AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014  (Read 168907 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread 2014

Reply #80 on: May 10, 2013, 06:34:45 pm
Yeah I was just thinking that learning to read the text instead of looking at the color, is the wrong part of the brain for an artist.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #81 on: May 10, 2013, 07:02:18 pm
Well, it doesn't matter whether you separate the text from the color or the color from the text, the point of the exercise is basically to tease your brains to ignore one input.
It's not especially art-related, but it's good to exercise your brains.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #82 on: May 12, 2013, 01:25:20 pm
I've recently dug up an old game project of mine and heavily revamped the graphics (while keeping within the same 8-bit computer specs of the 16 colours and wide pixels).  Also, with the help of Daniel Remar (who created many great indie games such as Iji and Hero Core)  I have revamped most of the code such as scrolling, movement and such for a more authentic 8-bit feel.   I still have much to do but least it's giving me something to do while I find a job, new home, new play to rehearse for and everything else...
Here be a screenie for those what likes retro stuffs...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:05:54 pm by Carnivac »
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #83 on: May 12, 2013, 05:56:31 pm
I don't just like it, I love it! Can we see video of it in action?

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #84 on: May 12, 2013, 06:46:40 pm
Glad you like.  :)

I'll try sort out a video in the next few weeks (I'm not very familiar with video software though so any suggestions for such a program would be welcome).  Still got some work to do on it before I feel like showing this version of it in action such as the little robot buddy (that can go into 16 pixel high tunnels), the zombie troopers and other bits and pieces.  Also some code is knowingly broken at moment (such as the multiple fire weapon) as I go through it all revising, ripping out, replacing and improving various bits.  I cut some stuff from the original demo I did (such as an 8 frame idle animation for the player) for memory reasons when I hope to get this converted to a real Amstrad CPC someday (and fulfil a childhood goal) though I find the 'limitations' are keeping me focused but also are themselves creating new features (having the zombie troopers and the main villain's initial form using the same leg sprites as the player made me realise I could switch the characters round for fun, as I just change the top half sprite and the name and have alternate story dialogue too.  And it makes sense in story as they all start as prisoners on the same spaceship so would be wearing the same trousers anyway). 

;D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #85 on: May 12, 2013, 06:54:48 pm
Ι would recommend any number of software for a real-time demo. Camtasia or Fraps are often employed.

Yes, limitations sometimes breed innovation. I too would like to make a pure 8-bit game someday (probably c64).

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #86 on: May 14, 2013, 07:26:43 am
Yeah.  It's the little boring bits dragging it down at moment.  At moment am redoing the clouds to be more tilable in various sizes (so different tiles connect to each other).  It's tedious and a lot of trial and error (as were the rock tiles) but should result in a wider variety of combinations and again save on memory on a real 64k computer.  Being able to get more out of less is probably good practice for most things anyways.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #87 on: May 14, 2013, 08:03:24 am
Looks wonderful, but the scanlines are killing it for me.   :blind:

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile

Reply #88 on: May 14, 2013, 08:35:53 am
Well, I don't like it without them (I use scanlines all the time when available, even on PS3 releases of retro-games as I find modern displays too 'clean' for low res 2D) but they are optional in the game's video settings.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #89 on: May 15, 2013, 09:21:46 pm
CARNIVAC: glad to hear that you're working on a project of your own, looking forward to it
on the scanlines thing IMO they are best when they arent full black, the light from between each pixel bleeds so they arent that harsh in reality

On another note...I've been thinking about the whole lo-spect aspect of things and David O reilly I think is an example of someone who's made a lot of progress on that. Recently he directed an adventure time episode, but his works stands out on it's own.

I was reading one of his posts where he was talking about theory of timing, and used a special filter to bring out the contrast in motion videos
http://davidoreilly.com/post/44795290855/timing2

Does anybody know what this filter is? I'd love to analayse the hell out of some motions with that
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:37:14 pm by Conceit »