AuthorTopic: GR#114 - Phantis: Protgonist Sprite - Sideview, Animation  (Read 32040 times)

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site
Dear everybody,

My friend Andrew and I are working on a Phantis remake. He wants you to know that this is a quick project. I want you to know that he has done all the work. We want to get some feedback on two design directions for the protagonist.

Here's an in-game shot with the original design.

Here's an updated direction.

Here are assorted GIFS of the protagonist.

Tell us what you think about the two sprites. Do you have reasons to prefer one style over the other?

More screens of the original game can be seen here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/game-over-ii/screenshots

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Phantis: Protagonist Sprite

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 04:03:18 am
I definitely like the updated version more. There is so much more familiarity in the face and hair that the character is much more recognizable. Beautiful colors overall by the way. LOVE the direction of the art =)

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:07:27 am
I think the second one has a lot more character and is more cutesy (could be seen as a good or bad thing depending on the overall game), whilst the original feels a lot more like she would be a silent/badass type of woman.

Although based on the original game (I've never played it, just looking at screens), it seems like the original 'badass' sprite would be more appropriate for those kind of graphics. The updated version seems to fit the new graphic style more. She fits in better.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:25:24 am by Dr D »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:29:45 am
I definitely prefer the second sprite. Both are pretty well executed and there isn't much to say about that.

But if I look at the flying enemy and the background it seems that the whole game looks more cartoony and graphical than realistic. The second's sprite face with eyes provides much more character and possibilities to bring in fun expressions - I don't played the original game though.

I have to say that the smoke looks from the gr<adient better in the first screen and from the overall contrast better in the second screen, although it's imo to bright for that kind of smoke.

I hope you finish this, looks like something I want to play  :y:
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 10:20:50 am
Like the others, I choose the second sprite as well. I agree with Dr D on the "more character" thing. It just helps a whole lot when the person you're playing has a readable face. I also agree on Cyangmou's overall cartoony style point. The first sprite does seem a tad lost in that world.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:19:22 pm by Crow »
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 10:52:57 am
Yo,

I prefer the first one myself. The second has nice facial detail and all but it looks like just another cute kid. Like you see in a million other platformers. The first one is more in line with the original character design. Also, the first gets less pervert factor if you sex her up like in the amstrad screenies :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:54:46 am by ErekT »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 01:42:53 pm
I would go with the first one as well. The reasons are kind of complicated. I do realize that most people would prefer the second because it has an actual face, but I do not enjoy the shift in tone as much. From a demographic perspective, if the artist has no attachment to either style, I am sure style 2 will prevail.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:01:19 am by Helm »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 07:23:20 pm
I like both styles equally.
Both characters are good, just with different qualities.
Because of this I think you will get a pretty even mix of opinions.
Personally I would look at it from your perspective as the developer and choose the one you find more rewarding to animate.

Some sort of combination could work.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 07:29:32 pm
I love all of them equally too, really great work.  The 2nd one with the face is particularly great, if slightly young.  The pigtails really don't help if you wanna avoid that.  Love PixelPiledriver's edit too, though just changing the hair is possibly the easiest 'biggest win' if you don't wanna change the whole thing again.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 07:38:12 pm
First one by far.  Second one looks like Penny from Inspector Gadget and the idea of playing as some little girl is certainly off-putting to me (I don't particularly like playing as female characters either but I just find no joy in playing as a child in violent situations) and I'm probably one of the few here who often enjoyed playing the original game (as well as other games by Dinamic) on my Amstrad CPC. 

The second sprite design is the sort of thing that just reminds me of loads of obnoxious japanese platformers and anime I have zero interest in.  It's well crafted by you, sure, but I wouldn't play the game.  And I wonder what the reaction would be from gamers if Konami remade the Castlevania games using that sort of sprite design instead of the original.  For me the more realistic style has much more of it's own charm where the little girl with big eyes looks like it's trying to force it too much.

Can't say I'm fond of the blurry non-pixel art background either.  It's distracting and messes with my eyes a bit when trying to focus on the nice crisp pixelwork.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/