AuthorTopic: QUESTIONS: Backgrounds  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Azurath

• View Profile

QUESTIONS: Backgrounds

on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:48 am
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. I registered to ask a few questions regarding backgrounds.

I was doing some research on how to go about creating backgrounds for a game and I ran into a bit of confusion regarding the images I was looking at and whether they were hand painted or pixel art.

Here are a few examples of what I mean:

Trickster Online

Lane Brown

Legend of Mana

Unsure

- Are any of these made by hand using pixel art? There seems to be something very hand painted about all of them.

- IF these are hand painted, does anyone know how something like that would be incorporated into a game? Would it just be one very large image/PNG? Or would there be a ton of layered images that get pieced together?

- Are there advantages/disadvantages to using Pixelart VS/OR Digital painting for backgrounds?

- How would one go about pixeling an entire background for a game. Would you do it with individual tilesets or create one very large pixel background?

Sorry, these may be very obvious/basic to some, but I'm really stuck and hope someone can help me out.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:01:24 pm by Azurath »

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Re: QUESTIONS: Backgrounds

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 04:32:50 pm

- Are any of these made by hand using pixel art? There seems to be something very hand painted about all of them.

Definitely not pixel art, but clean airbrush/more common digital art.

- IF these are hand painted, does anyone know how something like that would be incorporated into a game? Would it just be one very large image/PNG? Or would there be a ton of layered images that get pieced together?

Depends on how the rendering engine is put together.  Just using a large PNG would be the easiest, but nothing would be re-usable, and you'd probably need some sort of back-buffer for collision detection and such (for example, using an image the size of the foreground that has colors like white representing walkable space, black meaning non-walkable space, blue being a path of lava, etc. -- at least, that's a very easy way.)

- Are there advantages/disadvantages to using Pixelart VS/OR Digital painting for backgrounds?

Pixel art uses minimal color counts; it also can therefore be compressed better when size is an issue.  For an aesthetic point of view, it gives a clean and somewhat-retro look.  It really depends on the game/project, and even more so on the intended aura the game creates, which is chiefly determined by the style of the graphics, the detail level of the graphics, the arrangement of the environments, the characters in the game, the storyline and setting, and how the music works with all of them.

- How would one go about pixeling an entire background for a game. Would you do it with individual tilesets or create one very large pixel background?

Depends on how the rendering engine is written and what the artist is willing to do.

Offline Azurath

• View Profile

Re: QUESTIONS: Backgrounds

Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:54:53 pm
Very helpful, thank you Ashbad!