AuthorTopic: Castle rooms sketches : i need your help  (Read 7199 times)

Offline HardcoreBadger

• View Profile

Castle rooms sketches : i need your help

on: December 08, 2012, 02:48:16 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to make my first game which will look like a 3/4 top down rpg, like Sunset Over Imdahl, Blood Omen, Zelda.

The game will take place in a castle, in its rooms. I only need few rooms ideas in theory (but the more the better). The problem is I really don't find any reference to help me, anything to inspire me, so I ask you there if someone could sketch or draw something really quick, just to get some rooms ideas (what could be inside, what kind of textures I don't know).

Else you could indicate me some reference pictures.
Else i'm gonna experiment shitty drawing till i get something good :p

I drew these as first draft

http://www.noelshack.com/2012-49-1354977442-testjose004.png
http://www.noelshack.com/2012-49-1354977448-testjose006.png

It's more like an abbey's garden because i don't think there were things like that in castles but I thought it would be easier. Maybe i should stick with indoor rooms which is more "realistic/convincing" although the plot will be totally absurd.

As you can see this is not really appealing... I don't have good ideas in mind, the perspective is weird lol. I drew this only to have an idea of what it'll look like.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:44:49 pm by HardcoreBadger »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: Castle rooms sketches : i need your help

Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 11:55:11 am
First: Some people are lazy here and don't click thorugh blank links. So it's best to make your images visible first thing by using the image tag:  "" Then, in between the two imgs insert your image location. You would go:

img http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2012/49/1354977442-testjose004.png /img

And just add the brackets.

Second: As for inspiration. Have you seen the 'Second Quest' comic on kickstarter? Also DoubleFine's 'Hack 'N Slash' might be good as well. But I'm not sure how public those forums are. Also, check out Orioto on deviantArt. He does fantastic video game stuff in general and a few Zelda pieces.

Otherwise. They look neat to me.

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 03:01:21 pm
Those look pretty interesting already c:

What kind of game is it going to be? A lot of the time you can find a good amount of inspiration from Legend of Zelda series (which you were inspired to do the 3/4th perspective from.) Sometimes a dungeon will have an obj that behaves differently than others in the game. Like a block to be pushed, an orb to be slashed or places to ignite a fire.

Really a map is only as interesting as you make it. The less empty it is the better really. (Do not flood the room with TOO much stuff though) A lot of the time in game design you will have levels that feel empty and void of usefulness. Much like New Super Mario Bros. (Wii) where majority of it was just running to the right while some of the earlier version had things hidden in the sky.

Offline HardcoreBadger

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:40:03 pm
OK

first, lol about lazy guys thats why nobody answered my other thread then :x
I didn't put in Img tags because the pics were too huge but okay I changed it and it doesn't show up for me neither in firefox nor in IE. (EDIT : i modified their sizes and now it works)

Second, thank you !! it helps me !
I found this image which could help me and the 2 with the little boy on the kickstarter page.
Maybe should i search for more but I think there aren't many ones around the internet for now.

About  Hack N slash from Double Fine forum, it looks interesting but I found only one picture and this is what i need.
About Orioto, i saw him on french TV 1 week ago lol i wrote his name down !! seriously what a coincidence ^^

So thank you Xhunterko, it's the kind of things I need, if something like that come into your mind, do not hesitate to say which thing I should check !

TheMonsterAtlas:
The kind of game i'm making is a mix between a reflexion game, a puzzle game and an action rpg game without the RPG xD (i mean it will feature some fights but few and it will require reflexion) and a funny game too.
Yes I got inspired a lot by zelda already because that's almost the only game I know except Blood Omen and something like "legend of mystic" or i don't know but it's famous and in the beginning the hero fights a big human tiger i guess.

I just can't "represent" what I want in my head, so I need to get inspired and experiment.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 08:45:35 pm by HardcoreBadger »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Offline HardcoreBadger

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 05:35:08 pm
yes it's mystic quest ty ^^