AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014  (Read 168894 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014

Reply #340 on: February 20, 2014, 06:40:36 pm
racism?

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #341 on: February 28, 2014, 05:43:38 pm
Hey guys! been awhile, haven't had net since late last year, got it on recently.

Figured I'd throw up some personal news; Moved into a new place with my dad in the capacity of carer (luckily for me the government here supports full time carer's financially, as an alternative to public facilities taking the cost and capacity (the public health system here has extreme overcrowding), so atleast I have one less thing to worry about), dad's been exhibiting stroke symptom's which is stressing me out, he needs to be hospitalized to do a full series of tests, fingers crossed it's not serious...
 I also ditched all bar one subject of my college course, one thing to mention though is my dad's an avid gamer so that is just encouraging me to push game development even more so. As it's one of the only things that has comforted and kept him busy over the years (long term disability) uhm yeah that's about it really, been hectic.. also that brings the tally of moving places to 4 times in 2 years :blind:.

The forum community looks like it's bustling with life! ;D awesome to see, loads of creativity abound, AND I managed to frickin miss secret santa again too  :'( been wanting to participate for the last few but circumstances haven't been favourable. 3rd times the charm this year? :D

so what's up in planet pixel? anybody been upto anything exciting?

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #342 on: March 05, 2014, 02:17:02 am
Not really related to the thread directly, but I was thinking. Does anyone know what happened to Eyecraft? He was a cool guy to chat with and a great artist. I'd love to see what he's up to these days if anyone knows.

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #343 on: March 05, 2014, 02:09:14 pm
2013 was pretty epic, but this next one seems more promising, everything-wise.

World travel/nomad life on backpacks with the love of my life, a Cintiq freaking companion,  plus sustaining it by working fully on a rich on pixel art game set to release on mid 2014, with me as lead pixel artist. And at the same time preparing concepts and design docs for a steampunk SRPG of my own that I'll go fully into in late 2014-2015.

I'll be around Ireland until summer, then it'll be time to head to the US for Nevada (Burning man). It'll be one crazy year.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #344 on: March 06, 2014, 04:42:58 pm
congratz on the good fortune Vandal, that sounds epic indeed  ;D

got any promo art or screenshots for this pixel art game?

Offline Pizzaface2000

• View Profile

Reply #345 on: March 18, 2014, 04:39:29 pm

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #346 on: March 23, 2014, 07:27:36 am
Feels good to be back on a browser that supports Nearest Neighbor.

The new Firefox beta is great. (download url) I stopped using firefox when chrome came out because it was a memory hog but it seems like the two have switched places. Firefox consistently uses half as much memory and idles with next to no cpu consumption. Also the UI looks like a neater, customizable chrome now. The UI was a big turnoff in the past.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #347 on: March 28, 2014, 08:14:12 pm
Anybody follow the movements to free the net from the NSA? Fight for the Future is cooking up something for june 5

https://www.resetthenet.org/

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #348 on: March 29, 2014, 05:40:35 pm
in the same boat as atnas, feels good to be able to check out the pixels in browser. and chrome is an absolute memory wh**e it climbs up so fast. firefox supports idle caching etc i believe. biggest thing i hated is resuming a session on chrome reloads every single tab regardless :blind: firefox only loads a tab when you click on it

I'm using the Aurora experimental Firefox builds, one of the new things is a complete overhaul of the UI, it's ironically more chrome like, but the new tab groups feature is awesome, especially if you go insane with browser tabs (like me) too many resources and too much multitasking O: (on chrome it's not feasible) the fact the tabs go to sleep and don't take up memory and also are just addresses when you start up your browser is a step forward in my opinion, i never manage to go back through my bookmarks very much, you can tell which pages i haven't visited this session by the white

when you enter any of the tab groups it's normal browsing with the tabs up top.

you can go into a customize mode and click and drag all the menus and UI elements to any valid position within their valid nested location, themes aren't working yet.
I recently reinstalled windows purely for Unreal4 development, I miss my universal dark theme from linux :(

oh thanks for sharing that conceit, i feel there are a lot of initiative that have visibility and awareness as their only real obstacle to succeeding, just shared that on my facebook, which i've never been fond of, but art communities are taking off their so got dragged into that, and that's how the mod team i'm on communicates mostly.

btw anyone who is on flacidbook should check out groups like Draw or Die and LevelUp they are aimed more at illustration concept art and digital art in general but not really pixel art. then there are speed painting groups, 2 main ones being daily spitpainting(30m sharp, no photobashing or photo usage allowed)  and supers speed painting funtimes (50m limit, photobashing allowed, also pixels, 3D, anything) the groups tend to grow too large too quick and then get compromised by their own critical mass to some degree, atleast some aspects

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Reply #349 on: March 31, 2014, 12:24:36 am
You guys like pixel art, right? And NES?

Here's some good NES pixel art from a Castlevania II hack that will probably never see the light of day:

Much more here.

Special thanks to seven on nesdev for digging this stuff up. These tended to always be things I would mention when asked about good NES graphics, but I've never had 1:1 versions of them until now. Enjoy!
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES