AuthorTopic: Bar scene corrections  (Read 14260 times)

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Re: Bar scene corrections

Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 05:21:44 am
One question: when I shifting brightness, do I need to shift hue with the same amount as the brightness? Or I shifting it differently?

I'm sure there's some math you can put to it, but it's really just whatever you feel like. Some games go as far as having the shadows be solid purple and highlights be solid yellow (i.e. shifting about as far as you can), but it's perfectly fine to just have hints of cool and warm. I'd suggest playing with it and seeing what you prefer.

And one more question: how much colors do I need, to restrict my color palette?

Just like the shifting, it's all about what you're comfortable with. You probably don't need more than 5-8 colors per object, and you should try to use the colors you have as much as is appropriate (like using the highlights of the wood for other yellowish things). If you want to challenge yourself you can always set a hard restriction, maybe 32 for something like this. But again, it doesn't matter unless you want it to, as long as you still keep it controlled.

Offline Volter9

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 06:39:19 am
I'm interesting, is here something like saturation shift? ;D
I found tutorial: http://kiwinuptuo.deviantart.com/art/Pixel-Art-Tutorial-Colors-184802567

But I'm not sure it's good. Do you know some tile set building tutorials?
I still don't understand how much colors I should to put in object... :(

Thanks, anyway.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 07:02:39 am
Honestly, no one can tell you how many colors should use. It all depends on the level of detail and shading you want, as well as the size of the object. You will probably need to increase the amount of colors in a particular ramp for larger objects, but in a scene like this I don't think it's totally necessary to have more than a few colors per object.

Often times you will find pixel art with either 8, 16 or 32 color limitations, but like Phlakes said, there's no real reason (anymore) to have to do that.

It's not really about how many colors you use, it's about how you use the colors that you've selected.

For me, this is the point where I study other people's pixel art, find something similar to what I want to create, see how they use their limitations, study their palette choices, etc.

Just keep experimenting, like others have said your last update is about 20 times better than the original.  :y:

Offline Volter9

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: December 12, 2012, 12:30:09 am
A little improvements: (Monochromatic, no hue, I worried only about values)

I think I should to learn how to choose colors ;D

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: December 18, 2012, 01:35:49 am
I apologize in advance if this post violates some rule or another, but that hue shifting tutorial (the thread from THIS board) has several dead images in it. Is there any chance of seeing them again? That tut pops up seemingly any time somebody asks about hue shifting, and I feel like I'm missing out.

Offline Cage

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 11:45:03 am
It's good you've upped the resolution of the piece, I recommend you do so further - not exactly a big picture, but use a bigger scale for your objects - I think that working in larger scale helps learning the principles, since it's harder to get things right by "trial and error" than in a smaller scale.

Stuff I'd like to point out:

1. Everything has black outlines except the bottles in the back and the jug/dispenser thing to the left of the character. (What is it actually? It's not clear) I assume you didn't outline them, because they're supposed to be made of glass, and so, transparent, but it looks weird - it could work if you could see the difference in used material in the shading - shininess, a bit of reflection etc, but it looks the same as other objects. I recommend the video game/cartoon aproach - ditch the outlines in the background completely (or make them very light) and use outlines for objects which can take any action (characters, vehicles etc.) or are in the foreground.

2. The pitcher thing on the counter again - it seems that it's top lid/whatever is shown. This conflicts with the straight-on perspective you've used for everything else - unless this object's top is supposed to be at an angle to the camera/viewer.

3. A bit of a "future" note: in case of any textures, create them after shading your objects. You should work from general to specific.

4. Left part of the bottles shelves/rack behind the bar - is it a shadow (From what? What casts it?) or is it shading used to make the bottle shelf look angular like this:

Code: [Select]
|
\____

5. Shading objects - while the highlighted edge "beveled" look works for blocks and flat stuff, it seems you've used it everywhere. Try to give the scene more variety, like making the tables and bottles actually rounded - this will require different shading. Try to look for any cylindrical objects around your house and see how they behave in different lighting conditions (you can use a flashlight or a desk lamp), or look at some photos. For example:

Besides shapes consider the actual materials used - this table for example has some shine to it.

5. If you want to challenge yourself with limited color, try to reduce the amount used in the latest picture - if I'm correct, you've used 20 shades and I'm sure you could safely cut down the amount to 8 for example. You might even end up with better contrast in the process!

6. I wouldn't worry about hue shifts too much for now. Try to focus on contrast and values, and try to pick hues that fit the theme and mood of your scene, try to make them not dull and, at the same time, not over saturated. If you necessarily want to make some hue shifts, I'd try to make the lighter shades/higlights warmer than midtones, and you can try to pick a shadow color, blue or green for example, and make the darker shades in your color ramps gradually shift a bit to those hues before going black (You can try not to use 100% pure black too, but I leave this to you, as your stylistic decision)

Hope this helps, you've already made progress. :) Good luck!