AuthorTopic: GR#114 - Phantis: Protgonist Sprite - Sideview, Animation  (Read 32044 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Phantis: Protagonist Sprite

Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 04:46:18 pm
I think my argument stands no matter the gender (...). They are generic enough that the player can feel like "one of" the characters able to do what their avatar does : "A" ninja, "A" spy, "A" commando.
As you said, it's really a matter of design choice.
I'd even turn it into "it's a design choice that really matters". As such, it may be worth in such a situation to step back and orient the choice given the type of response one wish to induce in the audience.

btw, although I haven't played the original (censored or not) game, but the character for "Jill of the Jungle" was somewhat similar (strong feminine shape, no face). Despite being named, she's not establishing communication with the player. On the other side, you've got the character in "Legend of Kyrandia: hand of fate" that has just the minimum amount of pixels required to define a face, and is making amusing remarks about the situation.

I do admit that faceless characters are common in action games (another world, in addition to those you already mentioned), and it clearly makes sense when you're trying to push realism (including motion capture) as a key feature of the game. You got one in Flashback, too, which is an interesting case where people talk to the avatar, but the player almost never responds (merely gives item).

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: December 05, 2012, 04:59:12 pm
By the way, I don't think the original Phantis has a crashed ship. Is it an intentional nod to Freddy Hardest, an older game by the same team ?

Nahh - there was no crashed ship in the original game, but the nod to Freddy Hardest might've been subconscious: ). I was thinking of incorporating both - the ship and the swamp sections from Side A into my game, but at different points. For example - Side B has a small swamp section followed by a helicopter ride  - I might replace the helicopter ride with the kangaroo section, and maybe tack a ship stage at the end, or not: )

I liked Freddy Hardest, even though in retrospect it was not that great a game - still - I wish someone does a proper update to it, as THIS (http://www.freegamearchive.com/download-games/freeware/actions/freddy-hardest-xxl/16990) just wouldn't do.

I am currently doing two things - working Ian's (Big Brother's) model into the game and working on a scaled up version of the game for a potential eShop port.

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 05:06:25 am
Hey guys - hilarious new development. Apparently this exists:

Her name is Lorna, she is from the Heavy Metal universe, and the artist who did the Phantis cover wholesale ripped her off was the same guy who did the comic! So, the question is now - do you think if I continue with this in-game sprite and cutscene look - do I run a chance of pissing off some lawyers somewhere:

(WIP)

CORRECTION! According to MobyGames MSX credits for the game - the same artist did the cover art as the comic! Whoah - this just got freaking weird!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 05:19:36 am by DarkFalzX »

Offline numlock

• View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 06:02:51 am
hi I have nothing much to add since I think protagonist looks great tough I loved DarkFalzX's edit on ppds work, that looks like some pro work, my only complain would be (which it might be in development) that in the video first part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gJiIP9aTgw the jumping guy whos following her around is kinda messes with my eyes, somehow disorienting maybe, might be just me tough still I think something more smooth looking might be better, also might be because if game is 30 fps, is it 30 or 60 fps?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 06:06:25 am by numlock »

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 06:16:18 am
hi I have nothing much to add since I think protagonist looks great tough I loved DarkFalzX's edit on ppds work, that looks like some pro work, my only complain would be (which it might be in development) that in the video first part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gJiIP9aTgw the jumping guy whos following her around is kinda messes with my eyes, somehow disorienting maybe, might be just me tough still I think something more smooth looking might be better, also might be because if game is 30 fps, is it 30 or 60 fps?

Thank you: )
My computer is kind of old and crap, so the video recording software I used didn't record all that smoothly, especially since I've tried recording a higher-res to reduce artifacting. It all looks MUCH smoother IRL.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 06:57:17 pm
I think you should only worry about lawyers if the game turns out to be an Angrybirds type of homerun hit.

Still, even if that happened, Lorna's design pretty much boils down to blonde bombshell+pink onepiece+Laser guns. The onepiece part isnt even consistant, she's naked half the time :p

Also, why not just contact Azpiri? azpiri at free.fr it's right on his webpage.

Lorna is just blonde bombshell, all you really have to do is give her something more than that to indentify her and she's already a differeant character than Lorna, a single identifying accesory is enough.  You already know I think that something should be something wacky to fit the atmosphere of bouncing chomping heads and guns.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ikThZaHds did you know about this? :p

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=950492&Aux=43975&From=gallery&GSub=117380&GCat=68688&UCat=0 check it, the original cover art.

Looking at Azpiri's art on that site, Phantis is supposed to be a different character than Lorna...as far as I can tell she's got a bit more angular hair and that's it :p You got the ok from the original creator, who probably commisioned Azpiri to design Phantis right? so you shouldnt worry after all :p

Still, knowing that the source character WAS just a blonde fucking every alien robot and human in sight puts everything in perspective. I think that <3 at the end was not rosy after all :p
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 08:28:25 pm by Conceit »

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: December 16, 2012, 11:14:11 pm
I think you should only worry about lawyers if the game turns out to be an Angrybirds type of homerun hit.
True. But this also makes it kind of publisher poison - so my dream of putting this on eShop is pretty much fucked.

Still, even if that happened, Lorna's design pretty much boils down to blonde bombshell+pink onepiece+Laser guns. The onepiece part isnt even consistant she sometimes has sleeves.

Lorna is just blonde bombshell, all you really have to do is give her something more than that to indentify her and she's already a differeant character than Lorna, a single identifying accesory is enough.  You already know I think that something should be something wacky to fit the atmosphere of bouncing chomping heads and guns.
One thing I wanted to give her was either a scarf or one of those tall, wide sweater collars, but it's totally not workable with the current model. Damnit - one way or another, I can feel another model overhaul coming up: /

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ikThZaHds&feature=player_embedded. did you know about this? :p
also, why not just contact Azpiri? azpiri at free.fr it's right on his webpage.
Damn - I'm no journalist, but the story behind this game appears to be a lot more interesting than I could have ever imagined, and might be worth something like a HardcoreGaming 101 article: )
Also - not impressed by that video in any shape or form. I might contact the artist for the hell of it though.

Still, knowing that the source character WAS just a blonde fucking every alien robot and human in sight puts everything in perspective. I think that <3 at the end was not rosy after all :p

Never read the Lorna comics, but did play the PC and Spectrum games. If she is this way - I guess she is just a Barbarella knock off after all.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:03:53 am by DarkFalzX »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #47 on: December 17, 2012, 03:29:58 am
I found a comic online, and it is pretty much just that :p. I didnt even see any gunfights. I'mma PM it to you cause I dont know if the public at large wants to see this :p it's still pretty easy to find at the same website all these images are from.

As far as I could tell though, Lorna is supposed to be something different from Phantis and the illustration you're basing her off of was made by Azpiri so I think you should be fine.

These 3 pieces are supposed to be of phantis
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=963131&GSub=57029
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=958461&GSub=57029
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=950492&GSub=117380
she has a bit of a bowlcut while

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=943400&GSub=57225
Lorna has just one reaaally long bang at the front...:p not much of a difference but there you go, she is legitimately a different character and she was made by the same artist so not really a knockoff...just lazy character design I guess.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:45:04 am by Conceit »