AuthorTopic: New Mockup (Yes another) WIP  (Read 8897 times)

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Re: New Mockup (Yes another) WIP

Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 09:07:25 pm
Shhhh!

(*Goes to fix it*)

[EDIT] I can't really get it to seem light-but-not-invisible so this will have to do:

[EDITEDIT] Ok so Imgur is bugging out, will upload later [EDITEDIT]

Imgur finally worked :) Here:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 08:41:45 pm by imnumberfour »

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 08:56:07 am
I'm not sure why you keep changing the color of these mountains. That second version was spot on, and it's only going downhill from there. Why did you change it? The third is obviously too light, and the fourth is too similar to the closer mountains. That second one was pretty much the sweet spot, and I thought it looked good.

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 11:38:28 am
I do share your thoughts, the second does seem to be the best, but I thought the colours were too murky. If thats not the case though, i'd be happy to have the second as my mountain layer!

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 11:23:18 pm
Just popping in to say: I haven't abandoned this like most my work, it's just because i'm at my grans for Christmas and have no time in-between family games and whatnot. :)

[EDIT] Yeeaaah....This is never going to get finished. I always hate doing this, but again i've hit a dead end: Theres no motivation going into this in any way. I feel the only reason I made it was because I got bored for 10 minutes, I had no reason to do it other than to try and get recognition, which shouldn't be the driving force behind art (at least in my opinion). So i've decided, i'll take a break and see if anything, something that will really motivate and captivate me, pops up. I would like to try and make an actual pixel piece that ISNT a mockup as well. [/EDIT] [/end rant]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:59:18 pm by imnumberfour »

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 09:17:28 pm
Actually, some artists have experimented with making background layers lighter than the sky. You see it in SMW, actually!

An easy way to motivate yourself is to chase a goal. Do you want to create a video game? Either learn to both compose and program, or start rubbing shoulders with people with the know-how.

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 12:05:36 pm
I have always wanted to make a game, but I would only be the artist and even then i'm not good at game art, I can only make a few tiles and thats it! I might pick this up again some other time, who knows.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 12:19:37 pm
I often lose motivation at the time when I post on forums like this one for help. It's because I'm stuck.

Getting stuck is no fun for anyone, but getting past it and learning something new can be.

I'm not sure about your actual artistic abilities in general, but I know at least for me, that I have little-to-none outside of pixel art tech and this is why I hit a wall often in my pieces. I plan on studying to really improve as an artist in general, and hopefully this will keep me from hitting these walls so often, and improve my ability to render more things. I think with more knowledge and experience you will have more ease drawing things, and thus more fun as well.

My advice is if you're stuck on something for too long, move on. Don't force yourself to have a miserable time drawing something. (Although sometimes it helps to draw outside your comfort zone to learn new things.)

You need to just keep on trying new things, don't wait for inspiration to hit you in the face, because sometimes it won't.

Often I'll draw something and completely hate how it's looking and scrap it. Every now and then, though, I'll make something I'm actually very satisfied with and it becomes a joy to work on. (Because when you have a great start, it's hard to make things too much worse no matter what you do, really.) Those are the pieces you should probably see through to completion and really seek out help on if you get stuck.

Hope this helps, and good luck finding some motivation.  :y:

Btw Pixelation is probably one of the worst places you could go if you just want recognition on your work.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:13:20 pm by Dr D »

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 03:12:11 pm
Thank you for saying that :) I've decided to just keep practicing little things every day, instead of trying to force myself to do one thing over and over which I end up not enjoying. :) I've also started to draw on paper a lot more recently, focusing on poses of various animals.

Any admins or moderators can feel free to lock this if they wish.

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 05:27:54 pm
Btw Pixelation is probably one of the worst places you could go if you just want recognition on your work.  ;)
Pixelation, however, is probably the best resource for learning pixel art. Although pixeljoint has the more spectacular pieces, it's also completely flooded with people who, well, can't "art" at all. This forum is, in many ways, what the forum at pixeljoint could be.

Anyways, most drafts and ideas you try will be bunk. I'll be honest. But this is because of the nature of experimentation: you're trying untested ideas, of course most of them are going to detract from your work, but that isn't the value of experimentation. Experimenting is worth it is because every failed idea increases your insight. Guys that seem to be able to draw an effective, complex picture quickly and from nothing already have a little library of ideas in their heads that they already know work. The big secret there is that the pictures those guys draw quickly and from nothing don't satisfy them. It's the ones they struggle with that they enjoy.

Offline Cage

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 06:43:15 pm
Try to not worry about unsatisfactory results - remember, that even a crappy or unfinished picture means more progress than doing nothing at all ;)

I hope you don't abandon pixelart and art in general, good luck on your next pieces!