AuthorTopic: GR#117 - Sword - Form, Shading  (Read 13000 times)

Offline Kaz

• View Profile

Re: Pixel Art by Kaz

Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 08:29:51 pm
Hmm Not exactly sure what you mean but i made the blades shadow darker and differed the colours a bit. But I'm worried about differing the colours too much from the original dark purple design.

Also I'm not sure i like the forums click the zoom feature it makes the image look blurry.

Anyway Old Sword:

New Sword:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 09:08:30 pm
Please do not post scaled up images. We have zoom code on the forum. clicking zooms in, shift or ctrl click zooms out, alt click resets zoom.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 11:00:00 pm
Also I'm not sure i like the forums click the zoom feature it makes the image look blurry.

That is because of your browser. What are you using? I'm using the most recent version of Firefox and it looks fine, pixel crispiness reserved.

Also your choice of shading and colors make your sword look more like a rubber or plastic toy than a lethal weapon.
A blade that is made to cut something will have a very thin, sharp edge. The 2-pixel thick highlight that you have on the edge makes the sword look blunt. As for your colors, not only are they very unrealistic - the purple is very strange in my opinion, but if you want to go with it, then that is okay, but you should attempt to make your colors look more interesting (with hue shifts) and have more value difference between them.

I'd do an edit, but you have received plenty of nice ones already, maybe read over them again.  :y: