AuthorTopic: GR#114 - Phantis: Protgonist Sprite - Sideview, Animation  (Read 32046 times)

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Re: Phantis: Protagonist Sprite

Reply #30 on: December 02, 2012, 07:52:49 pm
I know big brother has done some tongue-in-cheek works with well-endowed females before

Baseless allegations, sir. Damned lies!

EDIT: Reinterpreted the sprite to fit the cartoony style without losing the air of Amazonian power. She's closer in design to the title pic. No need to upsize! :crazy:
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:39:18 am by big brother »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #31 on: December 03, 2012, 03:21:18 am

This is my take, which is based on the original art as much as I could get it to. There's a different philosophy behind my choices of stand and anatomy here because I believe an amazon warrior should have an assertive stance, as well as more stronger legs than bigger boobs. At this size getting a face in there was tough but it kind of works, I think? This size is perfect for real pixel art skills to shine. I believe a lot of disambiguation in the shading would help regardless of which physique you go with. If I were you I'd remove a lot of highlights, let the middle shades assert and explain the forms.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 08:48:17 am
Hey Ian - that's pretty awesome. Though at this point if I will redo this character again - I might as well upscale the entire freaking deal to be easily ported to, say 3DS or iOS.
...Honestly, I was hoping people would unilaterally say the cartoony style is more fitting, so I could just finish this project by new years and be done with it. Now that it's all been ripped to shreds and I've been called a pedophile, I'm not so sure I even want to. Not being a big pussy here - just saying it how it is. Up to this point this whole thing has been propelled by a single breath of enthusiasm and what you saw in that video was drawn, animated and coded in just over a week in my spare time. After today the enthusiasm is almost entirely gone. I still want to finish this game - as I promised Mr Carlos Abril - the creator of the original 8-bit game (who BTW signed off on the cartoony version), but now I have an enormous amount of doubt weighing down my vision in addition to all the art I need to redo, not to mention all the art I still need to draw.

...Meanwhile at the depression cave!
<<<Animated the larger walk cycle.

WHAT? if you got the signoff from the original creator then go with what you had....I wouldnt even have come here in your place :p.

People throw around labels for no reason on the internet, dont torture yourself over that. The little girl looks a little off in the world of guns and stuff, but really considering the source material I dont think that's anything to be worried about, you just tried to take the oversexualization out of it.

Do a little fix like getting rid of the pigtails if you want to, but dont turn this fun project into some boring chore
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:57:17 am by Conceit »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 09:04:41 am
Hey Ian - that's pretty awesome. Though at this point if I will redo this character again - I might as well upscale the entire freaking deal to be easily ported to, say 3DS or iOS.
...Honestly, I was hoping people would unilaterally say the cartoony style is more fitting, so I could just finish this project by new years and be done with it. Now that it's all been ripped to shreds and I've been called a pedophile, I'm not so sure I even want to. Not being a big pussy here - just saying it how it is. Up to this point this whole thing has been propelled by a single breath of enthusiasm and what you saw in that video was drawn, animated and coded in just over a week in my spare time. After today the enthusiasm is almost entirely gone. I still want to finish this game - as I promised Mr Carlos Abril - the creator of the original 8-bit game (who BTW signed off on the cartoony version), but now I have an enormous amount of doubt weighing down my vision in addition to all the art I need to redo, not to mention all the art I still need to draw.

Really? I like your old ones much as your new ones! Imo I dont see problem there and most of people is going to like it because its really well done! I really think Most of the people dont care if the style is realistic or anime, Cutenes.. If its quality stuff then there is no problem and even if the quality suck there audience who prefer more to gameplay.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:07:33 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 09:40:10 am
WHAT? if you got the signoff from the original creator then go with what you had....I wouldnt even have come here in your place :p.

People throw around labels for no reason on the internet, dont torture yourself over that. The little girl looks a little off in the world of guns and stuff, but really considering the source material I dont think that's anything to be worried about, you just tried to take the oversexualization out of it.

Do a little fix like getting rid of the pigtails if you want to, but dont turn this fun project into some boring chore

Can't agree more - it's great to take on constructive criticism, but it's not mandatory to address every single minor (:lol:) concern.  It's much better to enjoy and finish your project.   :D

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:35 pm
I was going to comment on this yesterday, but didn't know how voice myself. Conciets put it very well though. And to add, a few people here, have very specific preferences and are very narrow minded when things fall outside of these preferences. I've seen to many of these type of threads all over pixel and indie communities and it usually involves the same people.

I loved the youtube video, and I do hope this game will be advertised well, so that I can play it.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 01:35:38 am
And to add, a few people here, have very specific preferences and are very narrow minded when things fall outside of these preferences.

While belittling people with 'specific preferences' when they voice their opinion wouldn't be narrow-minded in the least, would it? ::)

Just so it's said tho, it would suck if DarkFalzX lost his gusto because of criticism he didn't ask for in the first place. It's very good stuff overall, and even if personally, the second style is my least favourite among the lot, it's still a very well-made character.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 10:22:06 am
I tend to prefer the older design, because the lack of facial features is more mysterious, there is no expression of emotion that could clash with the player's expectations. (You're falling in a lava! Stop smiling!)
When I think of all the low-resolution game characters like this one, (first version), with focus on realistic body proportions, I remember mostly their athletic ability, and sometimes body language. "Faceless" character helps self-identification, IMO. (edit: Which might explain the popularity of ninja characters when I was young ?)

edit: I did play the original game on the CPC, but outside Spain, the protagonist was changed to a blocky, rigid, sexless space suit.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:51:51 am by yrizoud »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 10:50:55 am
"Faceless" character helps self-identification, IMO.
And it also helps identifying the character as a soul-less body, which given the inherent sex appeal of the character, quickly turns her into "it".

there is no expression of emotion that could clash with the player's expectations.
But again, having emotions that stands against player's expectation is what allows your character to have character of her own.

I don't pretend there's a "right" way and a "wrong" way here, but there's definitely a strong design choice to make. Do you want your heroine to be percieved as a soul-less avatar under full control of the player, or some cyber-entity of her own that the player guides, who's able to talk to other NPCs (I wouldn't expect a face-less avatar in an RPG, for instance) or have remarks of her own, etc. (which imho is fundamental for the player to create a relationship towards the character, which in turns helps the game to be "remembered of").

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: December 05, 2012, 03:01:50 pm
I think my argument stands no matter the gender : look at the protagonist of 5th axis or Impossible Mission, they are anatomically detailed, but faceless, like these wooden dolls  that you pose for drawing. They are generic enough that the player can feel like "one of" the characters able to do what their avatar does : "A" ninja, "A" spy, "A" commando.
Instead of a specific one chosen by the game designer : The plumber called Mario, The miner called Willy, etc.
As you said, it's really a matter of design choice.

In the case of Phantis I've only known the version for sale outside Spain, where the main character was a very generic asexual space suit. So "adding character" is what feels stranger to me.

By the way, I don't think the original Phantis has a crashed ship. Is it an intentional nod to Freddy Hardest, an older game by the same team ?