AuthorTopic: Might be of some interest to fans of either Zelda or the Cel-shaded look.  (Read 15423 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website
and everyone says OOT was soo great... am i the only one who thought it was really boring ?

Yeh, I also don't get what is so ace about OOT, nice game but i did not like the style at all, they could have pulled of something way nicer, a bit more in the style of the snes zelda. I played it on the Cube, got that special edition disc with 4 zeldas on it. Still have not finished it.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix
And calling the game ugly is just silly.
No saying, "SMIGGLE DIGGLE OFNI OGNA BLOGNA OHNIP DRUNAS ODBEOT EAOT MIOY CHROUNCHY CHOACK!" is.  Now see the Cel-Shaded in this plugin of OOT I like.   Wind Waker made me sick, Veatiful Joe too...

(There is a hidden message in my sillyness.)
(In case you cant find it, its; "Smuggle Doggles Off Ogna Beach") (Rest is rambling)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 02:13:29 am by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net
Wow that's an interesting mod! I'm personally on my second run of Wind Waker (in the crayfish shirt xD) but rather put away Ocarina 'cause the Biggoron quest was pissing me off... Haven't played it in a while since I got Four Swords.

Lots of people complained about the boating in WW but I guess it's all according to one's taste. I like adventures so I spent more time wandering and fishing for treasure in the boat than I did saving Zelda (reminiscent of Skies of Arcadia except without the battle interruptions). And hey, it's fun to fish for a useless pot when you're really aiming for a triforce shard :D

Comparing both games though is like apples to oranges, really... For an N64 game, Ocarina ain't so bad, Ganon was pretty scary... The boss designs in WW though, I personally think they're incredibly beautiful (and frightening... some enemies too, like those shreiking zombies O_O).  But if Nintendo ever got struck by lightning and remade it in the WW style for Gamecube... That could be kind of cool. The scary leopard-print streetwalking fairies, though... I'll take giggling alien fish people anytime. OK, I'll stop rambling now.

Long live Zelda 2! (/me runs away)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
Everything Schu said.

The only Zelda game I didn't like was Majora's Mask, due to the fact that they only gave you three days in which to perform the same thing over and over again. Actually, the game was good, and the dungeons were madly fun - it even had nice long sidequests - but I would have liked it alot more if I were given at least seven days. Just too painfully repetitive. Not to mention the fact that they put Clock town right in the middle of an otherwise large map. It should have been off to the side somewhere like in OOT, or maybe they could have even added an entirely new area called "Termina Plains" where there were small villages and houses scattered about with even more side quests to complete. The Goron's town cave place should have been more populous. Man, I might as well try making my own mod of MM, the way it should have been.

Oh, and some fun Ideas: http://web.telia.com/~u48508900/z1/zelda1.htm

Offline Faceless

• View Profile
Oh, and some fun Ideas: http://web.telia.com/~u48508900/z1/zelda1.htm

Just checked the link out, looks interesting.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile
Quote from: Schu
Long live Zelda 2! (/me runs away)

Zelda 2 is one of my favorites too.. I think we're in the minority :p
OH NO
typing ewith fdace

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile
OOT is my favourite as it was the first one I played. The last boss fight is also one of the best boss fights I've ever had. The mood was just fucking awesome. I got so freaked out when your sword gets chucked by gannon, you're surrounded by fire and you gotta take him down with some bows 'n' arrows while Ganon's smashing the castle rubble. Haven't palyed it in years, though so OOT probably seems crappy by now.

Can't say I really cared for Z1, though, the random moving enemies REALLY got on my nerves. especially when you got to rooms where you're facing 7 or 8 darknuts that take off a couple hearts for each hit. Thank god, you don't have to deal with that kind of shit today. I really think you've gotta have nostalgia to enjoy Z1 if you're going through it for the first time now.

Z2 was also interesting although, like Z1, it's lacking if you're going to play it today. I really like how they decided to do the sequel in a different viewpoint. I'd actaully really like to see them try it again, except keep the viewpoint permanent so you don't have the RPG like overworld, and maybe include more of the dungeon mechanics from the original Z. Yeah, I really wish they would give it another shot. It'd jsut be another metroid-clone, but Metroid and Z have some major similarties anyways, so what's the harm?

WW wasn't all that enjoyable for me either. The boating was cool at first, but after a travelling for a while, it started getting real boring. There were a couple of cool moments, like doing the quests on windfall island(I'm not sure this is correct, but I mean the island with teh windmill) really got me into it, but the simple dungeons, bosses, and excessive travelling wore me down and broke my spirit. The combat was just stupid, too. I'd really like to slap the dumb fucker who thought that mapping a pwn everything jump-flip-pirouette-sideways-somerfault-kickflip-roudhouse kick/sword slash to a single button press would make the combat more interesting. It only made the darknut fights annoying and took the terror you might feelr out of any fight. After looking at the new Z videos I think they also kept in it, sigh.

Last thing that pissed me off about it was the final fight. When Gannon closed the curtain on Zelda, and went all monster-ape shit, I was, like, "This is fucking awesome!". Then the curtain was pulled back and I saw myself looking at some droppy, slack-jawed retard. http://www.zeldauniverse.net/z10.php?page=z10bosses Puppet gannon doesn't look so bad on taht page, but a picture can't do him justice. You really gotta take a look at P ganon in motion to get any idea of just how much I was let down. He looks plain retarded and has this look on his face like he's simultaneously trying to pass gas and a baby at the same time. I was utterly insulted when I first saw him.

As for the original post, it looks cool. I look forward to seeing the finished product to see if it looks as nice in motion. That zelda link someone posted is also quite interesting. I really like the sketches, 'specially that moblin. It's fucking adorable.

For anyone that read through it, what do you think about the authors thoughts on non-linearity, I'm more of a believer of the quasi non-linearity perfected in the metroid model where it appears non-linear because you aren't directed by explicit instructions, but actually isn't because of the layout of the land that seals off difficult sections by requiring upgrades to move ahead.

EDIT: Was messing with the URL to that zelda page and I found a bunch more semi-completed monsters and what looks like a fully rendered boss from Zelda2. The one with a horsehead. http://web.telia.com/~u48508900/z1/
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 11:31:19 pm by crab2selout.png »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
I think Nonlinearity is one of the most monstrously wonderful things in videogames nowadays. I hate it when I feel pushed on through a game with no sense of freedom. At the start of a game, unless an area is blocked off for story reasons, you should most definately be able to explore it thoroughly. One of the worst things, I find, is when a game has insane potential, but it's madly killed due to the lack of freedom/nonlinearity.

And short games suck.

Offline Sawtooth

• growin' a beard
    • View Profile
This isn't really the right forum for serious gaming discussion.  I suggest that everybody leave this thread and go read a few game design textbooks.  Then spend a few months digging through insertcredit and the gamer's quarter, and then come back before you get too emo/postmodern.  Then we can all talk intelligently.

And short games suck.

I have just the game for you
rip ninjalicious

Offline Doomraider

• View Profile
I see not one opinion on Z3 in this post =( I think LTTP was DEFINITLY the best Zelda by far!