AuthorTopic: Might be of some interest to fans of either Zelda or the Cel-shaded look.  (Read 15421 times)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile
looks quite cool.
wind waker is the best looking zelda game, if you ask me. i've never been a big fan of the semi realistic style, they've tried a couple of times.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix
How dare you!!  Wind Waker was an insult to the Zelda series.  If it wins one more award for graphics I am going to kill everyone in a 15 mile radius.  There have been so many better looking Cel-shaded games.   Ocarina of Time is the best Zelda game to date, the new one comming out on GC should be good but you never know.  Miyamoto is a god...

But, your entitled to your own opinion and llegaly I can't force you to change it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 12:28:34 am by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
Wind Waker was an insult to the Zelda series.
Phreaking madman. WW was preaking great.
Although the upcoming one does demolish all other Zelda games graphically, IMO.
Those screens look pretty interesting, and if my compy weren't so crappy, I'd download a Z64 rom so I could get that when it comes out.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile
looks quite cool.
wind waker is the best looking zelda game, if you ask me. i've never been a big fan of the semi realistic style, they've tried a couple of times.

I'll have to agree with Kenneth on this one.

@BIW:
WW wasn't a failing to the Zelda series because of its graphics. WW's problem lay in it's length and difficulty.
And before I hear it, WW's graphics don't have to go hand in hand with a game designed for 7 year olds.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix
I never said its graphics where its only problem.  I was just stating I have seen Zelda WW get 8 awards for its graphics when there are much better looking cel-shaded game.  It got me ready to kill someone, that a lame game with ugly graphics won the award because of its title.  Graphics mean nothing to me, that’s why I still play games like Zelda OOT, The Legend Of Zelda on Nes, StarFox 64, Smash TV, Yoshis Safari, and Pokemon Snap. I still play them because of gameplay not graphics.  Would you want to play a movie realistic game where you just go to the store and buy eggs?
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website
I have to say that i quit enjoyed WW, even tho the gameplay lacked a bit. It was too easy and had some streneous parts (esp towards the end). But it also had some really genius bosses and sequences. And calling the game ugly is just silly. And tell me one of those celshaded games that look better. I can't think of many celshaded games, which came out earlier and none of those looked better.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
Its  all in style. There is really no way to compare any of the cell-shaded games that come to mind such as Jet Grind(Set) Radio, Fear Effect, XIII, Okami (I think that's what it's called), and Zelda. They all have completely and utterly different styles which provoke different feelings among people. It's like comparing Salvadore Dali to Leonardo da Vinci; they were both artists, but they had styles that could not be compared to one another.

As for the gameplay of WW, It was awesome, but the sailing was tedious and the rewards didn't seem rewarding enough: Go through a dungeon to get a treasure chart that leads to 200 rupees that you'll never spend. It was also a bit short for me, but everything else had a tangy zip. The story was also one of the more coherent ones in the Zelda series to me.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website
Heh, i forgot about Jet Grind Radio, that has a nice style and is quite a bit older, but XIII i did not like. :P
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile
in terms of gameplay, the 2d zelda games were by far the best ones (legend of zelda & minish cap)
the cutie style also goes much better with zelda, then trying to make stuff look semi realistic..... and everyone says OOT was soo great... am i the only one who thought it was really boring ?
anyway, cell shading is just a great way of hiding a low poly count and low res textures, a problem i have with the new princess something game, mostly in the screenshots where link is riding though.

oh and jet grind radio, great game, i really enjoyed both of them.