AuthorTopic: GR#114 - Phantis: Protgonist Sprite - Sideview, Animation  (Read 32043 times)

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Re: Phantis: Protagonist Sprite

Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 08:20:09 pm
Hey Carnivac, man - the extreme bg of that shot was kind of an afterthought, but it looked alright, and I just left it in there. It's probably the only non-pixel thing in the game (well, that and a negative-space-ish foreground, because it's supposed to be kind of blurry).
I have decided to overhaul the player sprite because I just couldn't get attached to my original character design, which was somewhat more closely based on the original. The new design also seems to match the rest of the world and wacky characters a bit better, though it is definitely more cutesy.
Here - a video of the game in action with the "cute" design: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gJiIP9aTgw

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 08:39:23 pm
The background itself is fine and I like the colors and atmosphere of it, I just wish it was more pixelled and less overly blurred. 

And yeah seeing the cutesy sprite in-game walking about just kinda depresses me.  I have a huge dislike for that kind of character design at all (I just do not get why any grown male would want to play as a 'cute' little girl... creepy).  There's just something I really loved about the european feel of 8 bit computer games on CPC/C64/Spectrum and this just seems much more like a japanese console game (although the first sprite actually reminds me of suitless Samus Aran sprites but then Super Metroid always did feel more european compared to other japanese games, part of the reason I loved it so much on my SNES). 

I can appreciate the work gone into this remake but it's not for me at all.   
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 09:43:14 pm
Though I'm still not digging it as much, here is an edit of my original design:
(original)
(new non-cute)

As much as I loved the Spectrum game, I thought the cutified version reflected the spirit of the whole thing better, also kind of made it easier to root for the character, and yes - made it look more like a 16-bit console game, which was kind of the point.

Also, while I totally understand the nostalgia for the 8-bit version, it's not like it was some sort of a somber masterpiece.

Who wants to bet the artist used one hand while pixeling this?: )

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 11:08:47 pm
As much as I loved the Spectrum game, I thought the cutified version reflected the spirit of the whole thing better, also kind of made it easier to root for the character

In your opinion...   I can't really root for a character I find to be what looks like a child's proportions, face and pigtails yet has defined breasts and wears a skimpy bikini.    Yeah I know in Japan they love all that crap but they can keep it...

And yeah I quite like the edited one there though the hair seems a bit odd.  Works though.

Anyways it's your remake.  You do what you like.    I'm out of this topic.  It's bugging me too much.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:11:03 pm by Carnivac »
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 11:56:51 pm
Gotta say, the youtube video really is appealing. Good job on what you got so far :)

Also gotta say my problem with the cute design, apart from the fact I think it's generic, is pretty much the same as Carnivac's. Sure it's the anime way I know, but anime cuteness in games has been done to death for one. And two, this is a remake of a game with some hefty soft-core imagery from what I can tell. Do you really want to go with the kiddie-look for your protagonist considering the source material?

The newest design looks very good to me. Has more character than the old one.

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 01:43:43 am
That's my thing though, I kept some things from the original - female, somewhat scantly-clad, but got rid of others - more-realistic proportions, colossal, unspeakably, ridonkulously ginormous tits, and a jetpack that seemingly fires out of her nether-regions. Also, this isn't meant to be a re-coloring of the original, but more of a 16-bit, console-friendly reimagining. I don't intend to keep the cheesy, lover-saving plot of the original either.

I guess I was asking for trouble when choosing Phantis as a source material - the original's only standout feature were the above-mentioned titanic mammaries, so the line with the player character was pretty thin to begin with.

What if I keep the cartoony look, but make her outfit less revealing?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 02:51:20 am by DarkFalzX »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 03:28:59 am
A cartoony look with more of the qualities of the title image could be cool.

Of course size becomes an issue.

And it is less of a departure as you want.

What if I keep the cartoony look, but make her outfit less revealing?
Definitely give it a shot.
More armor like perhaps.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:32:19 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 04:58:52 am
Hey Darkfaxlz, good to see you old buddy =)  (camus here)

The enviroment of the game seems based on spacewar and surreality. The girl is sexualized but it's kind of common in this kind of game and I dont really mind it, obviously it's not realistic but neither ist that jumping chomping head, but if you want to reduce that and add armor then I wouldnt care.

Problem for me is nto that she's cartoony but pink everywhere with the pigtails and big kawaii eyes. That makes me expect to find items made of cuddly kittens, hearts, makeup and muffins :p

Why dont you give her some spiky hair? make the pigtails asymetric? turn the pink into purple, use pink less or with a complementary color and give her some goggles or b&w striped leggings or some accesory like that. Try putting a bit of Bjork or Pink  or your favorite Rock chick in there. Make me think of FLCL/Dead Leaves/Gorillaz/SkullGirls not...Bratz/PollyPocket/hello Kitty :p

You dont like the sexualized intro picture, but other than sexualized she looks positively alien, she has weird plastic shit over her eyes and the eyes dont even have sclera just one big blue pupil. The pink looks pretty magenta, you could even make it purple based on the intro pic

EDIT: looked at the original...the jetpack seems to be a disk that she's sitting on, not her nether regions themselves :p maybe that knowledge'll be useful
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:41:59 am by Conceit »

Offline DarkFalzX

• Attorney at LOL
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 06:05:31 am
Conceit, man - I don't want to make her THAT different - all I did with my cartoony edit (which was NOT meant to be anime-inspired BTW) was make her boobs nearly non-existent, enlarge her head and shrink her legs by a pixel. It is also probably the reason for Carnivac's flipout (he has since deleted all open suggestions of me being a pedophile: ) - I left too much of the original character design in. However - If I start redesigning her from the ground up, I might as well abandon this project right now, as it will never get done.

PixelPiledriver - I love your idea, unfortunately - your sprite is nearly double the original in size. Here - I have made an edit of how I would LOVE Serena (that's her name BTW) to look - and her shrunk down to the size I am using in the game. A bit pointless, unfortunately.

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 06:44:31 am
Actually, I'm not so sure--I think there's more appeal in that last one than you give it credit for.  It could probably use some cleaning (especially around the knees), but I rather like it.