AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014  (Read 168918 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014

Reply #370 on: April 14, 2014, 09:16:13 pm
Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. I'm glad to see you've thought it all through and even from the early gif capture video it feels solid and chunky. Good call on the no instant sprite flipping too.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #371 on: April 15, 2014, 02:03:26 am
Hey restriction knowledgable types:
Does the GBC have a NES-style sttribute table for palette per 2x2 tile block?
I always thought it did, but looking at some Shantae screens that doesn't seem to be the case, though they could possibly be using sprites.

No, it does not have those restrictions. Colour map is 1x1.

And yeah, that Robocop stuff looks pretty cool, the slow turning makes it feel true to how he moves in the films. Good stuff.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #372 on: April 15, 2014, 07:51:13 am
Yeah the turning is a smidge off in the video (legs weren't quite aligned properly in placed) but yeah if you noticed I have his head sprite turn first and then the body follows like he does in the films (sometimes in the films his body turns before his head does... but rarely do both turn together).

Anyways glad you like.   Am still working hard on it.  Plotted the basic shapes of the ED-209 last night to get his size and scale right and figuring out memory-saving ways of animating it (like static top half and animated legs) but also gameplay stuff.  Two tank-like objects blasting at each other both losing energy til one explodes isn't really much fun (at the end of level 1 in the arcade game I think it's more a case of "hey cool it's ED-209!" rather than "hey what a fun and challenging boss encounter this is").  I think for the first encounter in this game I'll have it inspired by the first movie where Robo is disarmed and damaged and trying to escape ED.  Could have it so that ED is stomping and shooting after Robo and you're having to just get him out of there and slow down the ED-209 by hitting switches by doorways to slam down heavy doors to slow ED down before it shoots them or slam down on ED himself to stun him so you can walk back and give him a quick punch or two before he recovers.   Stuff like that.  At least on the first time. 
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #373 on: April 19, 2014, 10:22:04 am
Met up with Kasumi last night and played smash bros, was really fun. This makes me curious, any other pixelation people near Philadelphia?

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #374 on: April 21, 2014, 07:17:12 am
Spent the long weekend on my umpteenth attempt at a pixel editor:

So far it's just an image/palette viewer.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #375 on: April 25, 2014, 05:06:43 pm
Have you guys checked out the CGhub replacement site, artstation? It's in beta but I have invites if anyone wants to try it out. Not really pixel art related but I know a lot of you guys do suff in different mediums. (You could probably use it as a pixel portfolio site as well.)

http://www.artstation.com/

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #376 on: April 26, 2014, 07:59:07 am

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #377 on: April 28, 2014, 09:48:54 pm
It's the day I brag about stuff I made!
Here is my Ludum Dare entry, Where Is My Bone?;D

I feel super proud.

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #378 on: May 04, 2014, 05:57:01 am
Have a neat example of NES being stupid with its 8x8 pixel tiles, and its 16x16 pixel palette boundaries:

Particularly noticeable on the top row. Any palette region of a different palette than the textbox has its top half colored wrong after it appears because the textbox's top position is divisible by 8, but not 16.

(These are for dialogue boxes appearing/disappearing. Drew them over "random" colored blocks to make absolutely sure it restored the level underneath properly. I'd try to align it so this was less noticeable during the actual cutscenes, heh.)

Edit: Oh wow, just played your game Ellian. Hehehe, I guess I'm not spoiling. But uh... cute?
Edit2: Actually, one more thing. It's possible to stand in the air by walking off a ledge, then holding the direction toward the ledge: http://i.imgur.com/R2CMNd3.png

I always feel weird about pointing out bugs in ludum dare games because of the small development time, but eh. Worth a mention if you ever decide to expand it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 06:51:27 am by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #379 on: May 11, 2014, 07:48:41 pm
In case you missed it, KERO BLASTER! got released today!
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag