AuthorTopic: mini pixel art tutorial [Armoured Personal Carrier + mini-massacre scene]  (Read 5193 times)

Offline Luigi_Mu

• crazy pixel artist
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I'm pretty new here. So glad to see all you pixel geeks here xD

Just want to share a tiny tutorial of pixel art.

The goal was to make a gory scene with dead soldiers and an APC heavily damaged by zombies.

Feedbacks, complains, comments are very welcome xD

Cheers!
@Oni_Luigi

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio
Pretty impressive. Could you add a first step where explain how you built the basic volume?

I think I can see it, but it seems like an integral part.

It'd also be cool to see a "companion" on how you developed the characters and another
one on mechanical parts  ;D

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account
The art itself is quite fine, though I'd question the validity of the tutorial itself. The "Draw X, Do Y" style tutorials are rarely detailed enough to provide information. For example - how does someone reading this tutorial how to go from oval tool wheels to those fully detailed ones? How would they know how to correct their characters, or even what to make?
What experience level are you aiming your tutorial at?
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
The art itself is quite fine, though I'd question the validity of the tutorial itself. The "Draw X, Do Y" style tutorials are rarely detailed enough to provide information. For example - how does someone reading this tutorial how to go from oval tool wheels to those fully detailed ones? How would they know how to correct their characters, or even what to make?
What experience level are you aiming your tutorial at?

Definitely agreed, and by extension, I would think that a pixel art tutorial would mostly focus on pixel-level techniques (which you didn't cover well), rather than general art skills.  The latter is definitely good, and the starting construction idea is an essential one, but since things like that hold true in just about all mediums, why not focus mostly on the refinement stage instead?

Offline Luigi_Mu

• crazy pixel artist
    • View Profile
Hi Ashbadm Ymedron,

This is indeed not very tutorial, that's why there is a "MINI" in front of it   :D   Let's call it workflow then.

I'm new on the awesome pixel art forum. The only propose of this thread is sharing experience with you guys.   :)
@Oni_Luigi

Offline Luigi_Mu

• crazy pixel artist
    • View Profile
Hi Psiweapon,
Glad you like it ;) What do you mean by Basic volume? the basic shape of the vehicle?

Sure I'll share how characters were designed into pixel art here or in another post.

@Oni_Luigi

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud
Hi Ashbadm Ymedron,

This is indeed not very tutorial, that's why there is a "MINI" in front of it   :D   Let's call it workflow then.

I'm new on the awesome pixel art forum. The only propose of this thread is sharing experience with you guys.   :)

Fair enough :)  And it definitely is a good workflow tutorial -- there are a lot of people who start out a drawing without thinking of the basic forms that make up the subject (something I didn't learn until I shifted towards serious drawing.)  Don't take my comment as a "your tutorial is terrible", I think it's definitely wonderful, and potentially helpful to many.

On the other hand, I think there are some low-level pixeling techniques that are a must-have in a pixeling tutorial; this is especially true when the example subject (your tank) has a lot of detail in a small canvas space, when every pixel matters.  I'd suggest taking a look at this guide, since it solely focuses on these techniques: http://www.pixel.schlet.net/

Offline Luigi_Mu

• crazy pixel artist
    • View Profile
Fair enough :)  And it definitely is a good workflow tutorial -- there are a lot of people who start out a drawing without thinking of the basic forms that make up the subject (something I didn't learn until I shifted towards serious drawing.)  Don't take my comment as a "your tutorial is terrible", I think it's definitely wonderful, and potentially helpful to many.
Thanks Ashbad, anyway I do think by sharing workflow picture/video, thread poster and/or viewer can both find out where to improve pixel drawing skill.

On the other hand, I think there are some low-level pixeling techniques that are a must-have in a pixeling tutorial; this is especially true when the example subject (your tank) has a lot of detail in a small canvas space, when every pixel matters.  I'd suggest taking a look at this guide, since it solely focuses on these techniques: http://www.pixel.schlet.net/
The tutorial you shared is AWESOME. I admit that the vehicle is quite experimental, because it's kinda too big. Totally agreed when you say "every pixel matters". I'm glad there are still people care and love pixel art. Really nice to be a member of this forum.
@Oni_Luigi