AuthorTopic: [WIP] Faceset  (Read 2431 times)

Offline Âme

• View Profile

[WIP] Faceset

on: December 27, 2012, 10:40:12 pm
Gahhh!!!!!!!!!! I haven't posted anything in forever! I am officially a extreem lurker.  :'( I haven't really even done any pixel art lately. WTF self! anyway... I'm going to post this so that maybe it will motivate me to actually get something done. maybe

this thing is super old, but I've sorta been working on it lately soooo..... yah. its obviously not done but i wanna know if its sortof ok so far... the color for the eyes is just a filler and i still have to do hair. Also, do the skin collars have enough contrast and are the proportions and placement of the whole face structure thing right? the nose seems off to me but i dont know for sure... yah, just anything anyone has to say, whatever.

thxs,
Âme

:)

Offline Cage

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Re: [WIP] Faceset

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 11:44:16 pm
While the height of the features and their positioning height wise would work in a frontal view, the shade of the head suggest a down tilt - therefore throwing it all off.

Heads are tough and I'm still not satisfied with my heads, without getting a good feel for them in the 3d space, it's very hard to get them right - it's even hard to spot errors sometimes ;)

You might want to analyze some 3d head models (http://www.posemaniacs.com/ has one, you might want to google the Asaro head, pictures only though) and check some tutorials about "constructing" the head - you might want to check the books by Andrew Loomis or take a peek at tutorials here:
http://www.proko.com/ I know those are for the realistic approach, but it's necessary for good stylization - also, drawing on paper highly recommended ;)

If you're in a pinch and just need to have the mugshots done, try to make the faces straight on, or a 3/4 view without a downtilt - it will be easier to get it right.

As far as pixel tech goes, you might want to work on the lines - both sides of the chin look very angular. There's also banding on the eyebrows, lower lip' shadow and right side (of the picture) of the nose.

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Faceset

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 02:33:52 am
thxs so much for the links! I'm still no good at drawing, so these are much appriciated. Its always best to learn the basics befor getting into harder stuff right!  :D Im sopposed to be in a basic drawing class at school right now actually, but their not offering it this semester.  >:(

Anyway, thxs again! will work on it!