AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014  (Read 168874 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014

Reply #320 on: January 31, 2014, 05:37:04 am
Ai, you do work on Krita? I really like it as of 2.8. The brush engine is a lot more advanced than any other open source painting application I've tried.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #321 on: January 31, 2014, 08:11:09 am
Ai, you do work on Krita? I really like it as of 2.8. The brush engine is a lot more advanced than any other open source painting application I've tried.
Yes, that is my first contribution to Krita, mainly because 2.8 got halfway-decent support for evdev based tablets (which was then promptly reverted because it impacted Wacom tablets negatively. But in my personal copy I un-reverted it so I'm happy.).

Later, I got DB16 and DB32 palettes into Krita too. Both of these things will be in 2.8 when it is released (mid-February?).

Krita actually has several independent brush engines (experiment-brush is one). Most recently it's acquired the MyPaint brush engine (this will be available in the 2.8 release IIRC). I struggle with the breadth of choices it provides. MyPaint brushes alone provide a vast array of choices..
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 08:13:19 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #322 on: February 02, 2014, 05:19:31 pm
Manga Studio users, here are instructions for a really helpful feature. Very efficient for use on line work. I need to start using the vector functions more.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #323 on: February 04, 2014, 08:07:30 pm
you guys may know I'm obsessed with EarthwormJim maps...and I recently realized a defunct site had a pretty good map collection of EWJ2 maps
http://web.archive.org/web/20100607072424/http://www.vgmapper.com/SysSNES/E/EarthwormJim2.html
but I couldnt get to em in time =/ did anybody by change get em? they look like this
http://www.wpcentral.com/sites/wpcentral.com/files/resource_images/EWJrace.gif
please share them if you do =) I'll share mine if anyone's interested too

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #324 on: February 05, 2014, 02:14:48 pm

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #325 on: February 07, 2014, 11:47:12 am
Hey Folks... it's been a while. 7 years to be precise...

Am I still banned?

Apologies, life kind of got in the way, I got a kid and got divorced and bought a house and got a job and lost a job and then set up a new company and stuff...

I just thought I say sorry to anyone who was still waiting for a Christmas pixel gift from me.

I'm now out of the games industry officially. I've just suggested a buddy of mine joins up here as he's in need of some pixels for a pet project he's been working on for a while... So if some one shows up calling himself BinaryTweed or some derivation thereof... please treat him nice...

Thanks...

Over & Out.
The fossil that is/was
Baccaman21
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Deejay

• View Profile
    • Binary Tweed

Reply #326 on: February 07, 2014, 01:26:09 pm
Aww, shucks dude! Thanks very much, seems this place is rife with excellent talent.
Binary Tweed
New games that are a bit like old games, but better

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #327 on: February 10, 2014, 05:21:23 am
Trying to work out a 'cel filling' system, for details that are not very important.
I consider this a moderate success:

<- input
<- output

3 step process:

1. Draw the 'cel' borders (the 'input' image seen above)
2. GMIC Repair->Inpaint[Solidify] . type=Morphological. This effects all transparent pixels in the current layer, assuming there is not a selection active.
3. GMIC Repair->Anisotropic smoothing. amplitude=8,anisotropy=1,tensor smoothness=1.3. de-coarsens the result a little.

Pretty fast, even including filter run time. I feel happy about this because it helps me focus on structure rather than cosmetic effects for unimportant elements.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 06:27:24 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #328 on: February 10, 2014, 05:58:47 am
Awesome! I'm interested if you've done any other utilitarian filters like that. I can see them being useful for stuff like creating the basis for vg background texture greeble or other stuff you dont really pay attention to, like you said.

If I get a chance I'll experiment with your system this week and see if it can fill any niches in my workflow.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #329 on: February 13, 2014, 05:32:29 am
How's this for off-topic creativity, PUNKS!?