AuthorTopic: Mental Diarrhea *Update: 06/27/06*  (Read 10648 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Mental Diarrhea *Update: 06/27/06*

on: June 24, 2006, 05:20:55 pm
As the header implies, my brain's been a bit overactive lately. Here, then, are several small defecatory pieces pixelled over the past few days. I'll no doubt be adding to this as time goes on, everytime I 'complete' a small, random arrangement of pixels that I feel isn't worth being considered a standalone piece. Yay!

I'm quite happy with some, satisfied with others and dislike one or two, but hey... thought I'd post what t I had.

Crits, comments, that sort of thing?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 09:08:21 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Mental Diarrhea

Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 05:32:46 pm
Heh wow, diarrhea never looked so good.

Of course, they're all awesome, but I especially like the pose of Shyclops, and the dog in "Good Boy!", though I'm not sure why the dog has a heart above his head (he must really love peeing).  "War Pigs" is also great because of it's characterization.  They're all very well done.  Great colors all around.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 06:09:32 pm
my fav has to be the warpig, oh and mr. absinthe.

these are so fantastic, you sure do have a way with pixels.
alexander

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 06:19:06 pm
very nice work, the variety is excellent.
I like the color choices and range of subject matter.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 06:26:23 pm
I like all , but i like very much "the green fairy" and all the works with few colours and good chosed.

I would make pixel-arts how you, i love your style  :o

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 06:32:49 pm
A wise man once said "One man's fecal matter is another's treasure.", which is clearly the case.

I quite like the Shyclops and the flamer. I would be interested in having an insight on how you choose and manage you palettes, if you'd be bothered to share.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 08:55:52 pm
I'd love to share my methods, but I find it hard to put into words, as colour selection, for example,is something which I kind of just 'do'. I don't put too much conscious thought into it. I'll try to explain as best I can, though.

First off, management isn't really an issue for me. Colour conservation, on the whole, is something I try to exercise, and so I arrange my palettes accordingly. Take the absinthe drinker, for example. I knew I needed greens for the bottle, peachy tones for the skin and some neutralish colours for the clothing (thus, the initial palette choices). My Caucasian skin ramps usually range from yellow (highlight) to purple (shade) with a peachy tone in the middle, for obvious reasons. In this case, I made the darkest skin tone a rather neutral purple, and the next darkest an almost brown so that they could be reused to give the impression of a brownish suit. the highlight colour is a rather desaturated yellow, as that lends itself to being both a highlight for the skin and the bottle (yellow acting as a lighter tone of both green and peach), and worked as the colour for the undershirt.

I then decided to add some ambient lighting from the "fairy". The main green was a bit harsh, but the lighter green I made almost gray so as to act as a midtone between the green and purple, adding the darkest (and slightly less saturated) green afterwards, as the 'main' colour of the ambient light. The neutral green also anded up being gray enough that it could be used as a shade on the undershirt, thus more palette unification (if you can call it that).

As for the darkest, darkest tone (a desat purple), that was pretty much an arbitrary choice. I could have just as easily gone with a dark dark green, with only slight changes to the feel of the piece. Either way, I hate using pureblack, so I generally choose a desaturated dark dark shade of a colour that already exists in the piece.

I'm horrible at explanations. If that was garbled, incomprehensible or just way off what you were looking for, let me know and I'll try to explain myself better. Either way, I'm flattered that you are interested in understanding my process. Just for interests sake, I feel like mentioning that I rarely (if ever) work from line art. With all of these pieces, for example, I drew, say, the face/head, coloured it, added maybe the torso, coloured an arm, drew a leg, erased part of the face, recoloured the arm, drew another leg, scrapped the whole body, etc. Very disorganized and process-less.

I'd be interested to know how other people go about it. Maybe I'll start a thread over in the general board, unless one already exists and I'm missing it. :P

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 08:59:00 pm
Haha, really nice and varied. My favourite is definitely the pig - just looks like it's begging to be put into a game.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #8 on: June 25, 2006, 01:57:08 am
It's always interesting to hear the artist's process. It's a very difficult thing to sinthetize though, cause it's not a rational, logical process  per se to most people. Thanks for taking the effort to do so :).

I notice all your works have a yellow, ambient tint. Do you pick just your initial colors by eye, all of them in this manner, or pick a tone and then mix them up in the software (and what software are you using)?

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 07:43:41 pm
Hah, those are awesome. That's the coolest flamer I've ever seen. =P

But alas, in truth I was hoping to see a drawing of someone pooping out of his/her ear.