AuthorTopic: Another Tile Thread [Really WIP]  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Another Tile Thread [Really WIP]

on: December 29, 2012, 05:32:22 am
Sorry. This is the first time in years I've been working as a dedicated artist on a project that isn't mine so I'm a little out of  practice in that respect, and this is the first time in even longer that I've needed standard RPG tiles.

So I made some.

The first thing I did, started with number one, tried some variations and then decided to play around with stylization rather than realism. I eventually decided to stick with that path.

Then I made some dirt, which ended up having some awful red/green contrast with the grass, and I seriously half assed the borders.

And then a dirt wall. This is actually version two with the first being even worse.

There are a few more I did, including some sand and more types of grass, but long story short, I decided this was all a good warm up and I should get started on the real tiles.

And now I'm here.

I decided that I might as well embrace the stylization rather than riding in the uncanny valley. This started out with me blocking in shapes to be refined -> realizing I kind of liked the angles from the square brush -> making it all rectangular -> realizing it was too simple and dithering a bit -> adding highlights for more detail and sharper angles.

This is all I have right now, but I'll update the thread as I go along.