

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #384 on: May 18, 2014, 09:14:05 pm
Yeah! It is indeed short, but not to it's detriment. It feels like a distilled version of Cave Story, without the running errands back-and-forth (though even Cave Story becomes quite linear after the first couple of zones). Anyway, I got some quality time out of it, regardless of expectations.

There are some secrets!
Did you get to the replay as yellow frog with all the weapons and jetpack?
After the credits have rolled, press the shoot or jump buttons (4 presses I think was sufficient)
(I don't know if there are any special prerequisites for this to happen, such as having upgraded all the weapons or something like that)
A guy shows up (weapon salesman?) and asks if you were satisfied with the playthrough
Pick "no" and you get sent back to the beginning of the game as the yellow frog

Having all the equipment from the start gives you access to some hidden areas
Game continues after the spot where the last boss should've been

Though I have a feeling there's more that I haven't found yet.

@Ellian: iPhone is the only other format it's out on, as of yet. But you've probably found this out by yourself by now, ha.
I also hadn't realized there were newer versions of Gale! Never felt the need to check since it already did what I needed it for well enough.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #385 on: May 18, 2014, 09:39:46 pm
@Ellian: iPhone is the only other format it's out on, as of yet. But you've probably found this out by yourself by now, ha.
I also hadn't realized there were newer versions of Gale! Never felt the need to check since it already did what I needed it for well enough.
Indeed ahah; I'll wait to see if they release it on handheld or something :3

As for GraphicsGales... woah, the way the tool windows snap to the software is way better, and there's a HISTORY TOOL NOW.
Geez how could I miss all that...

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #386 on: May 18, 2014, 10:13:18 pm
Yeah! It is indeed short, but not to it's detriment. It feels like a distilled version of Cave Story, without the running errands back-and-forth (though even Cave Story becomes quite linear after the first couple of zones). Anyway, I got some quality time out of it, regardless of expectations.

There are some secrets!
Did you get to the replay as yellow frog with all the weapons and jetpack?
After the credits have rolled, press the shoot or jump buttons (4 presses I think was sufficient)
(I don't know if there are any special prerequisites for this to happen, such as having upgraded all the weapons or something like that)
A guy shows up (weapon salesman?) and asks if you were satisfied with the playthrough
Pick "no" and you get sent back to the beginning of the game as the yellow frog

Having all the equipment from the start gives you access to some hidden areas
Game continues after the spot where the last boss should've been

Though I have a feeling there's more that I haven't found yet.

I did get to that, yes! I assumed everyone got that, didn't realise you had to do something particular for it. 

I thought I'd messed up by pressing 'No' as he took all my money, haha. Is there any real difference, or is it just a total replay besides being yellow?

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #387 on: May 18, 2014, 11:44:42 pm
I did get to that, yes! I assumed everyone got that, didn't realise you had to do something particular for it. 
I thought I'd messed up by pressing 'No' as he took all my money, haha. Is there any real difference, or is it just a total replay besides being yellow?

I guess it's pretty hard to miss, yeah! But:
If you pick "yes" he just goes "Good!" and the game ends right there! No replay, but he adds "feel free to play some more!" or something. Funny
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #388 on: May 22, 2014, 03:04:45 am
Study says people react better to changing their sense of self than to fact correction

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/mariakonnikova/2014/05/why-do-people-persist-in-believing-things-that-just-arent-true.html?utm_source=www&utm_medium=tw&utm_campaign=20140519

I guess the C&C we do is a bit like fact checking so I thought I'd share =) plus SCIENCE!

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #389 on: May 30, 2014, 01:56:44 am
been a while since I've been here but I've started on a preemptive Gesamtkunstwerk, or total art piece where I'm writing the music and then an abstract/minimalist animated piece to go with!  Probably going to collaborate with someone more inclined to visual art to collab on the animation, but I have a large part of it thought out so far

https://soundcloud.com/theashbad/the-emperor-of-oaks-movement-1

https://soundcloud.com/theashbad/preview-the-emperor-of-oaks-movement-2 (work in progress)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:39:04 am by Ashbad »