AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014  (Read 168944 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014

Reply #350 on: March 31, 2014, 08:17:16 am
Damn, that's some sweet stuff. Does a great job of hiding the hardware limitations for the most part.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #351 on: March 31, 2014, 11:56:07 am
Wow - really like that, shame it's not playable.  Been playing my NES a lot over the weekend, coincidently.   ;D

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #352 on: April 10, 2014, 02:40:05 am
figured you guys would be interested in this dev's site, some really awesome stuff there, so many canceled projects that had such high potential and passion  :(
this amiga game in particular will hopefully pique your interest  ;D
http://francksauer.com/index.php/component/content/article/15-games/published-games/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10:agony&catid=15:published-games

ALSO SOME CRAZY AWESOME NEWS FOR OUTCAST FANS  :D
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outcast-reboot-hd/outcast-reboot-hd
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:57:28 pm by Grimsane »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #353 on: April 10, 2014, 07:42:22 am
peak

The correct word in this context would be "pique".
Sorry.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #354 on: April 10, 2014, 02:57:53 pm
 :ouch: haha thanks crow

Offline DerZocker

• View Profile
    • my dA

Reply #355 on: April 10, 2014, 03:42:52 pm
figured you guys would be interested in this dev's site, some really awesome stuff there, so many canceled projects that had such high potential and passion  :(
this amiga game in particular will hopefully pique your interest  ;D
http://francksauer.com/index.php/component/content/article/15-games/published-games/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10:agony&catid=15:published-games
Damn, this is some incredibly amazing pixelart. Also interesting that he used some of the tricks I use so many years ago, like pixeling over 3d models an pictures. Very inspirational! Also I've never seen such beatiful animated water ever before

Offline SriK

• View Profile
    • Sri Kankanahalli's Portfolio

Reply #356 on: April 11, 2014, 07:28:42 pm
You guys like pixel art, right? And NES?

Here's some good NES pixel art from a Castlevania II hack that will probably never see the light of day:

Much more here.

Special thanks to seven on nesdev for digging this stuff up. These tended to always be things I would mention when asked about good NES graphics, but I've never had 1:1 versions of them until now. Enjoy!

Wow, that's the most awesome thing I've seen all day. The level of detail in the screenshots is mindboggling to me given the system limitations (especially this shot), looks better than even a lot of late generation NES/FC games.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #357 on: April 12, 2014, 01:06:06 am
Hey restriction knowledgable types:
Does the GBC have a NES-style sttribute table for palette per 2x2 tile block?
I always thought it did, but looking at some Shantae screens that doesn't seem to be the case, though they could possibly be using sprites.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #358 on: April 13, 2014, 06:14:46 pm
EDIT: I could have sworn I put this in the OT Creativity thread... I had both topics open in tabs but I really thought I put this in the creativity one just after I signed in.  Sorry.

hope everyone is ok.

i been working on turning that old Amstrad CPC-style RoboCop mock up into a real working game (first on PC and then with a CPC coder's help onto the real original 8-bit Amstrad CPC hardware).  Here are some cropped samples from it.

And here's a couple photos of where I ported screenshots of it to my real Amstrad CPC 464 and it's CRT monitor to check it's looking ok.

Thanks to the constraints 16 colours, wide pixel resolution and trying to hopefully get it running with a 128k machine in mind this may become my first actual finished project.  Which is nice.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 06:24:19 pm by Carnivac »
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #359 on: April 13, 2014, 08:11:39 pm
I know it's your thing but man I really don't like that scanline treatment.

I've been following your project on tumblr tho, looking super amazing - coincidently watched a youtube video comparing all the ports of the original Robocop game last night too, needless to say, yours is looking miles away from any of the official ports. 

One scene that really impressed me in the arcade version (as I'd only played the ST version previously where it's omitted), is how they showed the edge of the buildings here:
.  (Guess you can't do that exactly with the angle you've gone for and not making suggestions, just something I thought looked cool!)